iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old age and Injury have changed my priorities, EASY starting, LIGHT weight!

Started by weimedog, October 30, 2018, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: ZeroJunk on November 26, 2018, 10:29:57 AM
I pulled out my old flat top 066 Thanksgiving Day to get a tree off of my Grandmas old house.  Pulling the rope is not the big deal but the kick back is just awful. I got it going and used it for what I needed. But, I think I will sell it and maybe get a MS661.

I have had several 056 Mag II's, several MS660's, even a 2101XP, but I have never had a saw as mean as this one.

Or, as the OP says, I'm just old.
What are you cutting that necessitates the power (and the weight) of a 661?
If you really need a high powered saw, but could get by with a bit less, wait for the Stihl 462 to become available in the US. It's something like 3 pounds lighter than the 661, and still about 6 HP.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Greyhound

For the least effort on the pull, there is the Stihl Easy2Start and Echo i-30 systems that have a spring assisted pull start.  For least # of pulls then AutoTune or Mtronics are good.

HolmenTree

You can't find an easier starting saw if it has a decompression valve button, no matter how big it is.

But if it's still a feat, then follow the owners manual instructions.
Saw on ground ,  chain brake on , foot in or on rear handle....

Only easier route is a battery saw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

I always do the first start on the ground. After it's warm I'll drop start it. Feels easier to control.

Al_Smith

On those mule kickers the easiest way to save your fingers is to install a Stihl 460 rescue saw D-handle .They are less than 10 bucks at a dealer .
Some complain the handle gets in their way but it really does not .As far as I'm concerned it's the best D-handle on the market .I have one on a 2100 Husqvarna ,Stihl 084 and a souped up Stihl 038 Magnum 

ZeroJunk

Quote from: John Mc on November 26, 2018, 06:14:36 PM
I pulled out my old flat top 066 Thanksgiving Day to get a tree off of my Grandmas old house.  Pulling the rope is not the big deal but the kick back is just awful. I got it going and used it for what I needed. But, I think I will sell it and maybe get a MS661.

I have had several 056 Mag II's, several MS660's, even a 2101XP, but I have never had a saw as mean as this one.

If you really need a high powered saw, but could get by with a bit less, wait for the Stihl 462 to become available in the US. It's something like 3 pounds lighter than the 661, and still about 6 HP.
This farm was logged in 1960 and they left the oaks that were in fence lines and around the old home place. When they die or get blown over I usually try to save the fire wood.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 26, 2018, 08:06:17 PM
You can't find an easier starting saw if it has a decompression valve button, no matter how big it is.

But if it's still a feat, then follow the owners manual instructions.
Saw on ground ,  chain brake on , foot in or on rear handle....

Only easier route is a battery saw.
The decomp does not help that much. The saw fires and kicks the decomp out before it gets to the top of the stroke, jerks it out of your hand just the same. It's possible that the timing of the ignition has changed a little over time, although unless the flywheel has moved I don't see how it could change much.
I sold a flat top 066 that didn't have the decomp and got this one thinking it would solve the problem, but it doesn't.
It's just a dumb coil firing 25 or more degrees BDTC. Not much to do about it except be younger and stronger.

John Mc

Quote from: ZeroJunk on November 27, 2018, 05:11:18 PM
Quote from: John Mc on November 26, 2018, 06:14:36 PM

This farm was logged in 1960 and they left the oaks that were in fence lines and around the old home place. When they die or get blown over I usually try to save the fire wood.

OK, now I get it. Glad you parked the truck next to it for scale.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Inaotherlife

teakwood

Quote from: ZeroJunk on November 27, 2018, 05:21:53 PMThe decomp does not help that much. The saw fires and kicks the decomp out before it gets to the top of the stroke, jerks it out of your hand just the same. It's possible that the timing of the ignition has changed a little over time, although unless the flywheel has moved I don't see how it could change much. I sold a flat top 066 that didn't have the decomp and got this one thinking it would solve the problem, but it doesn't. It's just a dumb coil firing 25 or more degrees BDTC. Not much to do about it except be younger and stronger.

My 066 does exactly the same! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

I never noticed on my two 066's. One with and other without decomp. I guess I should try the decomp button :D

Al_Smith

I only had one close the decomp on me and it scared me to death .Old McCulloch sp 81 I'd enhanced a little which like a moron I drop started .Closed the decomp and fired and walked the rope .If it would have started it could have cut my arm off ---never-never ever again . :o

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 28, 2018, 07:41:29 AMI guess I should try the decomp button

Willard, at your age you should always use the decomp button!  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ladylake

If you really want a light weight easy starting, great handling saw get a Echo Cs400 off Ebay  for around $230 or when the dealers are running their 20% off sale for $240/ Pull the limiter caps and tune good and open up the clogged up muffler.  Everyone loves these saws with that done to them.  I have around 30 to 40 saws all brand and I could only have one the CS400 would be it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

weimedog

My "Old Man Saw Build", Basically a blend of parts that ends up being a Husqvarna 560xp with a popup piston....Easiest starting saw I own short of the 120i. Hot or Cold. Makes No difference. A Husqvarna 560 is the same as a Jonsered cs2260 mechanically BTW

Building A Husqvarna 560xp? or Ultimate Old Man Saw! ( Husqvarna 120i Cameo?) - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Hilltop366

I was looking for a small saw a while back for something to limb larger trees and cut and limb smaller trees to compliment the 361 I have.  I looked at the pro saws but was resistant to drop that much money on one knowing it will not get a lot of use. I looked at the Echo but the local dealer had no small ones and was not planning to stock any because a building supply chain was suppose to be taking them on and he figured he he would not be able to compete on price. After several months I gave up and ended up getting a Makita EA3601 on line. For under 400 Canadian taxes and delivered, although it is a bit smaller in cc's it was almost ½ the price of the pro saws and appears to be well built with vertical split magnesium engine case fully adjustable carb. I have only put a few tanks through it but it seems to work well so far and is super easy to start. I'll access the cutting to be done before I grab a saw hoping that the Makita will fit the bill.

I will add that the single kill switch/choke is push up for choke and down for off like it should be, (like the rest of the world) but I am finally getting use to up for off on the 361 so ½ the time when I shut off the Makita I apply the choke. ::)

weimedog

For some reason neither Echo or Dolmar do well in this area. The Cutting Edge 4 hours east of here is one of the best dealers of any brand and they do well in a similar economy and with similar types of tree's. The Echo dealers seem to show up, and then disappear. The one that is open never has any inventory, an "order only" place. They sell Dolmar / Makita too.....same deal. And I have never seen a one come through the shops that I do work for or my place...for the under $400 dollars saws is all the plastic Stihl's and Husqvarna's. If I were a true business I would focus more on the orange and white as I turn down as much of that work as I take on with the older Stihls and Husqvarna's. The ones with a "1" on the end of their model number. Funny thing for me is the OLDER Stihl's like the 290's and that era.....and the Husqverna 455's too. Those plastic saw come when they either have been crushed, straight gased, or water in the fuel. That older set of saws were bullet proof. Both brands. But especially those older Stihl's with the rubber hockey pucks for antivib's. And probably why none of the other "price" point saws took hold, as most would rather have a used old Stihl than a new price point saw. AND we have a Tractor Supply & Lowes that eat up the rest of the low cost market here. So...no "Echo's" in these hills.

But to the Echo's and Dolmars....Why is that? Tempted to grab a couple off eBay and pick them over. I like the concept of those smaller Dolmar/Makita's anyway. Who knows. Might get my hands on some. I did get an EFCO, a while back, older design but a really nice saw. And the one that wasn't a clam shell was real easy to perk up. Underrated saws for certain.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on November 29, 2018, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 28, 2018, 07:41:29 AMI guess I should try the decomp button

I still got some kick in me ;D

I can't bench press 3 plates (315 lbs) for reps anymore  but on a good day I can still squeeze out 1 rep. :)

ZeroJunk

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 30, 2018, 12:04:22 PM

I can't bench press 3 plates (315 lbs) for repetition anymore  but on a good day I can still squeeze out 1. :)
I sold that saw to a big old boy with the understanding that it had a mean kick back. He started it at my house easy as pie and then called me later saying that it ripped the handle out of his hands like five times in a row. Called back a little later and said the key was sheared. Makes me feel a lot stupid, but after reading so much about the kick back I just thought it was the nature of the beast.  I should have looked.

weimedog

How about 2094's.....that's a saw that needs a decomp. But also a saw that doesn't fit the old man anymore, at least no this one.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 30, 2018, 12:04:22 PM

I can't bench press 3 plates (315 lbs) for repetition anymore  but on a good day I can still squeeze out 1. :)
There is a song about folks like that..:)
Toby Keith - As Good As I Once Was - YouTube

Al_Smith

When my daughter was VP of media productions for a large US bank she did a benefit with Toby K in I think Detroit ..

Beachcomber

This is a great thread!

I get chronic Tennis elbow. Pull starts flare it up before I even start cutting.

I have an MS211 and it has Easy start and a great thing to have on a saw.  Great to start after fighting with something that's a pig. I was running a nasty old lawnmower this year and it was terrible to start and put my tennis elbow back years.

I was wondering, has anyone modded their chainsaw so you could start it with an impact driver? I saw people using electric drills on youtube on lawnmowers etc, but an impact driver would be as good if not better.

What about chains? I know there is loads talked about chains but does anyone have an opinion on what is the best chain in terms of smoothness / low vibration when cutting but not a safety chain?

I am considering a narrow kerf chain for my 436XPG. Are these smoother than a regular kerf, and is semi-chisel smoother than full chisel?

John Mc

Quote from: Beachcomber on December 04, 2018, 05:53:10 AMI was wondering, has anyone modded their chainsaw so you could start it with an impact driver? I saw people using electric drills on youtube on lawnmowers etc, but an impact driver would be as good if not better.

I would use a screwdriver/drill, rather than an impact driver. I'd be a bit concerned about what the impact action would do to the saw's internals. I could swear I saw a thread either here somewhere about someone who was working on an electric start.  If you do it, you need to make sure it has some sort of over-running clutch, or drives through the existing starting mechanism, so once the saw starts running, the drill is not directly connected to the spinning crankshaft.

weimedog

Quote from: John Mc on December 04, 2018, 08:03:09 AM
Quote from: Beachcomber on December 04, 2018, 05:53:10 AMI was wondering, has anyone modded their chainsaw so you could start it with an impact driver? I saw people using electric drills on youtube on lawnmowers etc, but an impact driver would be as good if not better.

I would use a screwdriver/drill, rather than an impact driver. I'd be a bit concerned about what the impact action would do to the saw's internals. I could swear I saw a thread either here somewhere about someone who was working on an electric start.  If you do it, you need to make sure it has some sort of over-running clutch, or drives through the existing starting mechanism, so once the saw starts running, the drill is not directly connected to the spinning crankshaft.
McCulloch,  they had a saw that was e-start back in the day..:) Of course then you had to carry that pig around!

McCulloch 3-10 E , electric start chainsaw - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!