iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree identification

Started by stumpy, August 13, 2004, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Does anyone know of a website that has pictures for tree identification? I have a tree (about 40' tall 18" diameter) that I can't ID. I think it may be a birch or poplar. It has virticle bark up to about half way. From then it's a smooth kind of whiteish bark that looks like a birch.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Tom

Put a picture on here and give us a shot. Jeff showed me some really white bark Aspen.

redpowerd

sounds like white poplar, on older trees, trunk is furrowed, younger stems are a smooth white. can you rub the wooly white off of the younger stems to reveal a dull green?
what do the leaves look like?
look at the pith and see if its star shaped.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

stumpy

Here's a picture. The tree's dead and I'm wondering if it's worth sawing

stumpy

Sorry, that picture didn't help much. I'll try again

redpowerd

dead standing poplar is NEVER dry, she'll fall over before she dries out
mill it up, makes real sturdy joists.
unless you like drillin holes or bent nails, put it up wet ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

It could be big tooth aspen, and dead standing poplar and aspen in the northern states certainly can be dry. I have seen where aspen was girdled to dry it to make a cabin two years later. Depends on the site I would imagine.  Aspen makes a cool looking cabin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

i seem to think that the bark, like a birch, keeps water from evaporating from deadwood.
i know the bark willl fall off the younger branches, causing them to dry.
whereas birchbark is waterproof, the bark of aspen absorbs water, keeping air out of the deadwood.
i know ive thrown lots of water cutting poplar on wind protected hills, and sun soaked trees in a windy spot can be ready for the stove
but i guess you can apply that scenerio to any standing deadwood ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

what kind of soil is it growing in, and can you describe the leaf?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Furby

I've seen standing dead that was VERY dry wood, but VERY wet bark.

redpowerd

amazing, im allways gettin soaked!
wait, we havent even id' the tree!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Furby

Well my parents have some trees that I've been trying to figure out as well. They look kinda like the pic posted. I say kinda because the pic is a little small, so it's hard to tell.
Anyways, they have been I.D. as both aspen and poplar by different people. I've looked all over and keep finding the same thing, they have characteristics of both trees. Now maybe I'm just doing a bad job on the I.D., but I keep getting the same thing.
Now I'm wondering if it may, be the hybrid thing, and that these may be the same thing stumpy has.
I can get pics in a day or two of what we have here.

Stumpy, just my 2 cents, but unless it was going to be a real burden on me, I'd saw it just to see what was inside. It can still be used as firewood.

redpowerd

poplar and aspen similar?
you say tomata and i say tomato :D
describe the tree and the dirr manual will name it!
if swampdonky dont beat me to it! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Furby

Ok, so are these indeed big tooth aspen?

Stumpy, do these trees look close to what you have?
Sorry they are a bit blurry.  :-/

stumpy

Thanks for all your help.
Furby, Your pictures look similar to my tree, but the lower trunk bark is a little different. Unfortunately, the tree is dead so I don't have any leaves.Also, I have not been able to reduce the pixels on my pictures enough to get them in. I'm going to go ahead and saw it, and see what I have.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandmar

wow...sure looks like our poplar here except for the leaves ::) I got one standing about 60 feet tall....dead as a hammer....had a little brush pile fire under it last fall that had steam coming from under the bark up to about 40 feet :o Not real sure how this will saw ..but gonna push her down and give it a try....soon as
I get a round tuit ;)

Sandmar

Thank You Sponsors!