iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw - Husqvarna 357?

Started by PineNut, February 25, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineNut

I am looking for a new saw in addition to my Huskie 455 Rancher. Right now it is down for a chain tension screw. No big deal but the local dealer is out of stock. Seems that is always the case when I need it. Looking for an additional saw and would like to move up in the quality.  I am considering the Huskie 357 XP. Want to run a 3/8" .050 gauge chain on a 20" bar. The 357 seems a little lighter and a little more powerful than the 455. That is about the largest saw I feel that I would need. My cutting is logs and firewood for personal use plus the usual cleanup jobs that are always present. 

Would consider a Stihl but the last time I was by their local outlet, they did not even seem to care that I existed.

Any recommendations as to the suitability of this saw?

Troutfisher

I like the 357xp, it has steel springs for av mounts, non-cat muffler, it'll pull a 20" bar, and it's light.

Cut4fun

I like the 357 also. Only complaint is the chain tensioner and that it dont like to stay upright in the bed of a truck.

On your 455 just pull bar out tight and up and tighten the bar nuts till you get her fixed.

PineNut

I tried that but it doesn't work. I have the tool less adjuster which only has one nut and that is difficult to get tight. Just will not hold it.

woodburner

I have a 357xp and it runs great, powerful saw with low weight. I run a 20" bar and it does not have any trouble at all pulling it.

PineNut

Thanks woodburner.

I plan to order one Monday. The local dealer doesn't stock them as he says the local market will not support a quality saw due to the price. Specs look good on it and I am looking to move up to a higher quality saw than the Rancher 455 I now have.

Old_Hickory

Pinenut  i have a good 372 xp you might be interested in
gotta love those XP saws

kderby

I purchased a 357 based on the lighter weight and the size of material I expected to cut.  A friend later told me, "A pro would never buy a saw with under 4 cubic inches of displacement."  I have since purchasd two 372xp and I love them.  When you lay a 372 on a twenty inch log and watch it glide through, the 357 seems like it is for whittling.  I think it is a safety issue as well.  I cut faster with the 372 so I spend less time bent over running a saw.  Zip, the cut is done, let the clean up begin!

If you can step up to the larger saw...You won't be disappointed.

John Mc

Quote from: kderby on February 28, 2009, 10:35:00 PM
I purchased a 357 based on the lighter weight and the size of material I expected to cut.  A friend later told me, "A pro would never buy a saw with under 4 cubic inches of displacement."

I'd guess that depends on what you're cutting. Out in your area, you probably regularly run into much larger trees, and on a more regular basis than we normally see here in the Northeast US. I see a fair number of pros whose main "go to saw" is a 357xp - some of them with a 16" bar. Of course, if they were regularly cutting 18-20" and up trees, they'd probably step up to something bigger, particularly in our slow-grown hardwoods. As it is, a lot of the local talent has found that saving the weight to be more of a safety/efficiency/fatigue benefit than shaving a bit off the cut time with a larger saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

PineNut

I am still leaning toward the 357. Yes there are some of the larger trees up to about 30" I find occasionally but I don't spend much time cutting anything over about 16". I figure that when comparing it to the 455 Rancher, it will be about 1 pound lighter and 1 hp more. That seems a good compromise for me.

Old_Hickory

PineNut  how would you like it to be about a pound lighter than  your 455  and have 2 more horsepower
gotta love those XP saws

SawTroll

Quote from: PineNut on March 01, 2009, 02:40:41 PM
I am still leaning toward the 357. Yes there are some of the larger trees up to about 30" I find occasionally but I don't spend much time cutting anything over about 16". I figure that when comparing it to the 455 Rancher, it will be about 1 pound lighter and 1 hp more. That seems a good compromise for me.

It is not a pound lighter - weight specs is very optimistic on the 357xp and 359.
Information collector.

Bill_G

357 is a great little saw, light plenty of power to cut with although not as fast as bigger saws. I find I would rather take a little longer in the cut and not lug a heavy saw to limb with. I guess it all depends how young you are . I run one with 20" bar and have not met a tree that scared it yet.

ladylake

A 357 will wiegh around 17.5 to 18# full of fuel with the bar and chain, a 372 will be a little over 20. That extra couple of pounds make a big difference as we get older. I find myself running my 50cc 15# saw way more than my 20# 70cc saw or my 18# 67cc saw. I did some timed cuts a while back.
50cc  = 23 seconds
67cc = 20
70cc= 19
That's not a huge difference to me and 5# sure is.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Meadows Miller

Gday

Pinenut Ive got a new 359 with a 18 bar about 20 months ago  ;) ;D and have only done about 1000 ton of pine falling/limbing with it since and about 100 cords of firewood and jus have to say I love it  ;D ;D 8) 8) I have also droped aheap of trees between 2 and 4' Dia  ;) I got it because it has the highest Rpm & Tourqe
heres some stats for pine falling over here to take into account  ;) ;D

Time spent Falling 20% Limbing 60% Bucking 15% Other fueling sharpening ect 5%
Just remember if the log isnt supporting the saw your carying it  ;) :D ;D ;)
Good luck Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!