iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birds with Mom

Started by doctorb, November 21, 2010, 08:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Corny, I know, but I just got back from a weekend with my 91 year old mother watching birds at Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge.  She and I have loved this for decades.  I got her into it as I was growing up, just from my love of nature.  Combine that with the ease and beauty of a place like Chincoteague and ....boom....instant ornithology fireworks.  It's cool that she still gets excited about species she only sees there, much less any new ones to add to her list.  Enjoyed it so much, just had to tell ya'.  Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

fishpharmer

Now I know you didn't go there with out a camera. Any pics? That's a place I thought I would enjoy visiting since reading about it as a kid in National Geographic.  Isn't that the place with the ponies?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

I know everyone has their special places and things to see. As far as birds go, I like the whiskie jacks up here. We actually call them "gorbies". They are the gray jay, or Canada Jay as they are mostly in Canada. You see them in the woods mostly as they would fall prey easily to cats. They will come eat from your hand when they get used to ya. The blue jays will watch them and steal their stash. These birds also seem to take a liking to hide 'shrooms on the bows of fir trees.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Now doc, it's time for me to offer you some advice from someone who can't do things with mom any more. Anything you can do with mom, do it while you can. When she's gone, you will be glad you did. don't matter what the rest of the world thinks.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Norm

You're a good man Doc. :)

Bird watching is one of my favorite pastimes, we have many different species move through on their fall and spring migration. I'd sure enjoy seeing what kinds you folks have in your area.

doctorb

I am sorry to say that the photography bug has not bitten me, but there are lots of wildlife photographers at Chincoteague, and there's tons of species to see.  

This year was a little different from the past.  The wading shorebirds (sandpipers, etc) were all but gone.  But the ducks were really there.  Here's a list of what ducks we saw:
Bufflehead, Ruddy, Lesser Scaup, Pintail, Black, Gadwall, Green and Blue Winged Teal, Pied-Billed Grebe, Mallard, Shoveler, Widgeon, Canada and Snow Geese, Brandt, Wood Duck.  Not too bad when you realize that your birding from a car!  Even saw a white ibis this trip!  That's a new one for us.  Obviously, this list doesn't include the landbirds that are there - plus the bald eagles.

Piney- you are right about time with mom.  My mom's heart is pretty bad now, and she has no reserve for walking distances.  However, the way Chincoteague is set up, there is a "wildlife loop" that you can drive through in the afternoon, which is basically a one lane road through these freshwater ponds filled with birds.  Many people walk or bike this 3 mile loop; some ardent birders, some families on a nice flat bike ride.  Cool.

Yes, Chincoteague is the home of the wild ponies and Misty, the fictional pony from the famous children's book.  They add uniqueness to the place, but, in fact, don't naturally belong there.  They can be destructive to the habitat.  Many tourists come just to see them.  The volenteer fire company is one of the richest on the east coast because of the pony roundup and auction, which takes place the last Saturday in July.  It's not my cup of tea - hot and crowded.  I prefer the solitude of the marshes and the ever changing bird speices that frequent the Refuge.    Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!