iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade scrapper material

Started by TVE1998, September 07, 2018, 09:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TVE1998

Hello looking for some ideas on what material to use on my Linn mill for a blade scrapper. I tried a piece of pvc material but it didn't last long, thinking wood would be the same. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mike_belben

UHMW from a cutting board or street hockey stick. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

My first question would be why do you think you need a scraper?  Many times the issue of build up on the bands can be addressed by adjusting the water / lube you are using in addition to the volume of it.  This is much more effective than trying to scrape off any pitch which is hard stuck to the steel.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

When I get a heavy buildup on my bands, I engage the blade "slightly" and as it's rotating I scrape the buildup off with a putty knife!  Once I get the majority of the buildup removed, I up the lube flow!

Just have to be careful!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

After sawing nearly 3 Mbft of SYP this week, I don't think a scraper is necessary.  I too just increased the water/detergent line mix to flood the blade during run back of the saw head. It cleaned the blade very well.  

When I began my next cut the blade would clean up so I reduced the lube flow.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

TVE1998

Thanks for the information. Not really having any build up of pitch, which is surprising my arms stick to the white pine I'm sawing like fly paper. Cleaning my Harry arms up is a different story. It seems to help divert the sawdust from going up inside and building up on the saw head. I plan on someday trying to fab something to the bottom of the guard as well to keep the sawdust from spraying out all over. Thinking it would be easier to clean up.

Southside

Usually dust build up around the band wheels is a sign of using too much water / lube.  You want just barely enough to keep the band clean, but yet the sawdust coming out of the chute is dry so it gets thrown away rather than riding back around.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fstedy

I use a piece of broken sawblade with teeth groung off and handle made for it nice wire look on end of handle makes it readily available. We have a lot of pitch pine here has a lot of resin in it and really helps to keep a straight cut if you clean the blade every few cuts. Just run blade slow and hold it on.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Crusarius

Quote from: TVE1998 on September 08, 2018, 08:49:12 PM
Thanks for the information. Not really having any build up of pitch, which is surprising my arms stick to the white pine I'm sawing like fly paper. Cleaning my Harry arms up is a different story. It seems to help divert the sawdust from going up inside and building up on the saw head. I plan on someday trying to fab something to the bottom of the guard as well to keep the sawdust from spraying out all over. Thinking it would be easier to clean up.

If I am understanding you right I left the bottom of the guard open but added a rubber flap on the outlet and now it directs the sawdust right down in a nice clean line. Before I added that it would shoot 60' out the end of the mill. 

Thank You Sponsors!