iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The filthy migrant Blackbirds that we have spend the night in the towns and then disperse during the day into harvested fields to feed during the daytime only to return to their roost at night.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

European Starlings.

We have them here in NZ too, but they are generally liked by farmers for the number of bugs and caterpillars they eat. I have seen large flocks roosting like that before. The "city" ones around New Plymouth seem to fly out to a small offshore island to roost at night. (no predators?) The ones around our place only seem to hang out in smaller groups and spend their time poking around on the lawns. Not big enough numbers to be a nuisance, and there is a pair that nests every year in the eaves of my workshop.

Bonus word of the day. A flock of starlings is called a murmuration.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

21incher

Up here there is a crow problem in Auburn. They used to have an annual crow shoot until environmentalists stepped in. They get thousands of huge crows in town.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on November 09, 2017, 07:07:12 PM
Up here there is a crow problem in Auburn. They used to have an annual crow shoot until environmentalists stepped in. They get thousands of huge crows in town.

Better than an annual Goat Shoot.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I hate the European Starlings!   >:(

One year (a while back), when they first arrived here, I shot a 5-gallon pail of them right from my window!  ;D

They, over time have pretty-much stopped landing in my yard!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

We get 500 crows like that that roost on the hill at night, they will even sometimes crow in the night, then they fly up the river valley for the day, and back down here again for the night. They left this fall Nov 5, so they must be headed south. We have lots of crows however that don't migrate, here year around but more like a dozen or so locally.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Ianab on November 09, 2017, 05:57:44 PM
European Starlings.

We have them here in NZ too, but they are generally liked by farmers for the number of bugs and caterpillars they eat. I have seen large flocks roosting like that before. The "city" ones around New Plymouth seem to fly out to a small offshore island to roost at night. (no predators?) The ones around our place only seem to hang out in smaller groups and spend their time poking around on the lawns. Not big enough numbers to be a nuisance, and there is a pair that nests every year in the eaves of my workshop.

Bonus word of the day. A flock of starlings is called a murmuration.

They could also be red-winged blackbirds.  Very common to see large groups migrating this time of year. 

A mumuration of starlings?  How about a "murder of crows"?  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WDH

Murmuration.  I like it.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I have seen the grackle flock up in the fall and they seem to be in the hardwoods (maples) that time of year, but they nest here in softwoods in summer. I have also seen a few rusty black birds flock up around the beaver pond. Not large numbers of them because they seem to be in declining numbers.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

You got the 1000 right, wow!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RjMaan

We have a sparrow and we use to listen them on daily bases. We use to keep millet and feed them on daily bases. It feels really good to see them.

Chuck White

First time this year, I saw two Eastern Bluebirds in the yard, fighting over the birdhouses early this morning!

Won't be long now and the yard will be busy with all the different birds!

The most active are the Tree Swallows, but they aren't here just yet!

UPDATE:  10:40AM Just looked out around the yard and I saw one male Tree Swallow fighting with the Bluebirds over the birdhouses!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I saw 4 blue birds this morning at once, but this guy was alone this afternoon. First time I saw them this year and first time I have seen them here in Royalton. I know neighbours have bird boxes up the road, but never asked if they ever have any.

The tree swallows have been here a week or so and have not gone to the boxes much. I saw 6 this afternoon flying around the church and around the fields.

ToddsPoint

The farm next to me was leased for hunting a few years ago.  They released hundreds of quail and put feeders up for them.  The game warden got wind of it and issued them a citation for feeding game birds and shut them down.  The hunters left, and they left the feeders.  I brought one home, modified it somewhat and loaded it with cracked corn.  It's in my yard and the quail found it and put on a show for me every day.  They are really comical.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

SwampDonkey

The bluebird found himself a mate, she has been nest building all day. :)

SwampDonkey

Busy nest building.  :)

WDH

Love is in the air.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Taking a break in the refuge of a white birch a few feet away from the nest box. :)

Bluebird sitting in a white birch. - YouTube

Chuck White

He must be tired, they usually don't sit still that long!

Nice video!

SwampDonkey

I've observed them quite bit this spring. They will perch quite a while if not disturbed. I've seen them hang out in my yellow birch plantation at the far end of the house lot, they like the edge trees. They'll perch and 'talk' to one another quite a bit. They also like to sit on my fence posts a lot that I use in the raspberry rows. Most any tree in the yard they are quite content to sit a spell. Their little eyes can sure spot a bug from quite a distant. I'll see one take a dive and back onto his perch with a bug. :)

Ianab

Winter is when we get more birds here in town.  They aren't  really migrating  but they come down from the forest around the Mt and move onto the town gardens where there is more foos and less snow. Starting to see the Tui staking our their favourite trees already. Seeing 20 of the them squabbling over a flowering cherry in the spring is interesting 😁 Will break out the zoom lens and geg some pics soon.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Cool picture of my Sister Lynda's Cherry tree.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Wow! Piliated woodpeckers are one of my favorite birds. Never saw 3 on a tree like that. Very rare photo IMHO and a very good catch. We have lots of them here and they must be nesting close to the house as we hear them calling every day, especially just before dark. We call them Wood hens here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Uh Oh, they are on the woodpecker march. :D ;D

thecfarm

WOW!! Nice picture. Last time I tried that I got dizzy from circling the tree to get a picture of it. ;D
Baltimore Orioles are back,been here a couple weeks. Tried a different type of feeder. We tried the liquid one years ago,that wa a waste of money. We use to just put out oranges,sliced in half. This year I have a hanger with a small glass cup for jelly and a place to put a sliced orange. They ignore the orange and go for the grape jelly. Most time we only see for a couple weeks,male and females are there quite often. Seen 3 at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!