iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greetings - Seeking Advice - CF Exam - New England

Started by iiibbb, November 04, 2009, 11:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iiibbb

Greetings--

I received a Forestry degree from Virginia Tech in 1993, and started on a research track MS Soil Science in 1996, worked at a research unit for the Forest Service for 4 years, eventually got a PhD, and had a couple of forest soils/hydrology research position since 2004.  Due to some family issues, and trying to work with my wife's career we had to move to Rhode Island.  Not exactly the best economic times to make such a move, but you do what you have to do for family.

I'd love to get back into the federal system if I can, so one of the career paths I'm angling for would be a jobsin the NRCS.  To get there I need to work as a "Technical Service Provider" for a while, and to do that I need to become a Certified Forester... but there is a marked lack of information about this exam even fron SAF (I ordered their pitiful study guide).  It's too bad that I could have gotten this certification without an exam years ago, but the track I was on didn't require it.

So I'm seeking anyone's advice/input about

(1) Starting/running a consulting forestry business
(2) Preparing for the CF exam
(3) Professional networking in New England

Thanks

Woolywolf

Hi iiibbb,

I'm currently in a consulting forestry class at N.C. State.  Throughout the semester, we've had consulting foresters come in and talk to us. Right now, it seems to be a tough time for consultants, with the housing market down.  They are hopeful it will start turning around next year. Anyway, they gave us advice on starting and running a consulting firm.  First, they said that it's a lot easier to start your own consulting forestry company after working a while with or under someone else. Sometimes consultants will contract out work, say, cruising timber or marking boundaries or doing habitat assessment, to other people. That said that is a good way to gain experience and network.  Second, they said that if you do jump right in and start your own business, which some people do, then it helps if that business is subsidized from outside income (a rich wife or nice inheritance  8)), at least at first. Third, they said that it is important to develop a niche and competitive advantage. Some consultants specialize in timber sales, some in wildlife management, some in uneven age management, some in wetland mitigation, or tree ordinances, or soil surveys. The Ph.d would surely give you a competitive advantage--a lot of the professors do consulting work on the side for big industries and big bucks.  If you are thinking about doing traditional forestry consulting, being a member of the ACF (Association of Consulting Foresters) also provides a competitive advantage. 

Another thing, do you need to be a certified SAF forester or a certified Rhode Island Forester? They are different. Each state, or at least most of them, have their own test that a person must pass to use the title "Forester."  In North Carolina, the test is open book.   

iiibbb

Thanks for the response.

I do have a 3 or 4 niches I'm prepared to specialize in.  I have a pretty diverse background in forest soils, hydrology, and wetlands.  I have a few irons in the fire with the NRCS so I think I'll be able to get some work right of the bat.

The PhD generally makes me both over-qualified, and under-qualified to be a consultant.  I'm sure it will give customers confidence in my knowledge base.  I probably lack some of the practical matters that consultants run into (such as an intimate knowledge of market dynamics, and it's been a while since I wrote an actual management plan).  I hope to work with the NRCS as a research consultant.  The people I've been dealing with have some research questions they want addressed.  I am not sure what my chances of nailing down a research grant without a direct association with a land-grant school, but I think it may be possible.

Again, my main goal is to get in with the NRCS, who require the SAF certification to act as a technical service provider for them in forestry issues.  I see this as a potential advantage since it will keep the competition down, but there is almost no info on how to prepare for the CF exam.  I hate to knock the SAF but they just weren't good at servicing the profession when I was coming up in school, and once I was on the research track they didn't matter.  I'm certain I am smart enough to pass an exam, but not without knowing what to study.  The SAF study guide is not comprehensive and pretty disappointing.

I would love to work with a consultant before I make my own company, but I'm not sure how receptive anyone's going to be in essentially training a potential competitor.  I will probably get some of this by doing some volunteer work for the NRCS.  I moved up here for my wife's career, so we have a decent income while I try to get this thing off the ground.

I just don't want to spin my wheels too long.

Ron Wenrich

Let's start with the basics.  Do you have a business plan other than one in your head?  It sounds like you are trying to hang your hat on being a consultant for the government, and primarily in research.  Do you think there will be money there in the coming years?  Right now, governments are bleeding money, and I expect them to cut back in years to come.  That's just my outlook.

Before I did any consulting work, I worked at the industry level.  I learned what the inside of a log looked like before I went out and did any procurement work.  Your research background sounds good, but can you apply your knowledge to the field?  That's where the rubber hits the highway in the business community.  Getting any type of industry job right now will be tough, especially in Rhode Island.  You're PhD will turn off most mill types. 

After getting into the consulting field, I had to compete with all the local consultants.  Things got worse at every downturn in the economy since all those recent grads felt they were qualified to be a consultant.  They're not.  It seems that all the consultants really did was market timber.  Some were good in the woods, many were not. 

Finding a niche outside the mainstream is a good idea, but how are you going to market that idea?   Markets I would be looking at are urban forestry and carbon credits.  In your locale, urban forestry might be a pretty good market.  Most towns don't have a forester, and they can't afford one.   Part time sounds a lot better.  Shade tree inventories and conditions might be a niche.  Same goes for utility line inventories. 

Carbon credits is something that is in the pipeline if they approve the cap and trade bill.  Not a done deal.  But, if it comes through, they'll be needing people to help landowners sign up their timberland for the carbon offsets. 

Do you really need certification if you're not doing mainstream forestry work?  Just my 2 cents. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

iiibbb

There is work on the horizon through NRCS.  I need the CF for that... it's on their checklist.

I need to get at least some of this work because I have applied for NRCS jobs in the past and haven't competed because I don't have experience in their program delivery.  Working as a TSP would give me this.

There are a couple of immediate opportunities through the NRCS if I can get myself going ASAP.  There is stimulus money to be had for research $$.  I like your urban forestry idea; I'm looking at pursuing an agroforestry niche.  I have experience in that, and the NRCS is interested in that right now, particularly silvopasture.  With all of the fragementation, and small woodlots around here it seems to be something that could grow legs.

Again, half the goal here is to get some program experience and nail down a regular paying job when it pops up.

This isn't the only avenue I'm pursuing, but it's something happening now.

It might be better for me to work for someone who already has a consulting business, but I'm just not sure anyone would be receptive.

Don K

I can't give you any advice, but I can welcome you to the forum. There are several Foresters on here. Just sit back and wait they'll be along soon.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ron Scott

If you have a forestry degree from an acredited forestry school and a PHD if forestry or associated resource area, I wouldn't fear the SAF test for certification. If you know forestry basics, there isn't much to prepare for.

I also recommend joining SAF and your local chapter of ACF and attend their meetings. A lot of continuing education and networking concerning forestry and  employment can be done through these professional organizations. Also a mentor from one of these organizations can be a big help to you in your local area.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!