iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just wondering what brand saw everyone uses

Started by 567paloggger, August 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forum Nikocker!

I really like Stihl, got a MS361 that got me thru Katrina damage without a hitch.

Also, have a Solo that gave me 20 years of home/farm/firewood use without problems. 

I have a great Stihl dealer.

What I see in this thread so far is that there are alot of good saw brands available.   

Even if Stihl is the best :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Meadows Miller

Gday
Quote from: fishpharmer on September 09, 2009, 05:00:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Nikocker!

I really like Stihl, got a MS361 that got me thru Katrina damage without a hitch.

Also, have a Solo that gave me 20 years of home/farm/firewood use without problems. 

I have a great Stihl dealer.

What I see in this thread so far is that there are alot of good saw brands available.  

Even if Stihl is the best :D

I dont know about that one James  ;) I Thought Husky was that Best Mate  ??? ;) :D :D  :D  8)

Like Dads Drilled into me since i could listen   ;) is that  most saws are only as good as their Owner is to them  ;) ;D 8) Some are Just better left on the Shelf  ;)

He liked Macs untill thay stoped building them in the USA    ??? :) ::)  :( His dad got him one on his last big falling job in 89 when his husky blewup Puppa went and got him this cheap mac on his way up to get a load of logs to save dad the time he'd loose apparently  ;) :D and dad spent 7 hours up on the landing troubble shooting trying to get the thing to run  :o :) ::)turned aruond cracked it big time Put the bar cover back on and belted the thing repeatedly up against a tree then drove his 15 ton Kato over it  :( >:( :o :) ::) Next Morning he had a new Husky

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

John Mc

Quote from: Meadows Miller on September 09, 2009, 07:38:41 PM
most saws are only as good as their Owner is to them  ;) ;D 8) Some are Just better left on the Shelf  ;)

Would that be some owners, or some saws are better left on the shelf (or both)? :D

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Meadows Miller

:D :D :D :D John I think that can go both ways Mate  ;) :D :D You should have seen some of the saws ppl have brought in to me asking to sort out why its not working too well for them  :o :) :) ??? ::) ::) What the Hell have you done to it  :o ;) :D :D ::)

That little mac that dad had for a whole 8 hrs Was when he and the ecavator opperator were expeacted to get atleast 3to4 28 ton semi loads out a day  :) Thats Alot of wood in 12" to 24" Dbh trees  ;) and like he said to puppa when he got there with this Elcheapo $500 saw expecting him to keep up  :o You Can Take that Bloody thing Back to the shop or the mill  and ill go get a decent one ???  :( ::) Like dad said things would have been Fine if the Bloody thing would have just runn rite for him  ::) ::) He spent about $1100 on the husky  ;)
Puppa thought for afew years that the tree had lent back pinching the bar then when they pushed it over it had gotten crushed when the tree spunn of the stump  ;)  Dad let it him in on it at a family Bbq  ;) :D Puppa What!!! and Dad Well the thing cost us a day which was about $5ks lost production  ;) Puppas last reply was well i spose so  ;) :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bossltr

Howdy I'm new here and having a blast so far readin'
Names' Brian Rodgers been workin in the woods for 30 plus years
NOTE FROM ADMIN>NO OFF SITE PHOTOS ALLOWED. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY! READ THE FORESTRY FORUM RULES!
I am so glad to have found this place.
Thanks for havin me.
Started out with Mac1010, 610s,  numerous Homelites, Sach Dolmar, stolen on a trip to town, bummer, got a 036 Stihl as a replacement, for workin Ponderosa Pine, and a little Jonsereds which I rebuilt the engine on, crap twenty years ago because of a wrist pin failure Jonserds gave me all the parts for free, so that was cool, use the little saw for New Mexico small Pinon and Cedar, my bro has an 026 & 036 Stihl as well as a big Husky for this Alaska Mill:
NOTE FROM ADMIN>NO OFF SITE PHOTOS ALLOWED. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY! READ THE FORESTRY FORUM RULES!
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

fishpharmer

Brian,

Welcome to Forestry Forum. 

Nice pictures.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Brian
Welcome to the forum. Spent some time in Western New Mexico in the ponderosa and D fir country on the Gila Nat'l Forest. Great summer near Reserve. Your area reminds me a lot of that time. Beautiful.

Look forward to hearing more about your interests in biofuels, forestry, and making sawdust.

So's we don't lose them, your pics in your gallery here would be great too.  :)

Saves us from having red X's in little boxes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: John Woodworth on August 27, 2009, 08:38:25 PM
Al: had forgot about the old David Bradley until you mentioned yours, thought I might get the old girl running again, are carb kits and points still around for them? Also I rember using 30 wt. oil in the saw mix, seems like it was 1 quart to 5 gallons of gas, does that sound rite to you?
Sorry I missed this question .The carb is just a standard Tillotson model HL ,kits are available and actually better than the old .Here of late they are using better materials that hold up better to the ethanal type gasolines they are forcing us to use .

The points I doubt ever go bad although for reasons unknown everyone seems to want to change them  ???. The DB's used a Phelon type ignition used on boat motors such as Mercurys and older Homelite chainsaw engines . If anything the points might need a little polishing up at the most . Occasionaly the condenser might be faulty or rarely the coil .

Fact is ,as I type I myself need a Phelon coil for an old Lombard that also uses a power products AH-47 engine,same as the DB .

bossltr

Thanks everyone
No need to worry about the red X's with my images, they are all linked to my website and knock on wood, that site has been around for as long as the Internet has 8)
I went looking for the place to create my photo album here, and it didn't pop out at me.
Brian
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

Jeff

Quote from: bossltr on September 13, 2009, 08:44:33 AM
Thanks everyone
No need to worry about the red X's with my images, they are all linked to my website and knock on wood, that site has been around for as long as the Internet has 8)
I went looking for the place to create my photo album here, and it didn't pop out at me.
Brian

Once again, in public this time, read the forum rules.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Well Bossltr  you might have a website as old as dirt but you aren't going to change these guys .So you either do things the way they want or else you post no pictures .Just the way it is .

I gave up a long time ago .I don't tell people how to run a web site because it's none on my business .

Obviously there are easier ways to post pictures but because of whatever reason they prefer to do things another way of which I have no comment about because it's not my site . I kind of figure in my own little life of posting on several sites if someone wanted to see any of my stuff they could hunt me down on the web under the same user name . ;) --I'm real easy to find .

Toolman

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!