iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk 2017

Started by Magicman, April 04, 2017, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Today, April 4th is the deadline for all hunting license applications.  If you apply for either license of preference points, it must be done online or postmarked today.

Also, this year is the last year that paper applications will be accepted.  Beginning in 2018, all applications will be online only.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

I haven't been up there in several years. Last time I went we saw more people than deer or elk. Had some good hunts up there 20 years ago

Magicman

My next license will be my last.  Of course I also said that in 2012, but it's a fact this time.  I have about a 75% chance of drawing this year.  Marty is one preference point behind me so maybe I can make an accompanying trip with him next year and then I will "hang up my spurs".  My legs don't do mountains like they once could.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

My father in law killed the biggest deer we have gotten up there sitting on his 4 wheeler. He had knee surgery and couldn't walk. We put him on a draw they traveled a lot. Enjoy while you can

gspren

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on April 05, 2017, 10:53:08 AM
My father in law killed the biggest deer we have gotten up there sitting on his 4 wheeler. He had knee surgery and couldn't walk. We put him on a draw they traveled a lot. Enjoy while you can
I've never seen a deer sitting on a 4 wheeler, a few draped over the rack. Seriously, glad he got one, it's a bummer when you can't walk like you once did.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ToddsPoint

I had to give up bowhunting a few years ago.  My back is so messed up I can't sit for very long in a stand or on a bucket.  Glad I killed some deer in my life.  Now just a memory.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Magicman

The hunt code that the Colorado Fish and Wildlife has added to my online application indicates that I have drawn my Elk license for this year.  At age 74, this will be my last Colorado Elk hunt.

Briankinley2004

barbender

Bittersweet, Magic, but I'm glad you drew.
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Best of luck with your hunt.
Where in colo do you hunt?
I quit going about 4 yrs ago
Miss it but cant walk the distances required anymore.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Thanks guys.  This is a second season Bull Elk license near where our late FF member Rancher, Dave Neukirch lived.

petefrom bearswamp

Looked his location up.
When my son and i hunted it was in North Park south of Walden.
Made friends with a guy who let us stay in his 200 K summer hideaway
Linda and I spent a great week there in 2008.
bought bull over the counter in Walden and the place had leftover cow licenses but wouldn't take a credit card for the cow license
My cash was all buried in the bottom of my car so passed.
wouldn't you know it but I had 6 cows within 50 feet.
Worst mistake of my western hunting career
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

My non-resident second season Colorado Bull Elk license came in the mail today.  I will be 74 years old for this my last time to carry a rifle in Colorado.

I have worked up to 10 miles on my bicycle getting my legs ready. 

Magicman

The Maine and then the Michigan trips occupied my time in July and the first of August, but I am now getting into the get-ready to get-ready mode.

Daily heavy rains have eliminated my bicycle riding, but I have been doing some serious restructuring work on the truck camper. I should finish that today and then go through cycling the refrigerator, furnace, and water heater.

It's two months away and counting.  The season date is; Oct. 21 through Oct. 29. 

Magicman

As I mentioned in Reply #10 above, when Marty hunted this area in 2013, we met our late FF Member Rancher.  LINK and LINK

Here is a picture that Dave took while we were there in 2013.

He was a very accomplished photographer.

Marty, Rancher, and myself in Oct. 2013.

Magicman

I put a new battery $$$ in the camper and installed a battery cut off yesterday. This morning it got a "top to bottom" washing.

I am steadily gathering and organizing "stuff". Pat is beginning to think "meals". We have done very well in the past with cooked, bagged, and frozen meats. That way we only have to cook our starch and open a can of veggies, plus a can of peaches/pears.

Having the Honda 2000 for the microwave and toaster is "camping" in style.

fishfighter

Don't forget the coffee pot. ;D

Magicman

I am having a bit of trouble with the Polaris 425 Xpedition.  I have replaced the battery, A-arm bushings, upper steering bushings, and now I am looking for a problem in the front drive, maybe a CV joint?

Having the 4Wheeler is not a requirement, but it is comforting to know that it is there.

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on September 18, 2017, 05:45:25 PM
Don't forget the coffee pot. ;D
Actually Paul, there will not be a coffee pot.  We have found that using Folgers "singles" works best for us during these camping/hunting trips.  They are quicker and simpler.

fishfighter

No way there for me. Got to have the real deal, 2 mugs in the morning and one late afternoon. Then a beer or ten after the afternoon mug. ;D

bucknwfl

Getting ready for a trip and organizing the gear is almost as much fun as the trip. Mr. Lynn i hope you have a great time. Wish i was heading West too

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on September 18, 2017, 07:52:37 PM
I am having a bit of trouble with the Polaris 425 Xpedition and now I am looking for a problem in the front drive, maybe a CV joint?
"A problem in the front end" was an understatement.  I have two new front axles e/w CV joints ordered.  I guess that 15 years is long enough to expect without any repairs/replacements. 

fishfighter

Lynn, when one opens up a old ATV, one will always find all kinds of work. I have a old bayou 220 that the last time I used was about 4 years ago. It's a 1990. Bought it new way back then. In all those years, only a couple batteries, tires and one front bearing was replaced. Got it put to the side for my grandson. ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on September 19, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: Magicman on September 18, 2017, 07:52:37 PM
I am having a bit of trouble with the Polaris 425 Xpedition and now I am looking for a problem in the front drive, maybe a CV joint?
"A problem in the front end" was an understatement.  I have two new front axles e/w CV joints ordered.
The good news was that it did not need but one new axle/CV joint to the tune of $201.00.  The 4Wheeler says that it is ready to go.

I am riding the bike 10 miles every day that I can and topping that off with walking, squats, & stretches.  We are not but ~2½ weeks away from leaving.   move_it

I do not plan to saw but one more job and it is a one day 70 mile road trip.  I told a caller "November" this morning and he was OK with that.

EDIT:  I rode 12 miles tonight.   thumbs-up

francismilker

My son and I have plans to someday go on the Colorado Elk hunt.  It's something we've never done and maybe some day can put together the time and schedules to make it happen. 

I wish you the safest travels and tons of fun and pray for a very awesome trip for you.  May the Lord bless you and yours MM!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!