iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tractor help

Started by Tam-i-am, July 20, 2008, 11:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Kevin's New Holland 1920 tractor is broken!  the clutch won't disengage.  I was hoping a little drop of the miracle lubricant -Rust Reaper would do the trick  ;D but Kevin says the problem is bigger than that.

the linkage is adjusted properly,  and he can feel spring tension when he pushes in the clutch.  does anyone have any ideas what is wrong and/or how to fix it?

Thanks for your help.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Dave Shepard

How long has it been sitting since it was last used? Rusted clutches are common on tractors that sit for long periods. Most Kubotas, and some other brands, actually have a latch to hold the clutch pedal down for storage. If rust is the culprit, you can try pulling something with your foot on the pedal, the load  might be enough to break it free.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Ditto Dave's comment - I've had several tractors (and an old dump truck) where the clutch disk stuck to the flywheel.  Pull it around some with a chain with the clutch pushed in, or simply pull start it and run it some and they usually free up.

When running it, don't be gentle on it; your objective is to put enough load on the disk to free it up, so push the clutch in and pop the throttle a few times and it should free up.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

fishman

we had a massey that wasn't used much and this was common, we always had  box blade on it and would put the rippers down and in the highest gear would pull until the clutch would unstick

beenthere

Quote from: Tamiam on July 20, 2008, 11:34:29 AM
Kevin's New Holland 1920 tractor is broken!  .........

Didn't think they made those in that year.... ;D ;D

Good suggestions for fixing the problem.
But...the RustReaper might help if you use more'n a drop and can get to that rusted clutch..

Maybe Kevin will trade it in for a hydrostatic... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

neslrite

Problem fixed 8)

I have never heard of a clutch rusting to the flywheel, the tractor has only been sitting for three weeks but it has been very humid.

Thanks FF
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

thecfarm

Did you but it new?When I bought my 2120 it came with a piece of hardwood to put under the floor and the clutch pedal to prevent this.I never used it.Mine don't sit around much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dana

I am betting that the throw-out bearing chewed into the pressure plate fingers and that has caused the clutch to become engaged. Thinking back did you on occasional odd noise coming out of that area? If so, that would add to my belief that is your problem.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Dom

The clutch had rusted on our JD 1070, and when we tried to free it, we managed to break a shaft in the transmission.  >:( It happened when we rammed it in gear so we could drive to make it pull on something solid to try and unstuck the clutch.

neslrite

Yes, I did buy it new. I normaly drive it at least once a week this is the first time it has sat in a long time but I did not think it would rust that quickly.

The clutch has been smooth and quiet since I got the tractor.

The manual recommends a spacer under the clutch for long term storage to prevent problems, I think I will space it off if it will sit for awhile.
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Tam-i-am

what Kevin didn't tell you is the funny part of the story.

He didn't want to push against something hard so he chose the dumptruck load of chips sitting there.  The only problem was it didn't stop him he drove right through it. :D

wish I had a camera so you could see his face

tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Fla._Deadheader

Don'tcha just LOVE these wimmenses, rattin out their men ???  as if THEY never do anything out of the ordinary ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhick

Well that's her story, without a picture I'm sure he'll deny it to the end.   But MAN! I would love to have seen a picture of that.  Not saying I haven't done some things that would have been just as bad. ;)
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

iffy

Had a 58 chevy 4x4 that set for about a year up on the hill. Needed some engine work, but when I went up to get the truck, clutch was stuck. Brakes didn't work either. So ------- I said, "honey, I'm going to need someone to steer this truck for me". Honey looked a little dubious. I said, "don't worry, I'm just going to take it out of gear and get behind it and push it down the hill with my tractor". She wanted to know what was going to stop her at the bottom of the hill since the clutch and brakes don't work. I told her that I would hook a chain from the loader to the truck and that would keep her from free wheeling down the hill. Pushed the truck over the edge, stopped the tractor and waited for the slack to get out of the chain. Chain parted like butter. No power steering, no brakes, no clutch, next stop creek. The truck had to go thru a little dip in the yard, and that slowed it down enough that the front wheels were just breaking over the rise when it stopped. Honey didn't say a thing, just glared and stomped off. Some time later when she was relating the story to friends I found out that she discovered an empty snake skin on the floor on the way down and she was so busy looking for the owner that she didn't really get to appreciate the ride.
Was pretty chilly around home for awhile.

WH_Conley

Chilly? I would think more like frost bite. :D
Bill

Warbird

iffy...  That is the best 'marital bliss' story ever!!  :D :D

Ed_K

I hook the old massy harris to a BIG tree and start it up in road gear with the clutch in to get it working right again  ;D . Somtimes the front tires are off the ground 3'  :o .
Ed K

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 20, 2008, 12:12:30 PM
How long has it been sitting since it was last used? Rusted clutches are common on tractors that sit for long periods. Most Kubotas, and some other brands, actually have a latch to hold the clutch pedal down for storage. If rust is the culprit, you can try pulling something with your foot on the pedal, the load  might be enough to break it free.

Dave

I wondered what that hook was for. :)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dana

What have you found out? ???
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Corley5

With the pto engaged and clutch pedal down put a 2' pipe wrench on the pto shaft and whack it with a sledge hammer.  Works on old Farmalls  ;) ;D  It probably wouldn't work on newer tractors with hydraulic ptos
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!