iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder Tracks

Started by deastman, December 25, 2017, 06:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Anyone tried welding new caulks on tracks? I've heard you have to heat the track link up to something like 400* before welding on it or the link will end up breaking. The caulks on my tracks are worn down but I'd like to get some more life out of them considering what a new set costs. Cost effective or not? Would you use grouser bar or do the track manufacturers sell replacement caulks? There's a skidder chain manufacturer about an hour from me, maybe they would sell just the caulks that they use on ring chains, look about the same as what the tracks had when new.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

mike_belben

I imagine the bars are some sort of wear resistant alloy which in general have high chromium and dont like being rapidly heated or cooled.  Typically handled like cast iron with a preheat and post heat. But im guessing here, would contact manufacturer and ask what alloy they are.
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

deastman

Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

chevytaHOE5674

I re corked a few bars a couple winters ago and they lasted all of about 100 feet and a few stumps before cracking apart. That's when I was informed of the proper welding procedure. When followed it works well and the bars hold up. Having said that its a PITA and I don't think I would do it again. haha

Skeans1

Are most of you guys running 7018 rods on them or dual shield flux core wire?

chevytaHOE5674

Eco track specifies a certain type of rod or wire. 7018 and pre heating is what caused mine to crack. I used the proper stainless rod they spec out (had to order it) and didn't have to preheat. The non stainless rod and wire option requires pre heating.

Not sure on the wire if it's flux core or not.

Skeans1

They wire they spec is a dual shield 7100 it takes 75/25 shielding gas it's a flux cored wire it's good stuff that burns deep and hot.
The stainless rod almost sounds like a 309 or 312 they're normally a repair or service rod.

barbender

All I know is, if done wrong it causes your cross bars to break. The correct rod and welding procedure is important, but so is the position of the caulks. Keep them towards the outside of the crossbar, like the manual specifies. I had many track woes because of improper caulk application, it's a bummer when you're heading back in the woods from the landing and you see someone lost a whole track in the middle of the skid trail. Then you realize it's your's😂
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Also weld placement is key, don't weld where they tell you not too. Ha

Riwaka

I think Clark tracks in Scotland started because they were fixing eco-tracks. The UK pound might be less with the exchange rate than anything that is converted from a Euro purchase. Might try a few of the links if the eco? links are getting worn and the new track bars are going to load up the old links more.
https://www.clarktracks.com/en/accessories/track-repair-links.html  (listed dealer as wallingford, Oakland, Me)
and newer haggis link if suitable.
https://www.clarktracks.com/en/accessories/haggis-link.html

chep

Out welded built up these tracks last spring. Rototikkerz in the summer, lost a few to rocks...but on snow and ice they are doing their job very well.
All I know is he did some fancy heat treating to prep the weld

mike_belben

Is that an r4 loader tire or an actual forestry tire with r4 tread?
Praise The Lord

chep

BargeMonkey

How can you tell if a set of tracks is completely thrashed ? Do they run till they literally fall apart or the side links give out ?

Skeans1

If you want some pictures of a set that's worn out I can do that our forwarder tracks are paper thin.

chevytaHOE5674

They will run until the loops on the cross bars where the side links connect wear thin and start pulling through. Also the bars get smooth on the inside and it's hard to keep the tires from just spinning in the tracks.

snowstorm

the loops got thin on 1 set of mine. used 1\2" flat bar had it bent so it would fit around it then welded for hours on end. i tried to find something to go on the inside. i know i saw some online somewhere once. the weld on part to a d ring for a trailer may work. but is it hard enough?

Skeans1

A guy out here runs chains across the inside of his tracks on his harvesters and forwarders for more traction 2 in the summer then 8 in the winter.

barbender

On the big forwarders, the cross bars get where they keep breaking. Then I call the boss and ask for a new set. The old forwarder tracks then get run on a Harvester, where life is much easier for a track.

mike_belben

Would rebar inside the track bar help with traction and take up some slack?  Ive seen it done on doodlebugs with good result.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on December 29, 2017, 11:09:10 AM
On the big forwarders, the cross bars get where they keep breaking. Then I call the boss and ask for a new set. The old forwarder tracks then get run on a Harvester, where life is much easier for a track.
Can I ask why an old forwarder track would go on a harvester?

chevytaHOE5674

The harvester does see near the miles or abuse on the tracks. They are generally just crawling along in the woods instead of running back and forth to the woods loaded up at full speed.

barbender

What Chevy said. Harvester tracks don't endure the abuse that forwarder tracks do. Picture the BuffaloKing with 20 tons of wood piled on it running over a 16" stump. Another example, one of our contract harvesters tracks accidentally got installed on one of our forwarders for a few weeks before the mistake was caught, he wasn't happy because his tracks got stretched way out.

Skeans1

Interesting  idea I'd figure you'd want both to be aggressive especially out here where the ground is steep.

Thank You Sponsors!