iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS-590

Started by funbaker10, June 01, 2014, 01:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Guess thats the main gist of my question. Would you buy it again.

Was in a nearby Echo dealer, the only one sort of close, and he only had one Echo saw on the shelf. Course I guess it's a slow time for chainsaw sell and he normally stocks nothing larger than the 590.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Andyshine77

Quote from: luvmexfood on June 08, 2014, 08:27:50 PM
Guess thats the main gist of my question. Would you buy it again.

Was in a nearby Echo dealer, the only one sort of close, and he only had one Echo saw on the shelf. Course I guess it's a slow time for chainsaw sell and he normally stocks nothing larger than the 590.

The 590 is an awesome saw at an even better price. I didn't buy my 590 to really keep it, I just wanted to see what it's all about, as I have 20 or so other saws anyway. After using it some, I'm actually going to keep it.

If you guys are interested, I've been thinking about making a quick video explaining some very basic chain sharpening methods for firewood cutters.   
Andre.

thecfarm

If you guys are interested, I've been thinking about making a quick video explaining some very basic chain sharpening methods for firewood cutters.

That sounds good to me. And would help out alot of other members that have questions on how to file and not to file a chain. It's not hard to do,just takes practice and someone really has to show you how to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

funbaker10

Well, I finally got a chance to do some cutting with my Echo 590 I purchased back in June.  I had started it a couple times but yesterday was the first time I cut with it.  I had been a bit paranoid about the potentially lean carb settings coming from the factory that several folks had mentioned. 

So first, to clarify a couple things.  Andyshine77 had a video showing how to remove the carb adjustment limiter caps.  Is my understanding correct that the screw was used simply to thread into the plastic limiter as a means to grab onto and pull out the limiter?  That's what I did and then with a utility knife I cut off the two tabs on each limiter and pushed the plastic limiter back over the adjustment screw.  That said, is there any reason to put the red plastic limiter cap back on or can a guy simply leave it off for easy access to the adjustment screw?  I then adjusted the high adjustment a good 1/4 turn out (counterclockwise...I hope).  The saw fired up nicely, idled nice, and I went out and did my cutting.  I'm not too confident in my ability to hear when it's too rich or just right though.  When I squeeze it wide open at no load (bar/chain in the air) how do I know if it is hitting the rev limiter or "4 stroking"? 

The saw cut great.  The only saw I've got much experience with beside this one is an old 1970 Homelite my dad had.  That was a pretty small saw.  The difference, as expected, was night and day.  Plenty of power for me and it idled great when set down to move stuff in prep for next cut. 

When I finished I adjusted the high out another 1/4 turn and will see how that works next time, hopefully tomorrow.  Is there any big downside to running too rich?  Obviously spot on is best but better too rich than too lean.

Happy cutting.

Ianab

Err on the side of slightly too rich. That runs both slightly cooler and has a little more oil in the system, so nothing bad happens.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on June 08, 2014, 01:57:27 PM

A CS590 will have a LOT more power than a 029 or MS290, not even close.   Steve

CS590 specs are 3.0 kW/4.1 hp, and then the hp of the 029/290 are known to be "weak", because of a less than efficient "power-band".....
Information collector.

JohnG28

Given that you're not positive about how well it is running and whether it is "4 stroking" or not an easy way to check your settings is to pull and look at the spark plug. If it's grey/white then it's too lean and needs more fuel. If it's black or carboned or shows wet fuel then it's too rich. And lastly, if (hopefully) all is well the plug will be a nice brown color. If so you're good to go. And you are correct about counterclockwise being more rich, clockwise is more lean.  Glad you like the new saw.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

The good thing about the 590 and some other saws. Is the fact the carb is designed to provide somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of the required fuel, even with the high needle seated , so it's unlikely that your saw is tuned too lean. I have a carb tuning video which explains what to listen for. And yes you can get an idea of the tune by looking at the plug, but that's not an exact science, and has many variables.
Andre.

JohnG28

Yes, it certainly not precise by any means. But for the average person trying to get it right but not sure they know what they're looking or listening for its a good way to know where you are at...roughly.  ::)  There are variables regardless of your technique to get it set though. To hear 4 stroking for yourself check out Madsen's site.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

funbaker10

Thanks to everyone for all the advice/tips.  I will do some heavy cutting, get it good and warmed up, shut it down and pull the plug next time I take the saw out.  Does anyone know for sure whether the CS590 has a rev limiter?  Do most or any chainsaws have rev limiters?  I also plan on turning the high screw out (CCW) a bit more to see if what I'm hearing (pulsing for lack of a better term) at WOT/no load gets more pronounced.  If there is no rev limiter then what I'm hearing must be "four stroking".  If there is a rev limiter then I wouldn't expect the pulsing sound to change much. 

Definitely loving the saw so far though.  If it keeps running like it is for many years to come I will be all smiles. 

7sleeper

As far as I know all modern saws are rev limited, so it is often better to err on the rich side of the carb settings. But the vid of Andyshine77 is a good start.

Good luck!

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on September 14, 2014, 03:25:57 AM
As far as I know all modern saws are rev limited, so it is often better to err on the rich side of the carb settings. But the vid of Andyshine77 is a good start.

Good luck!

A lot of them surely have, but I believe all is an exaggregation - but then what is modern?   :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!