iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese Food 3 Times a Day - You Get Used to It.

Started by porcupine, January 25, 2011, 03:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

In 1993 my brother was asked by the Chinese Government to come to Beijing. They fully paid for his trip and provided him with two interpreters for right at a month. They flew him into different provinces, the last of which was in Western China. It was the autonomous province of Chen Xiang (sic) and its capitol city, Urumqi.

Have you been there, and if so what did you think?

He said that out there, they ate lots and lots of hot peppers at every meal.

porcupine

Answers to previous questions:
The food in Sichuan Province is very spicy! They like it hot and it took me about 6 months to get used to it.
Trees in China? They cut them down, there are not many forests there and they import wood so I don't believe there are many sawmill there. We are blessed to have a resource (trees) and are wise to protect it.

I got back last night from a two day road trip to Indy to pick up the mill. It was a delight for me after 8 months in Chinatown not driving. Sunny weather, XM radio, cruise control and a cup of coffee. 8 hours driving went by faster than I had anticipated.
Next day with a 8 am show time and "Bear" was ready to get me started. Bill Laham from sales was waiting with coffee in hand.
After the set up and maintenance brief the diesel was started. I thought, "it sounds powerful", it was. The 47hp went through the log without any hesitation or hiccup. I had not seen a band mill work other than internet videos and they did not adequately demonstrate what this mill could do. I was somewhat excited on the drive down but after I heard, seen and smelled this machine in action I was pumped up. It is also much more stout than the photos in the sales literature depicted. Yes I'm satisfied. For now :D

Ice storm two days prior to my arrival

The final Touches on the Mill

Bear Mugging for the camera

The Team
All Loaded up and ready to roll

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

sealark37

You will love the diesel engine.  Powerful, efficient, and trouble-free.  Remember the air filter and fuel filter are very important to the health of the unit.  I have been retired from flying for almost a year.  Many of my airline friends are working or have worked in China as line pilots and sim instructors.  They all love it at first, but the commute and the cultural friction with airline management take a toll.  I think that the longer you work there, the louder the new mill will call to you.  Meanwhile, enjoy it all.  Remember that one of your co-workers is assigned to watch you and report.  Welcome to the forum.  Regards, Clark

porcupine

1st snag .... I set up the mill following the checklist provided by Wood-Mizer. No problems
Flipped the Auto Clutch, it worked, the engine moved into the position engaging the blade but the engine did not accelerate above it's idle speed.
It's saturday of course and tech support is closed at noon. I'm checking the books, haven't found the solution yet.
Is it me or ?
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

Warren

Sawmills are kinda like aircraft and naval vessels, sometimes they need a "shake down" run to sort out the details.  ;D

You spent 8 hrs on the road trailering it home.   The first thing I would check is to see if the throttle cable/linkage maybe came loose at one end or the other.  Not sure where it is located on an LT50.  Flip key switch to "3" position (power on, not running).  Engage, disengage the auto clutch a couple times.  Watch the throttle linkage on the engine.  If the linkage is still firmly attached on the engine side, but not moving, you might want to pull a couple covers and see if it came un-done on the lower end.

Or, if you are not feeling so adventuresome with a brand new mill,   ::)  you can wait until  8am Monday to call the WM folks.   I have never had a problem yet that they could not walk me thru the diagnostics over the phone...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

porcupine

Quote from: porcupine on February 05, 2011, 03:13:06 PM
1st snag .... I set up the mill following the checklist provided by Wood-Mizer. No problems
Flipped the Auto Clutch, it worked, the engine moved into the position engaging the blade but the engine did not accelerate above it's idle speed.
It's saturday of course and tech support is closed at noon. I'm checking the books, haven't found the solution yet.
Is it me or ?
Thanks for the reply - I removed 2 covers, one that covers the up/down motor and blade brake. The other cover for the auto clutch motor.
ACC switch on and then engage the auto clutch switch. Works fine, brake releases and engine moves up to tighten the drive belt. I checked the electrical connects for the throttle engage/disengage switches they appear to be good. Started the diesel up and once again flipped the auto clutch switch ... still stays at idle.
There is no throttle cable. There is a solenoid that actuates the throttle and that does not move.
The mill worked fine during the demo at the factory, something must have loosened up on the drive home.
I'm sure an 8am phone call tomorrow (monday) to WM will take care of the glitch. Just wanted to cut over the weekend though.  :'(
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

Magic Smoke

Porcupine,
The throttle circuit has a magnetic switch to sense when the clutch is engaged (I think it's on the up/dn gearbox) that may not be adjusted close enough to sense the clutch linkage properly. When the clutch is engaged 12VDC is transferred through the switch to energize a green relay on the side of the engine (alternator side), this relay, when energized, supplies voltage to the throttle solenoid. There is also a 15A breaker near the little green relay that, if tripped, would indicate that the throttle linkage is not adjusted properly to allow the throttle solenoid to fully engage.
- Make sure 15A breaker isn't tripped
- Make sure magnetic switch is adjusted properly. To check the operation of the switch, disconnect the wires and attach an Ohm meter, it should show continuity when you place a screwdriver (metal object) in front of the target area on the front of the switch.
- There is more than 1 green relay, swap two and see if problem moves to different circuit.
- Check voltage at throttle solenoid while clutch is engaged, if voltage present across two terminals then throttle solenoid is bad (there is two coils in the throttle solenoid, a "pull" coil and a "hold" coil. If you can manually actuate the throttle linkage and the solenoid stays engaged it would indicate that the "pull" coil is bad).

Hope this helps.  

porcupine

You have given me some good ammo ... I gave it a try. Ran out of time due to the Super Bowl.

I checked the engagement sensor as you described - unhooked the two wires, ohm meter read for a brief moment 179 then again 159. I'm not sure what the correct amount is but I'm thinking it's working.

The relays were on the Engine behind the alternator, not green but black. Switched them out. There are beige plastic strips on them, I'm not sure but I think they may be reset buttons. They were flush with the relay body so I assume they did not "pop".

I could not locate a 15A fuse. I checked the wiring diagram from the manual but was unable to find that breaker.

In that same area was a threaded post where 6 or so wires were fastened on it but the nut was only held on by 2 threads. The wires were loose because of it. I secured the nut.

Next I checked the voltage on the throttle solenoid, it was 0 volts on both engaged and disengaged.
I pushed on it's shaft and released it. I came back out in it's own.

I fired up the engine and tried the auto clutch with the same results. Idle only.

I need to locate that 15A fuse/breaker ....

Tomorrow is another day
Go Green Bay!

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

Magic Smoke

The relays and the circuit breaker are under a cover on the alternator side of the engine towards the front, you'll see a wiring harness going up and under the cover.
The ohmmeter reading should be "infinity" (just like the reading you get when you don't have the meter leads hooked to anything) when there is no metal in front of the switch. When metal is placed in front of the sensor, the reading should go near zero.
Another way to check the sensor is to temporarily bypass it by hooking the two wires that go to the sensor together, if the throttle solenoid actuates when this is done, you know the problem is the sensor.

porcupine

Monday 8 am - I called WM and they gave me the intel on problem.
There is a 3rd magnetic proximity sensor located on the head up/down gearbox.
It must have vibrated away from the engine clutch cam linkage. Moved it back and presto, the Yanmar spools up to operating rpms.
I did get intimate with my mill a little early (not my style, I usually wait until 3 or 4th date  :D) but it's all good now.
Let's she what she'll do today. I go back to Chinatown at the end of the month.

I did take several pictures of my adventure but ran out of time trying to get them down sized to upload. My other pix that I posted looked a little small so it will take me some time to get a good handle on this process.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

Magicman

The way that you really got an understanding about the way your throttle works, will be the way you get educated about other aspects of your mill.  There is nothing to it once you understand it.  Congratulations on getting your feet wet, and also for coming back here and sharing your new knowledge.  It will help someone else with a similar problem.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: porcupine on February 07, 2011, 12:43:37 PM
My other pix that I posted looked a little small so it will take me some time to get a good handle on this process.

Simplify the process and use the java uploader. It does the resizing for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yclpxy7gorI
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

porcupine

Ok, Jeff your video clarified a few things so here goes ...

I followed Magic Smoke's advice. Thanks again.

This shot is on the engine, behind the alternator. 2 relays on the top left, I swapped them, they were fine
The 15A breaker is in the middle (4 red wires attached) with the reset on the top (small black button) it was not "popped"

I called WM this morning they said the LT50 autoclutch has a 3rd magnetic sensor behind the up/down gear box.
Its under the 2 small bolts toward the back near the linkage.

I put a screwdriver up to the sensor and with the acc switch on - the throttle solenoid came to life.
Bingo! I'm a sawing fool now! Well, maybe someday with practice.

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

pnyberg

It's awfully shiny and clean in there. 

Thanks for the pictures.