iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT70 Super Wide (Vidjayo on da way)

Started by 4x4American, December 12, 2017, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

4x4American

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 16, 2017, 09:23:41 AM
Ok, I watched you cut 2 logs.  Great log turner and mud saw , faster feed than I expected. I wire an old hair dryer at my stick when cold.  NOW you need a gang saw.  When are you coming down to watch my antiques run ?

I like the hair dryer idea alot.  Maybe around Christmas time I'll swing down.
Boy, back in my day..

Crossroads

I keep coming back to your video, that is one impressive machine. I asked my wife if I could have one, she said I should probably stick with the one I have for a couple years.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

starmac

Looking at the specs, it seems like it lost a foot of log in length, I don't think I would like that though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

4x4American

I like that Howe's even offers to pay your tow bill if their additive dont work.  I used to use Howe's all the time when I had my '89 W250 and never had any issues I can recall with it.  I been using it on and off since then, prolly just never shuda stopped using it. 
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

Howes offer to pay the tow bill is pretty much just that, an offer. While howes does as advertised and keeps fuel from gelling, it does nothing for water in the fuel. Most times anymore an engine quits it is because of ice in the filter, especially with winter blend fuel. All fuel has some water in it, the government even allows a certain percentage to be injected in diesel at the refinery, and if any moisture can be detected, they do not pay.

All that said when I use anything anymore (and for the last several years) it is howes, it does keep it from gelling, and lubricates the injectors.
I use it more to fill the filters when I change them than anything though.

4x4American

I remeber getting a lecture in school from a diesel pump rebuilding shop and they were trying to explain about the different additives being a dispersant vs something else.  Pretty much all I tool home with me was that the stanadyne additive was good and the power service was bad.  Something about one if the additives pushes the water through the system while one forces the water to settle to the bottom of the water seperator ir something.
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Ya know, the best way to keep diesel from gelling is to live down south! 

Being a southerner, I'm pretty sure I would gel before my fuel did.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Resonator

Many times I hauled loads down south, and had to make sure to put in anti-gel when getting fuel before I headed home. (Don't think they sell "Winter Blend" south of I40). Many times saw trucks being towed that didn't treat before getting in the cold. Worst stories I heard were car drivers that went north with PURE WATER in their radiator.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

4x4American

Who would put pure water in their raditator thats nuts!  Now I've forgotten about having pure water in my washer fluid tank and had that freeze up before.  Oh and also done that on the sawmill lube tank too.
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on December 20, 2017, 08:33:47 PM
Who would put pure water in their raditator thats nuts!  Now I've forgotten about having pure water in my washer fluid tank and had that freeze up before.  Oh and also done that on the sawmill lube tank too.

Back in the old days that's all they had...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Whatd the yankees do in the old days?  Drain the radiator and hope its cold enough out to keep the engine cool and stop when it starts overheating?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Grizzly

Quote from: 4x4American on December 20, 2017, 08:39:47 PM
Whatd the yankees do in the old days?  Drain the radiator and hope its cold enough out to keep the engine cool and stop when it starts overheating?

I've visited with lots of old timers who really appreciate that they don't have to drain the rads every time they shut down for night. They'd bring the rad fluid inside warm it up, pour it in in the morning and go for another day. Real pain. But then again i guess we're canucks.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

He he, people used to, and a few still do have to drain their oil and keep it warm to crank the next morning, with antifreeze for the radiators, no problem.

When I had a shop on I 40, I do not know how many I towed in that had no or to little antifreeze in their rigs.

scrout

Lord, that thing is fast.  I am still all manual, that thing is like Star Wars compared to what I am used to....

moodnacreek

Like the other member said; keep the tank full. Also run the diesel often. On my tractor and diesel fork lift I keep adding kero  when its below 20 every nite. On the tractor I've noticed it starts faster with kerosene  in the fuel. The suspended water ,mostly from condensation, causes this 'snow flaking' in the fuel.  In an emergency you can ad gasoline to the fuel but it changes the timing of the engine and is not recommended.

starmac

gasoline changes the timing??  Over the years I must have changed the timing a lot of times when dealing with gelled fuel.

Southside

My guess is he means that you will see ignition sooner than normal as the gas would lower the necessary combustion pressure. Sort of along the lines of an automatic firing out of battery due to a cook off.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Doug, thanks for the machine shop video. I've actually  done what he did on the horz. milling machine but by eye, dry and not accurate and I am not a machinest. [ just a wood butcher]  Any how with a friend like that you could build a nice edger like mine or better.

double cut1

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!