iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does bark daul blades?

Started by Kingmt, November 05, 2015, 07:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

I put one of my new blades on my saw & cut a few Virginia Pines and then started cutting Oak. I cut several & pretty happy with how long it lasted when I started cutting the pine again & has to change blades. However I only got a few more logs cut when I had to change again. I trailered all of these kids in & washed any dirt I found in them off. I did skin the bark of the last log I cut after switching blades & I think it sawed much easier but it might have just been the brand new blades. I know the last blade didn't cut that easy to start with tho.

I'm using Kasco 4° blades.

This shining bark is a great deal of work if it has to be done for every one of the logs.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

customsawyer

One of the things some people don't think about is how much the rain has washed sand into the bark of a pine over the years. Most debarkers won't cut deep enough to remove it all. Fresh pine is a blessing and a curse.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tmarch

Most likely the logs have been drug thru the dirt and it was embedded in the bark.  Pressure washing will get rid of most of it, but not all.  Debarking is a pain, but most often the best solution.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

4x4American

I can see your southern accent in your spelling  :)

It doesn't take much to dull a blade when it's spinning as fast as it is.
Boy, back in my day..

Kingmt

I cut & hauled these. They weren't pulled through the dirt. The only dirt was from tree being fell & where it was laying on the ground.

Not saying dirt doesn't blow for four the most part we don't have sandy soil. Something killed a blade fast tho unless it wasn't any good to start with.

I cut with the first blade first about two weeks ago so I don't really remember how it cut to start with. I mostly cut Oak with it. Then I cut a pine that it cut straight but seemed daul so I changed & it cut better but didn't seem that great. That was yesterday evening. I cut a few more today & it just got worse fast till it was making really wavy junk. I put on another new blades & debarked the log & it cut like hot butter.

If this is how pine has to be sawed I don't think I want anymore.

Kingmt

Quote from: 4x4American on November 05, 2015, 07:57:59 PM

It doesn't take much to dull a blade when it's spinning as fast as it is.

I'm sorry for misspelled words but I had a learning disability growing up that I never could spell & have a hard time with using English correctly. The rules that almost always are an exception confuse me.

I do well with math tho since it is a constant.

barbender

I don't think 4X4 was trying to insult ya', we just like to have fun poking at regional differences on here  ;) A tree has lots of sand and grit in the bark before it is ever felled and transported to your mill. Saw until dark sometime and watch the sparks fly, off of clean logs.
Too many irons in the fire

dgdrls

Yes it does and some bark is worse than other.
Debarker, strip the bark or saw your logs to minimize sawing
the bark on the leading edge seems to help.

Dan

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on November 05, 2015, 07:57:59 PM
That was a rude remark, and quite unnecessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

4x4 has southern roots so I think we should give him a pass.  I'm sure it wasn't intended to be rude  :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kingmt

No insult was taken guys. Just trying to help explain why I have misspelled words. I'm just hear for the knowledge. ;)

sandsawmill14

well you have come to the best place on the net for information :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

I meant it as a good thing, listening to a southern accent is like music to my ears!  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  And that's right, thank you, Paul, my father's side is from GA, and I'ma tell you, any time I visit or talk with any aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents from his side, they always make sure to inform me that I'm a yankee!  It's all in good fun.  I also had (well still have lol) a learning disability, pretty good at spelling, really slow at math.  Not knockin ya cause you spelt something wrong.  Lynn you've corrected me multiple times before!  My granma, we called her Lallah, always corrected me, nothing wrong with it, I'd rather know the proper way for next time anyhow.

smiley_fiddler
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

If you're sounding out "dull" in a southern accent, op had it spelt right anyway! 
As a guide for us Yanks:
Oil = all
Soil = sawl
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

All is OK, but the remark caused a member to feel the need to defend his grammar use which prompted my response. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingmt

It's really OK

But it might help pointing out which word next time. 😉 I just now figured out which word ya'll were takin about. (Yes the last sentence was for you 4x4American) 😀

Auto correct helps me out but sometimes it can't even figure out what I'm trying to say. 😕

dustyhat

To the bark ? yes some bark could and i believe shag or scaly bark hickory would and dos in my opinion . but its just hard to get all the dirt and mud off of  logs sometimes.

Cazzhrdwd

Anyone got a good suggestion on a bought or homemade debarker?
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Magicman

I regularly intentionally misspell words and overuse punctuation to emphasize because the written word sometimes has no feeling.  I am also glad that Jeff provided a host of emoticons to add personality and express feelings. 

Back to the topic, yes, sawing bark will dull blades.  My Debarker is a great help clearing a path for the blade when sawing logs, but it is of little use when edging flitches.  I find myself sometimes sawing through what I avoided the first time.  Tough, but dat is sawin'.   ;D  :D

Kingmt

Quote from: dustyhat on November 05, 2015, 09:41:26 PM
To the bark ? yes some bark could and i believe shag or scaly bark hickory would and dos in my opinion . but its just hard to get all the dirt and mud off of  logs sometimes.
Sorry I quoted the wrong person.
Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 05, 2015, 09:45:11 PM
Anyone got a good suggestion on a bought or homemade debarker?
I was at the metal yard the other day. This was the new metal yard but they bring over stuff they took in as scrap at the other yard when they think they can resale it. Anyhow I found a tool to debark with. I don't know what it is called but it kinda looks like a spoon with a knife edge on the edge. It should have a handle something like a rake but it was missing & I haven't made one yet.

Magicman

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 05, 2015, 09:45:11 PMAnyone got a good suggestion on a bought or homemade debarker?

I regularly use these in addition to the sawmill Debarker.  I will mention that there is a huge difference between a new/sharp Debarker blade and a dull blade.  They dull slowly & gradually so the difference is not noticeable until the teeth are rounded over.  Wow, what a difference when you install a new/sharp blade. 

Cazzhrdwd

Good point about the blade on the debarker.

I was thinking of a chainsaw debarker, any thoughts on those? I hate to dedicate a chaisaw to one but they seem to work well.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

4x4American

Quote from: Kingmt on November 05, 2015, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: dustyhat on November 05, 2015, 09:41:26 PM
I was at the metal yard the other day. This was the new metal yard but they bring over stuff they took in as scrap at the other yard when they think they can resale it. Anyhow I found a tool to debark with. I don't know what it is called but it kinda looks like a spoon with a knife edge on the edge. It should have a handle something like a rake but it was missing & I haven't made one yet.

It's called a bark spud
Boy, back in my day..

SAnVA

Virginia pine or field pine has some terrible knots in it that will make a good blade dive, use the same blade on another species and it might cut fine!

Kingmt

Quote from: SAnVA on November 05, 2015, 10:24:12 PM
Virginia pine or field pine has some terrible knots in it that will make a good blade dive, use the same blade on another species and it might cut fine!
I know what you mean. I've seen this already but I've been saying a few. The one blade is definitely shot. It was even cutting slow through the soft stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!