iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood mizer solenoid

Started by bigal, December 05, 2015, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigal

hey everyone , so got my wood mizer back for the shop all fixed up last week and got a got day to work with it all was going good until the hydraulic solenoid stop working ,so i check it and it was not letting the 12votls trough so i had a new one shipped and worked for about an 1 hour and now its doing the same thing does anyone have a idea of what could be the cause thanks

Magicman

It's almost impossible to trouble shoot without being there.  The power strip needs to be clean and the "contact button" has to have good spring contact.  It's possible that the microswitch could be erratic at times.  Mine was before I replaced it.  Also, I got a bad replacement solenoid that was replaced by WM under warranty.  Of course all is assuming that your hydraulic motor is OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bigal.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Does the solenoid click when you move a hydraulic lever?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

Most solenoids are made the same inside.
Maybe this drawing will help you trouble shoot..

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigal

Yes the soneloid does click when I try to activate it

Kbeitz

If you put a 12 volt light in series with the wire it should NOT light when trying to start.
If it does the current is not going through your wires. Good way to test for shorts.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Solenoids can click and not make contact.  I replaced the continuous duty start/generator solenoid on our golf car yesterday.  It was only about a month old and probably had not operated over a dozen times.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just replaced my Solenoid along with my micro switch.
Mine was dead....no clicking or nothing.
I replaced it and now all is fine.

You may have a dirty ground.

I tested my grounds by taking a screw driver and crossing the 2 big bolts on the Solenoid and then turning the key on. My HD motor was running strong. So I know I was getting plenty of volts to it.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Dirt or millings from when it was made can jam up the electric magnet inside the Solenoid.
The copper bar can also burn off...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

check the grounds,  no other issue other than this, unless it's bad new ones, not that likely,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!