iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring 2009

Started by bull, February 06, 2009, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Spring is only 42 days away, to get started thinking about the garden...Oh and cleaning upt the mess from the ice storm..... Much new planning, lost many trees much more available light so expansion looks promising.... new garden shed with patio and pergalla, small greenhouse The trees that were previously off limits are history now !!! need to plan new shade gardens as well... guess its tim to get busy......

isawlogs

Man ... are you optamistyck or what  :o    :D :D    I can really only start thinking of spring when march comes around ... Its way too early to call this over yet .  :'(

I quess 42 days will bring us into march  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

I was thinking the same thing as Marcel, and I live in Georgia :D  It's been 10oF or below every morning this week...Dark by 6 PM every night...Spring seems really far off right now :-\
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Sprucegum

When I walk home after work, at 5:00 PM, its not pitch dark anymore  8)  8)  8)

My garden spot is pure white and will stay that way for 90 days or more. The surrounding trees have grown too tall to let in much light so I only grow raspberries, strawberries, a couple radishes and a carrot.

Onthesauk

Got my seed catalog next to my recliner, leaf through it almost every night, so Spring can't be too far away.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

bull

Weather man say it will be 50 here tommorrow, I will be out loosening up snow banks to get them melting, I will start some plants around march 5, to be putting in cold frame march 20 an then into the ground around April 15 with row cover...... Early season vegetables will bring top dollar....
Its worth the gamble... I was two weeks late last year so Im going to get a jump on things this year!! Will have all my starter flats ready... with any luck I will be able to get a small greenhouse up also......  I have 5 acres to get planted !!!

bull

we have little if any frost under the snow, so hopefully that will help with an early start!!

isawlogs

If I was looking through your eyes Bull .. It sure would be a whore different thing knowing that you plant those acres early.   8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel....ummm whose eyes? With a whole lot different perspective. :D :D

Dad has his seeds today from Vesey's, I don't doubt they are already in soil by now. Containers of course, in the basement. Don't get dark here now until after 6 pm because of twilight, I think we gained about 1.25 hours in daylight since Dec 21st.

rise            set                daylight           daylight gain
Feb 6, 2009   7:38 AM       5:39 PM           10h 00m 49s         + 2m 45s       Saint John

Taken from HERE

We actually have a few more minutes of daylight up here. We will have gained another hour by month end.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

I spent my day getting ready for spring....I went and got a motor for my boat to go run trotlines with.  ;) I'll be gardening catfish shortly. DWM II you should have been home today, cause I was within 10 miles of you on my way to Baton Rouge.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tim L

We plant memorial day weekend.
Do the best you can and don't look back

bull

Marcel I just start early,wont be planting everything right off, start early and slow, add something every 7 days until I run out of tilled ground. Some years I get a second crop in on what I planted early... Its all up to mother nature and a whole lot of luck.... 

thecfarm

I started thinking about spring back in Dec when we got the first snow storm.  ;D  I want to build a small garden shed.Just big enough for a hoe,shovel,rake and a few small things we use when we are down at the garden.Maybe 2-3 feet square with some split wooden singles for a roof.Than next year at this time it will still be on my list to build.  :D
I did get quite a ways on making the garden bigger to bring the raspberries from across the road so I can plant them in the garden up by the house.We want to take care of them better.Seems like we forgot about them 1000 feet away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Raspberries are great, one of the few fruits you don't have to bend or climb to get at. :D Last year my crop was down because the winter had destroyed the fruit bearing canes with all the snow. This year I bet I won't be able to keep up. I take the dish pan down and a 2 litre container and pick and dump. And I just have a tiny patch.  :)

The neighbors have had a patch for 3 years now and I ain't seen a berry on them yet.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Just think in a little over four months the days will start getting shorter.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D At least then we will be on the warm side of the sun and not the cold side. :D :D

Jeff

It was below zero two days ago, and today, even with our big snow pack, its 48°. It would probably be in the 60's if not for the snow.  Looking out the windows, it looks like it is pouring as the snow on the roof melts. I've been looking for a good day to go ice fishing but this aint it. With the wind, and the rate of melt, a hole drilled in the lake would look like a flushing toilet.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

29F here now with a stiff southwest wind. Suppose to rain tomorrow.  :-X

Larry

While cleaning up ice storm damage today I noticed the sarvis is starting to bloom...which means the white bass are staging for the spawning run...which means the walleye are thinking about staging for the spawning run.

Gone fishing. ;D ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!