iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Truck woes

Started by petefrom bearswamp, May 23, 2018, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I have a 2014 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab I bought in Feb 2014.
Mileage is just north of 32000.
As my wife points out this is the 9th last truck I was ever going to own, starting with my 1985 Chevy c10 diesel.
I have 90 percent been a gm man but did have 2 Fords in the 90s, but after getting to know the service manager at the dealership on a first name basis went back to GM.
This one has got me to pondering again.
Left front wheel bearing is shot and the drive line where it goes into the differential housing  is loose.
To compound the problems, mice have now 3 times gotten into the cabin filter and heater fan.
Yesterday when I started it to go to the repair shop I heard a high pitched squeal, and it was coming from the said fan.
I turned the fan up and squeal got lots louder there were several clunks and a foul odor came into the cab.
Very poor design on the part of GM to not provide for keeping the critters out of the heating system. Maybe go back to Ford, Toyota or gasp, even Ram next time.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your truck issues. I am also driving my last truck (I hope). My 2009 Dodge 1500 came with a lifetime power train warranty and I later bought Dodge's bumper to bumper warranty covering everything except wearing parts like tires and brake pads and such. I pay a $100 co-pay and they fix the rest. Now to see if the body will outlast mine. I did have to have the passenger side rocker arm panel replaced a few weeks ago due to rust. My wife has an 03 Dodge she loves but the body may not make it. Already needs a new bed due to rust around the fender wells.

Good luck on your truck. Is yours covered by warranty? 32,000 and less than 4 years does not seem like a lot of miles for what you are describing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Pete
I have a 2007
Had a 2008
Have a 2011
Had a 2012
They like the wheel bearings and ball joints 
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

Pete,

Front Wheel bearings and CV joints on those 1500's is a pretty common deal.  They should be a bolt in sealed hub and bearing unit if I remember correct???

As for the mice, I don't care what make you get, those little critters are EVIL!  My real job is at a Toyota dealer, we see them ALL THE TIME.  They like cabin filters and fans, and also are huge fans of the valley's in-between cylinder heads and on 4 cylinder under the plastic intakes...  We've seen enough damage that folks have had to call their insurance company.  Just as an FYI, on my 2005 2500HD, they got into / under the fuse box in the engine compartment.  Not sure if the 14 has big box on the drivers side with all the fuse stuff in it, but if it does, check it!  They did mouse stuff on the fuse's and that was gross, worse was the munching they did on the tiny gauge wires under the fuse box (you can get to under it easy too, just pinch a few plastic clips).

Good luck to ya.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

RPF2509

Plus one on the poor bearings and front end for GM.  In 150K miles my 2012 ate 2 front ends and burned up a bearing after a long road trip at highway speeds.  It was exciting to feel the wobble, hear parts hitting the undercarriage, see parts in the rearview mirror and then put out the grease fire when I stopped (always carry an extinguisher!).  Granted my trucks see heavy use off road in the dust and mud but this was a bit much.  I now have a 2016 Ford which has done well with 50K on it now.  Definitely a better off road truck with better clearance.  Soured on Fords in the 90's with an F250 that literally fell apart.  Went to Chevy and was happy for a decade.  Maybe now I'm back in Ford's corner.

gspren

I've heard that they now use soybeans to make the insulation for the wiring and the mice are extra fond of it. I've had multiple GMCs and multiple Fords, their all great sometimes and they all break down sometimes, I'd a tried a Dodge but could never find one with comfy seats.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Tin Horse

I usually owned chevs and lately a 2012 silverado. Minor problems but a definite quality reduction over the years. Great technology when it all works. A few years ago I bought a used Toyota Tundra 2002  V8 for my daughter. She was less than impressed. I ended up keeping it. After driving it and carefully checking out I liked it better than the chev. No rust and now has only 170,000 K. For $6000.00 it's been flawless. Better on fuel also. It's also great in tight areas when delivering firewood. I think this was one of the best trucks out there. :)
As far as mice go I'm constantly checking both truck and car. If they sit any length of time I get mice and chipmunks.    
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

petefrom bearswamp

Holy cow, you guys keep trucks WAY longer than I do, usually I keep them about 4 years and well under 100k.
The exception to the rule was my 2002 Chevy Heavy half, 6 liter crew cab which I kept for 8 years but still only about 85 k on it, no problems except rust. Should have kept it i guess.
I should add that I also kept a compact sedan or hatchback for most of my driving but i did haul a small utility trailer with them for my ATV on it for my work.
My 2010 GMC had about 55K when I swapped it for this truck.Very trouble free vehicle also.
this one has been good until now.
I dont have a report back from my mechanic as yet on what is really wrong (except for the mice)

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PAmizerman

Sorry to hear about you're truck Pete.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Corley5

We bought our Dodge Cummins new in April of 2002.  16 years and 285,000 miles later we're shopping for a new truck ;) ;D  It's time :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

That's hardly broken in, my '06 Duramax has over 400,000 on the clock now and almost always has a goose neck hooked to it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

The old Dodge pulled a gooseneck all over the country too but the Michigan winters weren't kind.  I'd drive it anywhere still but the body is getting pretty bad.  It's a little lighter every day. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

Going back to a Jimmy I had , a '76, it ate u-joints. Never figured out the issue, every 6 weeks like clock work, I had to change a u-joint. Was so bad I bought them 6 at a time. I finally sold it and got a P/U.
 Never had an issue like that again. I always buy used and run them as long as the body is good, in NY winters they see lots of salt. I still get to 200,000 +/- maybe 20K on each.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Hilltop366

It seems some GMs can go through wheel bearings, my brother had a 08 from new and put 4 wheel bearings in it in 60000 miles (his 13 has been much better).

I had a well used 03 f150 with over 160000 miles on it and would tease him that he spent way more on repairs than I did and my truck cost $25000.00 less.

Thank You Sponsors!