iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting some Walnut!

Started by Planman1954, September 30, 2015, 08:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Hi all. Well, the latest goings on around here involve 3 or 4 ongoing projects. I have enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life!
Anyway, I am beginning the construction of a 16'x16' lumber storage shed which will be completely enclosed, so as to keep the moisture content of the kiln dried lumber that I cut for future projects low. While that is going on, (I am documenting progress for a post later) my brother is currently building himself a southern mansion. He will be using walnut for his staircase and cabinets throughout. Last week, he cut two walnut trees on our property. They were both about two feet in diameter, with few limbs near the base. They were straight and beautiful! I began cutting them on my Norwood lumbermate 2000 yesterday. Here's a picture of the first log cut into a cant. It shows the beauty of the wood grain:

Here's a picture of some of the boards from the first log I cut. They will be used as stair treads. I cut them 1 1/2" thick on my gauge. They will be milled to about 1 1/4": 

Here's a shot of the logs before I started cutting: 

That's all I've got for now. Tomorrow, I hope to get a lot of sawing done!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Enjoying the fruits of your labors.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

yep, looks like a good job!  minimal sap wood on that walnut as it looks to me.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

pineywoods

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  Where did ya find them ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Planman1954

Ronnie had them on his place down in the big creek bottom on the south side of my road. They were near to his deer stand. I'll stop by soon and tell you all about it. I got what I sawed yesterday and today stacked into the kiln. I'm not going to turn it on until I get all of the logs cut in there. So far it's about 260 square feet, but cut 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" thick. I hope to get another 1000 s.f. In there. I'll take a picture when it's ready to start drying.

Delawhere Jack

Beer Walnut is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Benjamin Franklin (well almost).

I can be down there in 36 hours if you need a hand!  ;D

Planman1954

I could have used you this morning man handling the biggest log in the bunch! My mill is manual, and my can't hook barely cut it!! It was tough turning it by myself, and when it flipped off the bed, I almost quit for the day...but I persevered! ;D >:(  It now sits in my kiln...waiting on ME. I won.

YellowHammer

Nice looking whack o walnut.   8)
Is walnut fairly common in La?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Delawhere Jack

Hard to get a good bite in walnut bark with a cant hook. It can be a real nuisance, but it's well worth the effort.

Those are some very nice looking logs by the way.

Planman1954

The boards really are coming out beautiful. With such a long stem, there are hardly any knots in the grain.
YellowHammer: Walnut is sparse in Louisiana. It can be found around old homesteads, and down in creek/bayou bottoms though.

samandothers

The Walnut is great looking!  I like the tractor in the background too!

Planman1954

Finished sawing all the walnut for my brother today, and got it stacked into the kiln. It is drying! It sure is a good feeling knowing that I don't have to touch it anymore! It's all his to load his own self.😀😀😅😅 I'll be checking the moisture content along the way, looking for it to get down to the 6-8% area. He's using it for his cabinetry and stair treads.

Planman1954

Just wanted to update those interested on the walnut boards. I let them dry in the solar kiln for about a month. I turned the kiln off twice while I was away for a few days at a time. The final check on my meter showed a fairly common reading of 8%. Anyway, my brother loaded them up in two loads and took them to his cabinet guy. I got a text from him saying how they had planed one of the boards and it was beautiful! He said they then made a little bit of sawdust, and the fellow squeezed it in his hand and said that that was some DRY boards! That was good to hear. Mission accomplished!

Magicman

QuoteI let them dry in the solar kiln for about a month. I turned the kiln off twice while I was away for a few days at a time.
Now I am sitting here imagining you turning the Sun off a couple of times.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2015, 08:39:28 PM
QuoteI let them dry in the solar kiln for about a month. I turned the kiln off twice while I was away for a few days at a time.
Now I am sitting here imagining you turning the Sun off a couple of times.   ;D   :D

I was wondering who caused this rain and cloudy days last week or so. Now we know.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Go to love it when a plan comes together.  Great job in the walnut!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Planman1954

Very funny Magic! Thanks for all the feedback everybody. It was a labor of love. I've said MANY times that my late Daddy would have LOVED having this sawmill. He was a builder all his life. His early years, he worked in a sawmill here in the area. He loved to build. Having an unlimited supply of trees and a mill would have doubled his building projects I'm sure. It's been almost 14 years since he left earth for heaven, and I still instinctively know what he would tell me to do when I encounter a problem. All that following him around building houses did sink in, I guess!

dboyt

Thanks for the update.  That sawmill & tractor look like home to me.  Great that all that walnut got properly cut, stacked, and dried.  My dad is 90.  He used to help, but now comes out and mostly watches me cut.  Like you say, it is good when you can put life's lessons to use.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!