iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 025 won't start

Started by ronaldlee, April 05, 2007, 07:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldlee

I have a Stihl 025 that won't start. It has seen little use since new. Was running fine in the fall . I did let it set all winter with old gas in it,but when it wouldn't start I drained the old stuff out and put fresh gas in.Still nothing.I hooked a new spark plug the the wire and grounded to the cylinder head. The spark looks weak to me,but I don't know how to tell.Also,when I pull the rope without the plug in ,it appears to be blowing plenty of fuel through.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ---------Ron

sawmilllawyer

:P, just my two cents worth; check the coil. May not be getting enough voltage to ignite the fuel. Also could be flooded pull the sprak plug and crank it over. Dry out plug and replace with a new one. Good luck, I hate trips to the dealer for repairs.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

trapper

my o25 needs to go to dealer every 2 years to replace a rotted leaking fuel line. is this common?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bill

Starting a gas engine requires just a few basics. Air, Gas and Spark. If you check them and they happen at the right time in the right amount you'll have covered the basics.

Usually if I let my Stihl 019 sit with gas over many months it takes cleaning the air filter, some  new gas and spark plug, and sometimes I have to replace the fuel filter/gas line from the tank to the carb. I figure if you cover those you have a good chance of getting her started.

Good Luck . . .

Ax- man

Get the cylinder cleaned out and the plug dried off as mentioned, put the plug back in the cylinder, remove your air filter , if you have a clean spray bottle around put some of your mixed gas into and spray a little down the throat of the carb, then pull the engine over with the pull starter, if it starts and runs for a brief moment your spark is fine, then the problem is a plugged fuel filter , bad gas line, problem in the carb, if the saw does not try to start then you have a spark problem.

joe_indi

If the fuel was allowed to be in the saw for a long time, I think you have a stuck metering needle in the carb.
If you have a crankcase tester its very easy to confirm.
Pull off the fuel hose from the carb, connect the tester to the carb and pump in some air.If the needle does not hold steady the needle is stuck or not closing properly.
Try this simple method,  it could work.
Remove the air filter and its manifold.It is the bit of bent plastic onto which the filter is snapped on.There are  nuts on either side. Use a box spanner to take them off(8mm)
Remove the manifold and refit the nuts.
Pull out the spark plug.
Keep the swithch in the 'off' position
Pull the fuel hose from the carb and spray a bit of WD40 or any other similar cleaner into the hole of the fuel hose connector on the carb.
Block the mouth of the carb with your right thumb,while depressing the throttle fully.
Crank the engine a couple of times.(Fast cranking)
Repeat this a few times.
Refit the fuel hose and crank the engine at least ten times.Remove your thumb from the carb
Turn the the saw upside down, depress the throttle fully and crank another 10 times.
All the excess fuel and stuff will get blown out through the spark plug hole.
Place the saw back to its normal side up.
Crank a few times with the throttle wide open, but no choke.
Repeat the upside down action once more to check if the leaky metering needle problem has been solved.If you don't see any fuel drops or vapor coming out of the plug hole, the problem should have been solved.
Now clean the spark plug and fit it.
Refit the filter manifold and airfilter.
Take the switch lever to 'choke' and then to the 'start' position which is one step up.
Try to start it now.
It should work.
If it doest not start, give the starter one pull with the switch in choke and then move it to start position.
This should work.

windthrown

Quote from: trapper on April 05, 2007, 10:52:27 PM
my o25 needs to go to dealer every 2 years to replace a rotted leaking fuel line. is this common?

Common enough. I have had to replace both my 210 and 290 fuel lines this year. Typical fault in Stihls it seems. Typical gas line failure is that they sort of start but do not rev, and leak gas. Typically they crack near the grommit that seals the gas tank. Easy to replace ad I do it myself. Local saw shop guy says he replaces a lot of them all the time.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Thank You Sponsors!