iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Additives for Diesel engines?

Started by Magicman, December 14, 2009, 02:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Just wondering.  #1 diesel is not available where I live.  Sometimes I have to "glow" the old Lombardini several times before it starts.  Anybody use this stuff?  Good....Bad ??

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

york

Hey,where can you get this stuff???Go ahead and give it a try,can~t hurt...
Albert

bandmiller2

Majic,I've never used that particular product you would probibly be better to buy a drum of kerosene and mix it in during cold weather.A little Seafoam mixed in won't hurt.The diesel fuel we get now is low sulfur and who knows what else the have done to it.I think a good grade of home heating oil with some kerosene is as good as your going to get.Heating oil varies some of it is fine and better for older diesels if their not on the road[no tax]Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Norm

That is what I use for all my diesel engines here in the great white north.

There is no substitute for a engine heater though, power serve will help but you'll still be using the glow plugs.

Larry

I used it in the farm bulk tank cause I worried about condensation.  When I got rid of the tank that was the last I used.  Firm believer in plugging them in...just got done loading lumber...took 20 minutes for my little Ford to heat up nuff to easily start.

Course in your case you might need an extra long cord. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Quote from: Larry on December 14, 2009, 03:03:51 PM
Course in your case you might need an extra long cord. ;D

Very true.  Right now, my mill is sitting back in the woods, probably 1/4 mile from "trick-uh-licity"..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom Sawyer

I use that stuff all the time in all my diesels.  In the winter I also plug in when I can.

Tom

Gary_C

The best thing I've found for diesel starting in the cold is one of those full synthetic oils in a 5W-40 grade.  All my vehicles have to sit out in the woods where there is no electric hook up and they start so much easier with those synthetic oils.

Some swear by that Power Service additive and some don't like any additives. Most diesel fuel is now blended for your area and could be a blend of #1 and #2 or what is called a winterized fuel. Do not use home heating oil as it is not certified for cetane rating. And it most likely has red dye in it that would cost plenty of dough if you get caught.

At any rate, most cold weather starting problems are slow engine cranking problems or compression problems. First go over your electrical system and clean connections and make sure the battery is being charged fully. Then switch to a synthetic lube oil and change fuel filters and air filters.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

Quote from: Gary_C on December 14, 2009, 04:11:19 PM
The best thing I've found for diesel starting in the cold is one of those full synthetic oils in a 5W-40 grade......and change fuel filters and air filters.

That will be simple enough to do, and I have a scheduled oil change and service coming up soon.   Thanks.... :)

sprucebunny

Here is a study done in 2007 about replacing lost lubricity in the ULSD. The products tested include "winter" additives. The winter additives all seem to do the job but some are better at replacing the lost lubricity.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Gary C; I don't think anyone will bother Magicman about putting dyed diesel in his sawmill.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bill m

I use the cetane boost all year round. It does improve my fuel mileage. I also use the Power Service Diesel 9-1-1 in the red container to help prevent fuel gelling and water in the fuel. It does work!
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Mark K

I feel that that is the best stuff on the market. I've used it for three years in my skidder, truck and the 3 tractors we run during the winter on the farm. No jel-ups since and it ads lubricant to Low sulfur fuel which is very hard on older diesels 8). 911 is great for jel-ups, just dont use to much or you'll be buying an injection pump.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jcbrotz

I am a firm believer in synthetics they work wonders in longevity and fuel usage also. I run amsoil in everything I own just cuz I had good luck with it in the old 84. Synthetis will make you engine start easier, run smoother and cooler and thus get better "mileage" Just my opinion some don't agree but if you try it I bielieve you woun't go back to reg. oil again more money but you will get it back in the long run.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Gary_C

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 14, 2009, 04:47:28 PM
Gary C; I don't think anyone will bother Magicman about putting dyed diesel in his sawmill.

Oops, you're right. Was thinking about one thing and typing about another. But the only real difference between dyed and undyed now is the dye. They are now both ULSD.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

customsawyer

Magicman when you park that mill in the winter make sure it is next to a current bush that way you can plug it in. :D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: customsawyer on December 14, 2009, 07:09:54 PM
Magicman when you park that mill in the winter make sure it is next to a current bush that way you can plug it in. :D :D

customsawyer......You are a "bad man".  You know that I don't park my mill in the Winter.  Plus our current bushes are all 240 volts and I only need 120..... ;D

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 14, 2009, 04:47:28 PM

:D :D :D  Yup, except when they run out, dyed fuel is all that I have ever used.

Magicman

sprucebunny,  That link is interesting.

sdunston

Magicman, that is good stuff as a anti gel and a lube and cleaner. Living in the great north I use it all year long. I have never had to use its sister product 911 and have started diesels when it was 10 below zero and never had a gel problem(they did get a shot of starting fuild) fire_smiley
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Magicman

Quote from: sdunston on December 14, 2009, 08:03:06 PM
(they did get a shot of starting fuild) fire_smiley   Sam 

Which the WM can't have, but my old JD is "plumbed" for it, and the Oliver has to have...... ;D

solidwoods

Seems like a heating element in the engine coolant (block and radiator) would be a nice invention.  Since we typically arrive with a vehicle with a dc system, hook up to the heaters to heat the coolant to 170deg and start.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

backwoods sawyer

I run the high sulfur off road diesel most of the time and will run a tank of #2 diesel ever now and then. My concern normally is not cold weather but damp weather where condensation can be an issue. I mix a anti gelling agent in my 55 gallon bulk tank during the damp season.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

stonebroke

Magicman  So you really cannot get kerosene inMS? I run 50 % kero in the winter. makes for much easier starting. Power service is great stuff. I use it year round.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: stonebroke on December 14, 2009, 10:39:55 PM
Magicman  So you really cannot get kerosene inMS? I run 50 % kero in the winter.  Stonebroke

Oh, I can get kerosene.  I tried some last year and was glad to finally get it out of my tank.  If I remember correctly, I put in 100%.  I don't remember what was wrong, but I do remember that I won't do it again.... :(   50% might be OK.

I don't know the quality of the kerosene, or who buys it, or for what use.  I do know that the price was twice what I was paying for off-road Diesel.

Magicman

Quote from: Gary_C on December 14, 2009, 04:11:19 PM
The best thing I've found for diesel starting in the cold is one of those full synthetic oils in a 5W-40 grade.

I just got back from the auto parts store.  Bought 5 Qt. of Rotella Synthetic.  This oil change will last through the rest of December, January, and maybe February. 

I did find that the glow plug relay socket showed evidence of heat.  I cleaned it up and tightened the plug in contacts.  I am now getting full "juice" to the glow plugs.

stonebroke

Magicman
You do realize that #1 diesel is kerosene.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!