iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How are your birds ?

Started by sprucebunny, August 11, 2015, 08:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

A couple days ago I noticed there were no bird sounds. None. I mentioned this to a friend in mid-coast Maine and he said he'd seen some ducks flying south (not conclusive evidence )

Sooo... how are your song and migratory birds ??? Is it unusual for them to be gone from here so early ?

This summer I saw a bird species alive that I knew were around. A scarlet Tananger. Very pretty.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

petefrom bearswamp

I have the usual species at my feeder.
I have noticed however that I have fewer Rose breasted grosbeaks than I used to.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Bluebirds just started another nest with eggs. The last one they started the first of July and the young flew a week ago.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

The rose-breasted Grosbeaks were over here this summer  :) The female managed to get food out of the 'Roller-feeder' even though she is large for it. I kept putting seeds in it for her. And on the porch rail, too.

It's the complete silence here the last few days.... it is usually wild and crazy with bird noises... that really has me wondering.

coxy

now that you say something its been  quiet here also     and what are you wondering about  this :snowball: :)

Peter Drouin

We have a bunch of birds here. But we do feed them too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sprucebunny

Well, since the squirrels have disappeared... I'll fill the birdfeeder and see if there is any action.

It has been a fairly cool summer, maybe they headed south early but I don't remember there ever being complete quiet. Usually some chickadees and Juncos around.

thecfarm

Birds are still here. In fact just a few mornings ago I was thinking to myself how I enjoy hearing the birds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sprucebunny on August 11, 2015, 07:11:39 PM
Well, since the squirrels have disappeared... I'll fill the birdfeeder and see if there is any action.

It has been a fairly cool summer, maybe they headed south early but I don't remember there ever being complete quiet. Usually some chickadees and Juncos around.

We do have some fat squirrels and chipmunks  :D :D :D :D
And the Deer are doing well too

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,looks like that bear is on the plump side too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

I heard a few twitters on this drizzely morning so there are a few birds out there. Maybe the rest went on vacation  :laugh:
Or got eaten by a hawk...

I've had 2 spikehorns lurking in the woods this summer. They come out next to the dirt road and eat grass. Hadn't seen deer here for ten years, had a few moose, though.

Chuck White

It's been a little quiet here too, but they're still coming to the window feeder!

I have notice, however that the Chickadee's and the Nut Hatch's are moulting now!

They always look a little sickly when they go through a moult!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Everyday, for several now, the cardinals have been whistling up a storm. Almost becomes too much, but still enjoy their tunes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Yesterday I noticed that there were no Swallows buzzing around, apparently they have left for warmer climates!

It's kind of funny, but we never seem to know just what day they leave, just that they're not here anymore.   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

They already ate up all your mosquitoes Chuck, I wish they'd finish ours on their way south  ;D.  Our mourning doves seemed to have taken off a bit early too, usually it takes the first frost but I can't say I've seen any for awhile now.

ScottInCabot

Before my dad, 73yrs young, received his hearing aides....he thought all the crickets had died.  Not hearing birdsong, doesn't mean they aren't there  :D

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

sandhills

OK I'll admit I'm deaf as a post and blind as a bat  :D, one thing I can here are the crickets though, our new place is over run with them.  Sticky strips are my friend  ;).

Magicman

Will there be any "new place" pictures?  Maybe??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: sandhills on September 11, 2015, 08:36:28 AM
They already ate up all your mosquitoes Chuck, I wish they'd finish ours on their way south  ;D.  Our mourning doves seemed to have taken off a bit early too, usually it takes the first frost but I can't say I've seen any for awhile now.

That's one thing I have noticed here, Pat!

When I go out to do a little yard work, I get overrun with mosquitoes, whereas when the Swallows WERE here, we'd hardly see mosquitoes anywhere in the yard!

Birdhouses can be your friends and they don't have to be fancy either!

sandhills

Yep Magic, the Mrs. took some "before" pictures and Sunday is moving day so she told me to get the pictures on the computer because her camera's full so that day will have some "after" pictures.  We're far from being done but have really worked hard at this and I can't wait for Sunday to be over with  ;).
Chuck, we do have 2 bird houses and a feeder in the back yard there, it's been a lot of fun watching them, but I know only the basic breeds around here so can't tell you what all comes in.

Chuck White

Been watching the bird feeder quite a bit lately and noticed we only have a couple of Whitebreasted Nuthatches and a few sparrows that visit.

No Chickadee's, Grossbeaks, Purple finches, or Gold Finches.  :-\

Birds are acting a lot different this year, hope this isn't a sign of a really bad Winter, but if so, we'll just have to deal with it.  ;)

sprucebunny

I filled my feeder a couple of weeks ago and have the usual chickadees, nuthatches and a few goldfinches. Lots of other seed sources this time of year. The feeder only allows small birds.

There was an article in a magazine about the decline of Flycatchers in New England which I had noticed a few years ago. This because of a decline in bugs like mosquitos which I've also noticed. They don't have a reason for the bug decline and from other people's comments around the Forum, I guess it's not the whole Northeast that is seeing fewer pesky bugs.

Wonder if the mosquito/bug decline is affecting bats, too ???

Thank You Sponsors!