iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Saws

Started by brent smith, November 17, 2013, 04:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lone wolf

Well that explains what stihl was thinking! I dont know why people need the squench to open the old type if you dont crank it too tight it will open by hand! I still say flippys fail and open up and dump oil or gas on you it is just a matter of time !
7900                                                               461
200T

cheeves

Quote from: lone wolf on November 17, 2013, 09:17:13 AM
No if they did we would not be talking about the problem. :)
Hey good Buddy!
How yah doin' in this wind and cold? Still bowin' like crazy up here on old Watson's Hill!  Wind chill 1 degree!

pwheel

Don't see what the fuss is all about. I have 5 Stihl saws and never have a problem with flippy caps. Oh, wait, the 10-yr old ms440 developed a small gas cap leak last week; $7 for a new one. Must be junk; should I sell it? LOL
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

hoyboy1970

i've owned Stihl saws for over 20 years. all my current ones have flippy caps. i have never had a problem with them. newer ones have an alignment arrow stamped on the cap and case/housing. a little patience is all i have ever needed.
quite a few Stihls. firewood cutter. chainsaw enthusiast.

JohnG28

Quote from: pwheel on November 24, 2013, 06:33:19 PM
Don't see what the fuss is all about. I have 5 Stihl saws and never have a problem with flippy caps. Oh, wait, the 10-yr old ms440 developed a small gas cap leak last week; $7 for a new one. Must be junk; should I sell it? LOL

Yeah, you should sell it. I'll give you $100! :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

David-L

Jonsered has the old basic caps and they need no tools. I had an 026 Pro and had issues with the multiple caps i had to buy. I no longer run Sthil. Except my old trusty 044 with old caps.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treechopper40

ive had 6-7 stihls with the flippy caps and im a logger not a weekend warrior they were using over 2 gallon of fuel a day and never had a problem with one of them I still have a 460 magnum with them caps the saws going on 4 years old with the original caps still on it
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Red Good

Bizarre part is the only flippy cap I have problems with is the oil , 4-5 times i have filled it and walked back into the woods and all the oil is on my leg . That sucks large . Gas never had a problem . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

CRThomas

Quote from: ladylake on November 17, 2013, 07:44:00 AM

Sure a lot of complaints about those caps, you'd think Stihl would come out with different ones.   Steve
I always run my saws out of fuel. But this time I was in a hurry and had to leave in a minutes notice. I only use Gas and bar oil from my Stihl dealer i begone for 30 days will I have trouble starting my saws I have SWtihl 180 261 362 love them

CRThomas

Quote from: msjdgman on November 17, 2013, 09:38:41 AM
The little 250 was my first Stihl, and at first I hated these darned caps.  Eventually I got used to them and don`t have any complaints about them now.  The oil cap on that 250 did want to stick in the locked position when removed on occasion, until my son borrowed it and broke it.  We put a new one in and end of issue.
No proble if you don't over fill

CRThomas

Quote from: AKDoug on November 17, 2013, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: JohnG28 on November 17, 2013, 07:12:22 PM
On my 3 saws with them I only had an issue with the fuel cap of my 361. Always wanted to not close. It eventually broke an d since replacing has had no issues. I believe some early ones were recalled.
Flippy caps on just about everything other than chainsaws were recalled. On the chainsaws they did make a new cap with an alignment mark and they were phased in.  I actually sell very few of these caps.
You a dealer ask a Question I always run gas out of my saws do to a minutes notice had to leave. So my saws still have gas in them They are Stihl 180 261 362 i only use gas and oil from my Stihl dealer it cost more but its simple. Will my saws be hard to start after 30 days.I don't fool with gas cans and mixing gas any more. i carry a little can of regular gas to wash around the cap to clean saw dust off with my little paint brush

SquareG

DanG, took 3 pages for someone to mention how much dirt the flip style gets in the tank every time you fill it, because the seal is below the top rim.  I wrecked my 460 real bad a couple weeks ago, bought new 660 partly for the old style caps.  Never have used the wrench on it or 028.

Thank You Sponsors!