iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tigercats new skidder

Started by OH logger, July 25, 2017, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forester and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ehp

I go to the tigercat plant the week of the 25th to see the new 602 cable ,its to be ready to drive then

JBS 181

In response to Mike. As he was asking about using a swing boom as a log loader. I have a experienced logger whom brings me logs on occasion and that is how he loads his trailer., ie 28' dual goose neck. I fabricated him up some bunks for it some time back. He grabs a hand full of logs and pulls up along side and sets them in the bunks. Never seen him do it but I am sure he gets by with out busting up too much stuff as I have not had to do any repair yet. He is a one man operation.

OH logger

me and a buddy went to ricer equipment (our tigercat dealer) a couple weeks ago and supposedly the first 602 will be at the bunyan show this year. he says he already has two of them sold. he thnks the swing boom will be mainly a Europe machine and the dual arch for America. no single arch made as of yet.do you think these machines will catch on with everything..well most everything getting bigger and log prices NOT getting bigger? i mean that deere already made a smaller sized machine in the 548 size. if the market for these size machines was there it would have been far cheaper for them to modify the 548 to fit the emiisions motor in the motor compartment than for tigercat to start from scratch on this smaller machine. i don't get it. thank God tigercat is WAY smarter than this dumb tree cutter and they prolly got that figured out too.   ;D    I noticed in the video it almost looks like the grapple is not continuous rotation could this be?
john

Riwaka

John Deere does the 'Powertrain Relife Plus' scheme for the 540 Glll,(sn 604614 onwards), 548  Glll, (sn 604614 onwards), 540H, 548H, 640H, 648H, 748H, 848H.
Reman on the engine, trans, main hydraulic pump (optional) and axles.
Reman on the old engines that do not require the emissions equipment?

longtime lurker

So you dont see something for ages and then... there it is. And you got to wander back and find where you'd mentioned the thing in a post "sometime in the last 6 months" :D

So this would be a dozer with a beak fitted. Havent seen one for years. Anyhow as you can see its lift height is limited but if you push up a ramp to get the dozer up to trailer height (or doze a slot to get the trailer down to dozer height) it does give you quite a degree of control to lift them on... and one thing I'll give a dozer is they will lift. Probably not the way I'd be wanting to load lots of small logs - its more suited to logs where you hit your weight quick - but it can be done and when you already own the dozer its a cheap way to handle the odd bigger log.

Never seen one on a PAT blade before. If she was a D53 I'd be going for a look at that one methinks.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

coxy

that's neat       the tracks with the holes in the pads are great all the new tracks don't have the holes punched in them you have to do it your self

mike_belben

Awesome, thanks for uploading.

My dirtwork life started with a garden tractor and snow plow that kept getting modified.  The plow blade got a hydraulic grapple built similar to that dozer clamp and life has never been the same.   

Someday ill get my dozer outfitted as good as that mower.
Praise The Lord

modifier

What is it you don't like about having a front cradle?  I remember reading a large thread somewhere talking about oscillating frame vs front pivot and only a couple of the guys liked the rear moving rather than the front.  But it's possible that since almost all skidders are front pivot most people have never operated one with and oscillating frame.  The guys who did like an oscillating frame said they thought they were better in very rough terrain at keeping all tires on the ground. Others who had been on both said they thought oscillating frame was not as predictable as a front pivoting cradle.  I think another name for front pivot is walking beam suspension, even though that is usually used for describing the use of beams on the rear of trucks with tandem axles. What's your experience?   

Quote from: coxy on July 26, 2017, 06:45:49 AM
I still wish they would build a new skidder with out front wheel pivot I hate that

ga jones

The Franklin's and Cat 518 I've been around have better traction more sure footed.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

mike_belben

And which style pivots do they have?
Praise The Lord

OH logger

john

Puffergas

I have both, TJ and a small tractor (by today's standards). I do not use them every day and they are rather new to me. They both get herrrr done. I like them both but of course the tractor is not in the woods much but maneuvers like a real small tractor.

I like the oscillating frame the best because of maintenance. I am dreading replacing the cradle pins in the TJ. I think the oscillator is a simpler design and works well. The cradle has designed in travel limits. It is easier to design the travel snubbers into it.

OK, I have two oscillators.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

DPrest

Quote from: ehp on September 13, 2017, 06:38:10 AM
I go to the tigercat plant the week of the 25th to see the new 602 cable ,its to be ready to drive then
ehp, just wondering if you ever did end up checking out the 602 cable, and if so what your thoughts were. Anyone else get any closer to seeing one run or getting a quote?
FYI, first post here, long time lingerer...
Trees keep me sane.

nativewolf

Quote from: DPrest on February 23, 2018, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: ehp on September 13, 2017, 06:38:10 AM
ehp, just wondering if you ever did end up checking out the 602 cable, and if so what your thoughts were. Anyone else get any closer to seeing one run or getting a quote?
FYI, first post here, long lingerer...
Likewise, interested in a report on the 602.
Liking Walnut

ehp

Ya I went up and seen the 602, they also had 2 others being built and sounds like lots of interest in this skidder

ehp

think their about $250,000 USA for a new one , compared to the older skidder their a good size but I guess small by todays standard , their a lot bigger than my old 230A and I mean a lot . Im pretty sure for around here I would be running 28 L on it for tires instead of the 23.1. Quite abit of weight on the front axle and Im sure would find you every sink hole in the bush with the smaller tires

teakwood

250k for a "smallish" skidder is still a lot more than most uf us people can pay!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

ya but I priced a 648 L last spring and $316,000 plus 13% tax was the price for it , just way way to big of a machine to log in my area , by-law would not even let you drive that in the bush here

DPrest

Thanks for the feedback, ehp.

Teakwood, I agree, its hard to justify. Here in the Maritime Provinces we just don't have the quality wood to run one steady and make the payments. Without driving your woodlots into the ground, you'd have to be into a prime run of wood.

Interesting considering they're installing crane loaders on these in Europe already. Says a lot of the quality of wood and wood prices that they've got over there compared to ours here (NB, NS, at least).

Tigercat DWC602 preview - YouTube .

Supporting payments on a $400,000 + skidder in selection treatments is no simple task.
Trees keep me sane.

Skeans1

Europe is completely different, they have requirements we don't have in the states. Plus when you don't have to ship like a harvester over or a crane on the slow boat through a distributor it makes a huge difference in price. 250 for the size the machine is isn't bad at all but being a cable machine I don't see one selling the PNW unless someone buys it to anchor with for tethering a CTL setup. This last year I've been around a few guys from Rottne Sweden they've never seen our setups for a swinging grapple till they were out here they said they were amazed at how much heavier it was compared to the crane setups they use, when you're handing the lighter smaller wood they have their it makes sense.

mike_belben

QuoteSupporting payments on a $400,000 + skidder in selection treatments is no simple task.

I suspect that there are a number of timber groups made up of investors who arent trying to generate cash from timber, but tax deductions for wealth already created.  You cant just make your fortune and park it in the bank, you have to continually expand into new expenses if you want to keep last years income.  When the depreciation table is used up on those assets you buy new or buy more or expand into a new market all over.  Not exactly the same, but Its why mobsters buy construction companies, hotels, bars, nightclubs.  To launder illegal income and generate "losses" to keep it.  

Unfortunately, the rich kids playing in the woods skews the cost scale on the poor kids trying to play in the woods too.  

Praise The Lord

coxy

Mike your going to need to get one this year for a rightoff  :D

nativewolf

It would be right to have the writeoff. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

If i wrote off one forestry tire theyd send me an earned income credit.  

Regardless, i will take a rightoff over a leftoff any day.
Praise The Lord

gaproperty

Man what a beautiful looking rig.  i use a kubota tractor, logging winch and a logging trailer but it has it's limitations. I bought a backhoe attachment so i can make better roads.  I want to buy my own woodlot because I am putting to much time into building roads for somebody else. Guess if I had that skidder I wouldn't have to build roads. 
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Thank You Sponsors!