Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmFritz

Beautiful shots, Bruce. Nice of him to hold the poses for you. lol
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

I took a short video of one sitting on top of a red spruce. I tooted the horn to make him fly at the end. It was near a small river (Taxis).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

I came across this pair a couple years ago snowmobiling on Mackinac Island.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Migal

We have a family that lives here at the Lake but yet to catch them posing like that!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

beenthere

Sitting in our great room playing cards on Sunday, when a loud thud and flying feathers turned everyone's head. Looked and a Pileated woodpecker lay in the flower bed. He didn't set there long before fluttering to this maple tree a short distance away. Stayed there for a good 30 minutes, prolly shaking the head to get some smarts back. Left a big dust print on the glass. Appeared to be a young one, as not yet full size.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Just getting its wings and survived the first crash. :D
~Ron

clww

There was a picture in our Highland County paper, "The Recorder", last week of a Bald Eagle eating a groundhog it had caught out in a field.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

That woodpecker sure looks a little worse for wear  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terry f

Pileateds have to be the loudest fliers in the woods. You can hear them comeing, but after they land the real noise starts.

Magicman

They occasionally whack the glass beside me here in the sun room.  I do not know which of us is more surprised, and as yours did, sometimes they will sit and shake their heads for a while.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

I looked out the bedroom window a couple mornings ago and there was a Red Headed Woodpecker on the side of a tree. They are beautiful birds, too. One of those times that I wished I had a camera. My son wood have pulled out his cell phone. I tell you I've seen him do everything with that phone except talk on it!  :D

chain

Warblers really moving through in southern migration right now, hummingbirds are gathering, several others including a Barn owl I had flushed out of a grain bin today.

I did some habitat management last spring, burning and deadening and some clearing of the swamp-type plants and trees. My BIL visited last month, he is what I consider a pro-birder, even he was impressed with numbers of various species.

Mooseherder

Last week while mowing an Egret flew in and stalked me closely until a frog jumped out of the path of the mower.
It was a good size frog and he worked hard getting it down the hatch.
Today while mowing, I was almost done and he showed up again so I came in to get the camera.
He got a smaller frog and there was one sacrificed in the making of this video.
I did have a hard time getting the video out of my pocket and zoomed in but got most of it.
Before you feel bad for the frog you should know we have plenty more.
One morning when I opened the front door to leave for work in the dark a dozen or so baby frogs jumped in my house making me scramble to catch them.  I know I didn't get them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvjhCYHyug&feature=plcp

Autocar

Its been a number of years ago but I was walking down to the the shop and on the side of the drive a snake had a frog about swallowed so I took a Y stick and held the snake then pulled the frog back out and turned him lose. He looked back and for a minuite I thought he was going to give me one wish  ;D.
Bill

Mooseherder

My wife caught this Hawk on my daughter's camera.
That is why it is better than my pictures. ;D
He has been hanging out here for over a month. 
I hope he is eating snakes and frogs and leaves my lil' dog alone.

SwampDonkey

I don't know about little dogs for a meal, but my uncle had a white cat. As white as a hare in the winter. It's hair was even real fine like a hare. Anyway, my uncle had noticed a big old owl around the barn in the early mornings before daylight when he was after the cows for milking. One morning the owl got himself a white cat for breakfast. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

a hawk got my cousins mini yorkie that was a sensitive subject for awhile. I found a hawk the other day sitting in the middle of the road. Nothing i could do popped over the hill and he had its back torwards me. I hit the brakes but to late. But  no damage to the car. But the week prior i was in the truck same road and a deer ran out it did 3 grand worth of damage to my truck. But the mini cooper that was in the other lane comeing torwards me wasnt so lucky. I hit the deer knocked it in her lane. It totaled out her car. 1 deer hit 2 vehicles in 2 seconds that done happen very often.

Jeff

I was able to get this brief shaky video of two young eagles. One took off just as I took the camera off them and flewaround a wood edge and landed with a third. I'd been watching the adults over the summer fishing along lake Huron and noted the young birds a month or so ago. This is the first time I had a chance to film them (such as it is), and I didn't see mamma and pappa anywhere this time. I love da U.P. :)

http://youtu.be/vYbrct-fDVY

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Thanks for the video.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Another video I ran across, and this is about the amazing Bird of Paradise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTR21os8gTA&feature=player_embedded#!
south central Wisconsin

clww

Wouldn't it be cool to have a flock of them (several different varieties) in your yard each spring? :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sonofman

Pileateds have to be the loudest fliers in the woods. You can hear them comeing, but after they land the real noise starts.

It gets real noisy here when one mistakes the aluminum downspout on my gutters for a tree. The gutters are brown but I still think that is a pretty stupid bird.

We do not have eagles around here, but I have been to Hanes Alaska. We have a friend there that is the talker on the tour bus when one comes through, she knows all the places where they are. She took us around, so I have lots of pics.

Located due west of Due West.

SwampDonkey

The eagles seem to stay around near here most all year. A year ago, a moose was shot out of season just up the road and the carcass was left. The eagles came and ate on it, two actually. An adult and a juvenile is what I noticed. The woods was also full of ravens, but they did not come near the carcass as long as the eagles were on it.

This fall on my woodlot I saw a carcass of some critter that the bears had hauled into a hardwood thicket to feed on. It was just bones left in a  pile.

red

saw my first robin today
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

Been seeing a few ducks around. My guess is teal, they aren't big ducks.

Thank You Sponsors!