iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Landed Forester Job - What Advancement Opportunities are Ahead of Me?

Started by BeOutdoors79, August 30, 2018, 03:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeOutdoors79

I was offered a forester job today! I'm so excited for the opportunity as this is what I've been striving for. It's a career change for me (was in business/marketing world), and now I need to consider what the future holds for a forester. 

If anyone can offer their insight on the following, I'd be very grateful.

- What future opportunities exist for someone who becomes a forester?
- How can I advance quickly (other than a positive personality and hard work)?
- What does the future pay scale look like?
- Any other tips and positive suggestions are very appreciated

Texas Ranger

A lot depends on where you are located and who you are working for, industry, private, state or feds.  Oh, and welcome aboard, pull up a stump and set a while, folks be showing up shortly.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

BradMarks

Is it a forester position (4 yr degree in forestry) or a forestry tech job (with or without schooling)?

lxskllr

I can't provide data, but congratulations on getting started with your new career! Hope it gives you everything you're looking for  :^)

BeOutdoors79

Quote from: BradMarks on August 30, 2018, 04:26:27 PM
Is it a forester position (4 yr degree in forestry) or a forestry tech job (with or without schooling)?
It's for a major tree care and utility service company (Davey). It's entry level, but I'm hoping to gain some relatively quick experience and advance quickly. I'm willing to gain any certificates or other helpful items to progress. Trying to figure out exactly what that may be. So far I have found the RPF, but I see that takes a few years experiences to be able to take the test. 

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like a utility forester type of job.  That's quite a bit different than growing trees on larger woodlots or managing timber harvests.

Utility foresters generally go out and have a lot of contact with landowners in advance of tree trimming around utility lines.  They also manage a few trimming crews.  Moving up in Davey would be the same as any other company structure.  You put in your time, do exemplary work, and wait for positions to open up.  They may not be in your area.  I worked for Osmose in my early years doing utility pole inspections, and those jobs caused you to move around every 3-6 months.  The mgmt jobs allowed you to stay in an area year round, but that took years of experience before that happened.  Don't know how it is now, but I expect the same in that type of a service business.  Much like today's gig economy.

I've done some utility work where I did vegetation estimates under large distribution lines and had to work with utility foresters for power companies.  They worked with outfits like Davey and directed the tree trimming.  Power companies sub out most of their work instead of having to maintain their own crews.  Those utility foresters also worked with landowners and inspected the lines for tree trimming.  They stayed in their area.  Those jobs are also being farmed out.  I had been offered a job through a consultant I was working for, but had to move to another area.   

The problem with moving on up in company structures is that you are removed from the hands on work and back into the office environment.  Some people thrive in offices, some thrive being more independent.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BeOutdoors79

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on September 01, 2018, 05:50:48 AM
Sounds like a utility forester type of job.  That's quite a bit different than growing trees on larger woodlots or managing timber harvests.

Utility foresters generally go out and have a lot of contact with landowners in advance of tree trimming around utility lines.  They also manage a few trimming crews.  Moving up in Davey would be the same as any other company structure.  You put in your time, do exemplary work, and wait for positions to open up.  They may not be in your area.  I worked for Osmose in my early years doing utility pole inspections, and those jobs caused you to move around every 3-6 months.  The mgmt jobs allowed you to stay in an area year round, but that took years of experience before that happened.  Don't know how it is now, but I expect the same in that type of a service business.  Much like today's gig economy.

I've done some utility work where I did vegetation estimates under large distribution lines and had to work with utility foresters for power companies.  They worked with outfits like Davey and directed the tree trimming.  Power companies sub out most of their work instead of having to maintain their own crews.  Those utility foresters also worked with landowners and inspected the lines for tree trimming.  They stayed in their area.  Those jobs are also being farmed out.  I had been offered a job through a consultant I was working for, but had to move to another area.  

The problem with moving on up in company structures is that you are removed from the hands on work and back into the office environment.  Some people thrive in offices, some thrive being more independent.
Thanks for the comment. It is a utility forester gig. I used to work with landowners quite a bit for permitting work, which I did enjoy. Job pays pretty low, so I love the option, but need to consider how to best support my family. It's a tough decision!

Wudman

Get any and all certifications that you can obtain.  They will make you more attractive to other companies and more valuable to your company.  I would assume that they are requiring you to get your Commercial Pesticide Applicators License.  If not, go ahead and get it anyway.  My brother in law works for one of your competitors.  He started as a groundsman 40 years ago and is now a Regional Operations Manager with 150 men working under him.  He is about ready to retire and has  been prompting me to put in an application.  He said that my Commercial Applicator's License is in demand because they have a hard time getting their operations guys to pass the test.  (The test is not difficult----some folks just have a hard time with tests).  Also, get any safety certifications that you can.  A dual forestry / safety certification can move you forward in the utility business.  It will add to your paycheck.  If not able to speak Spanish, take Spanish as a second language classes.  Most of your laborers "ain't from around here".  If you can pick out a few words, at least you know when you are getting cussed.  Finally, public speaking and public relations classes are very worthwhile.  In my career, typing was the most important class I took in high school and public speaking was the most important class I took in college.  Any competent individual can handle the technical aspect of forestry.  The ones that can manage people, public relations, and communications move forward.  Best of luck to you.

Wudman 

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!