iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Arkansas

Started by Ratwagen, December 23, 2017, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratwagen

Hello folks, im a newbie to your forum and am starting to build my own bandsaw mill after pricing the lumber cost for a barn i am building. as of now it is mainly in the design stage(using google sketch up), except for a bit of metal that i bought new from a local steel place here in western arkansas. I would love any advice that anyone has to offer and i am full of questions after looking at pictures and watching videos on youtube. My primary design comes from watching a youtube video of user BrotherBCoy. i am using 2 1/2" 3/16 wall tube and 3" 3/16 wall for the carriage along with some 1" x 1" angle 1/4" thick. and some 3/8" steel plate.

question 1: Can your toe adjustment and tension adjument be on the same side of the mill?

question 2: When running trailer tires for band wheels is a 4.80 x 12 suffient enough for a hobby mill?

question 3: Is there a way i can post what i have designed from sketchup for others to critique?

im sure i will have more questions once i start putting an arc to steel and truly building something. Thanks for having me on the forum guys ........ A.j.   

Lawg Dawg

Welcome to the forestry forum. ..dig your heels in,  you'll find everything you need to know here
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Kbeitz

question 1 .... Yes
question 2 ... Bigger's  better. Small diameter will brake bands.
question 3 ... Yes
question 4 ... I'm sure you got more...

My mill build link...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82853.0.html

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ratwagen

barbender

I would advise against using the steel "tube in a tube" method for the head movement, it will give you problems in my experience. Examine a Woodmizer LT15 with the "Semi-cantilever" head, I think that design is a better way to go.
Too many irons in the fire

Darrel

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place to get your questions answered.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ratwagen!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den-Den

I would use larger tires than 4.8 x 12, nothing less than 20" outside diameter.  The tension on the blade will load the tires, wheels and axles as if they were on a 2500 - 3000 lb trailer.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia!

I would be tempted to add a second horizontal cross piece (yellow in picture) as close as possible to the tires to reduce flex, as the blade is tensioned it will pull the tires together which will make setting up the tracking more difficult, (think floor truss laying on it's side) also moving the bearing closer to the hub will reduce strain on the axel shaft and bearing.

Bracing on the frame to reduce sideways flexing when cutting, something I have seen in videos when the cut is started and the saw head starts wiggling side to side, makes for a lot of extra strain on everything and a ruff cut.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crossroads

Welcome and have fun with you project
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

JRWoodchuck

My mill head is tube over tube and works well. The longer the outside tube the better. It will create less fore and aft movement and help with binding while lifting the head. As everyone else has said larger wheels.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

petefrom bearswamp

welcome from the swamp
Keep us up to date on the project
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!