iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

These birds are everywhere around here.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 27, 2012, 06:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Killdeer or some call them a Sand Lapper in S.C.

The babies just hatched and will run right up to you. My son brought one in from the field to get his pic made and then returned the bird back to it's momma.

This pic is from the Internet

Paul named him or her "FUZZY".

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

They're really a friendly bird, lots of them around here too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

The little hatchlings are comical to watch . They are so tiny they can hid in new mown grass .If you look down at them you see two little eyes looking up at you .Mean while momma bird is doing the broken wing act .

red oaks lumber

they look like a marshmellow with 2 toothpicks stuck on the bottom :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 27, 2012, 10:13:05 PM
they look like a marshmellow with 2 toothpicks stuck on the bottom :D

:D :D :D They run around like they're on stilts. :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnW

We don't have quite so many around here.  I'd say they're kind of rare.  I've never had any come running up to me before.  I've heard them called sandpipers, but maybe that's a mistake.  That could be a different bird, and we just don't know any better.

Clam77

There's a few around here in Iowa.. not many.  The cold winters USUALLY keep out of the state.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

ArborJake

They're are called  killdeere but I might be spelling it wrong. They lay eggs on bare ground. They look like little stones. And they are famous for doing that broken wing act to lure you away from the nest and babies. We have lots of em here in NY and one pair nest by our wood chip piles each year.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

thecfarm

I had a nest of them last year in out blueberry field. there was a bit of bare ground for her to nest on,all that she needed. She pulled the broken wing trick on me. I knew the nest was close. took me a few days to find it. I marked it with a fiberglass fence post so we would not mow over it. I never did see the babies hatch. My dog,or fox,coon,ect could of found it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

We have robins leaving the nest now.  Just this morning I pulled one from my dogs mouth.  Momma bird was fussing at us from a nearby tree. I went looking for it later, but he must have hopped to the neighbor's yard.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sandhills

We get them by the hundreds (if not thousands) on about every place we farm, they're comical to watch from the tractor and the little babies will run right up to you when you try to move them out of the way.

SwampDonkey

We have them here to, but their numbers are way down. They tend to nest on plowed or worked fields. So, many nest get destroyed and the sprays probably don't help. I know foxes get a lot, and foxes are rather thick around here. We always used to farm around them. Some fields could have 5 or 6 nests. A most welcomed call in the spring time. As kids we used to catch them to. Sometimes you could catch a young adult to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!