iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonofman

red, I started to post something else, then I saw where you are. We have robins here all year, as well as bluebirds, mockingbirds, and canada geese. About the only ones that leave that I wish they did not are the purple martins.
Located due west of Due West.

WmFritz

Saw my first Robin today too and it was snowin. I thought the little guys probably thinking he may have jumped the gun a bit. :snowball:
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Robins don't often hang around in northern New Brunswick, but in the south of the province they stick around all winter. I've been to my aunt's in winter at Sussex and they were in the back yard milling around. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

Spring may be headed our way. We have a wreath on the front porch at the house in VB. It used to be on the door until birds started nesting in it several years ago. I took it off the door and attached it to a 2X4 with a piece of plywood for the back, and leaned it up in the corner. My wife told me that three days ago, there were a pair of doves fixing up the nest. This morning, she's laid her first egg. Last year, the doves produced four little ones.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sonofman

Last year, when we went from winter to summer in about 1 week in March, my purple martins arrived the end of Feb. They have not gotten here yet this year, so does that mean we still have some more winter. I did see the scouts checking out the gourds about two weekends ago.
Located due west of Due West.

SwampDonkey

In 1996 when they arrived in May as usual, the weather turned cold with snow and wiped out the barn swallows. They have never been back in great numbers like they were decades before. We used to have hundreds. They would gather on the power lines and perch when they arrived in May and when they got ready to leave in August.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

We often see Robins here in the winter. Lots of people around us have bird feeders, so they stay. I've always considered the Red Wing Blackbird as the real harbinger of Spring here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terry f

Went up to see how things survived the winter, too early for the deer and elk to come back, but saw a few turkeys and two pileated woodpeckers. Seems early, but I'm not sure how far they move, or even if they do. I don't know if it was a pair, or if the male and female look different.

SwampDonkey

I did spook a grouse the other day on my trek to the woodlot. I also found a spot where one had spent an evening in a snow nest. Saw a couple moose and also where they spent the night bedded down. They spent the winter on the woodlot, moose piles all over.

chain

Timberdoodles! Not one but two woodcock observed so far this spring in our woods. It's been a long time, maybe twenty years or so since the last woodcock was witnessed.

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen any yet. But last spring I was on a plantation, that was actually hardwood ground. I saw several nests of woodcock with eggs. This was on a 30 acre plot. I tied a ribbon by several nests. No robins up here yet either, but those birds don't normally arrive until this month.

OneWithWood

For the first time in over 30 years I have observed red-headed woodpeckers in my woods.  They seem to be very territorial.  I hope they can live with the pileated woodpeckers.  As much as I am enjoying seeing the red-heads again I do not want to lose any of the many pileateds.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

RynSmith

My guess would be that they may coexist just fine, given the size difference .  Time will tell... :)

SwampDonkey

They may have their unique way to make a living that doesn't make them compete so much. There are quite a few species of woodpeckers up here, some prefer softwood, some mixedwood, some aspen and hardwood. Some pick at the tree buts, some are way up high, some might not have a preference.

terry f

After a little reading, looks like they don't migrate, are territorial with just a pair, look similar, the males have a red face patch. Always fun to see.

doctorb

My impression, having observed them over the years, is that they move around a lot.  You see them for a bit, and then they disappear for sometimes a great while.  One of my favorite birds because I think they are very distinctive and I see them so infrequently.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

terry f

Hard to believe they don't move out in the winter, but thats what the book says. I see the pileateds near the ground alot, might have to leave a few good size white fir logs laying around the forest floor for them.

SwampDonkey

They are here all winter Terry, I see them fairly often. The only pole buzzards that migrate here are the flickers and sap suckers, possibly others that we don't normally observe around houses like the 3 toed. Pileated eat lots of carpenter ants, so if they get at a colony of them, lots of eat'n and they can't run away when froze up. Old larger diameter balsam fir trees are ant hotels. ;D

pineywoods

Hummers are back !! Filled up the feeder again yesterday. They must have had a rough trip, they went through a pint of sugar water the first day.. I have a feeder hanging by the window so the wife can sit and watch them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

First robin today, and the ground and water is froze solid. Only in the 20's.

Mooseherder

I got some footage of Sandhill Cranes with their 2 babies on Sunday.
Pappa let me know I was too close after a while and came after me.
I cut out the portion where he made me retreat like a little girl. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OhkW8Gx7Og

doctorb

What do you name a sandhill crane male baby?

Derrick.     Sorry :)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

We deserved an apology for that one. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

No apology needed.  I chuckled.   :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mooseherder

I pulled the game cam down from the palm tree it has been hanging on for a few weeks and really couldn't believe it took another 350 pictures with low batteries.  Sure was happy about that because it got some good footage. :)  I had changed the direction of view from my pond to my neighbors pond after they decided to bait and catch their 2 Gators.  For sure I thought they would just come back in my direction.   I did manage to get some shots of their hired guns catching a couple lil gators and some other comical stuff.  My neighbor is infatuated with his lawn and yard.
He also like pacing everyday while on the phone in his yard along with a regiment of other yard duties.  I feel like posting the pictures just so I could put some captions to go along with them.  Is this wrong? :D

These Sandhill Cranes have been hanging around everyday and they walk by the camera thankfully onto Wayne's yard. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!