iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huricane Florence

Started by Lawg Dawg, September 07, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 15, 2018, 12:24:56 PM
Nativewolf, I'm sorry to report that my guys have rescued 27 folks from a special needs facility in Leland and 2 from from a location in Bolivia.
Man all the FEMA teams are doing great work and heaven knows that Leland needed all the help you could give it (well more than FEMA can do but that's besides the point).  Thanks to all you guys for doing your best.  Really something to disrupt lives to such an extent.
Ok, back to joking:  Maybe it is not over yet and the whole thing can still slide on out to sea.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Roxie on September 15, 2018, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on September 15, 2018, 08:56:03 AM

Well...if they bother saving anything in Leland I would say tax dollars ill used  :D.  Hopefully they'll move just up the road to Wilmington or Burgaw (home of the firewood kiln guys kilndirect) the rest of leland can float out with the debris and folks can just jump off the debris as it floats past wilmington out to the sea.  

Are you talking about human beings here?  Would those be the poor and disenfranchised that cannot afford to evacuate?
Oh, it is an old Wilmington joke, I have classmates from there, we're joking around about the same thing on Facebook as I type.  Actually today Leland is much more "developed" than it once was.  But if you wanted to drugs or to see incest in motion Leland was a good bet when I last lived in the area.  
Actually I suspect it is just the right spot for a FEMA team and I am very grateful that all these FEMA responders accept such disruption to their lives and go out to help others, it's not for the money and it's great that they are doing this. 

Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

The FEMA search and rescue task forces come from 28 states.  We are all assembled in the same way.  We each have 3 teams and are on a month to month rotation.  There are about 200 of us on the Task Force at any time.  It is not my month, but I would gladly be there if it were my month.  I'm not gonna lie, we get paid for deployments, but we all join it because we have a passion for serving and for doing the types of things that we do.  The task force is made up of many disciplines, including doctors, engineers, radio people, etc.  We all have to do very extensive training to get on the team and then we have to do training every quarter, plus take part in a mock deployment each year.  We are not paid for any of that.  Our employers(mostly fire departments) are very cooperative.  We fall under the same laws pertaining to military members who may be deployed.  They have to let us go without fear for losing our jobs.  

In short, we are happy to help in any way we can.  One of our members, a doctor, just passed away from cancer that was attributed to his response to ground zero in the weeks after 9/11.  That doesn't scare any of us.  I wish the best for my team and for all in harms way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Fortunately, there has not been the devastation like Gulf Shores experienced during Katrina- houses completely gone.   While I haven't seen photos of all of the coast, much of the damage appears to be boardwalks, piers, heavy beach erosion, flooding of beach towns and some roof damage.  I haven't seen a lot of beach homes damaged to the point they would be demolished.  Of course power is out along the SE coast of NC.  Officials have said it may be weeks before evacuees can return.  The biggest issue is sanitary sewer service - sewers won't work until pumps have power.  

The biggest story is the flooding inland.  Similar to or worse than Matthew in the coastal plain and Sandhills of NC.   Interstate 40 is closed near Warsaw due to flooding. 

NE South Carolina will have a tough time over the next several days and weeks as well.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 15, 2018, 08:09:05 PMnot been the devastation like Gulf Shores experienced during Katrina
Yes, thankfully this was not a storm that came across the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.  Hurricane Katrina came ashore as a Category 5 with 175 mph sustained winds.  We are 140 miles inland and still had hurricane force winds of 80 mph.

The being said, it was a faster moving storm and probably did not cause the massive flooding that this slow moving monster is doing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

This is not Florence related but we got 3 inches of rain last night in a short thunder storm . Almost a Florence . Be safe and all you people keep on helping where you can .GOD BLESS .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Southside

I have a friend who lives in Wilmington and had to stay behind to run the shelter at the school she runs.  Her exact words tonight were that Wilmington is "torn up" and the schools are closed for at least the next week.  One school / shelter flooded and had to be evacuated, still raining and the outer bands are hanging around.  It's a mess.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Buddy of mine just moved to wake forest NC.  Havent been able to reach him.
Praise The Lord

breederman

I have a son in law who is a lineman in Kentucky,  he was sent out on storm duty Friday but sent him home yesterday . I haven't spoken to him yet but my daughters fb post said less damage than expected. 
Together we got this !

tree-farmer

We are near Brevard NC.  Rain started last night and looks like about 1.5 inches of rain so far. Wind is brezzy but not strong yet. Next 24 hours will tell the tale. Its been very wet here this year, had 70+ inches of rain since first of year. This area lies on the edge of escarpment  where moisture comes up from down south and dumps on us. Classified as temperate rain forest.
I have preps made, generator, extra fuel, sharp chain saw, so will just ride it out and clean up mess afterward.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

florida

We should  be so lucky that all  hurricanes  were like this. As hurricanes go this one hasn't been much. I know eastern NC has had some flooding but all in all this has turned into  just a bad storm. My sister north of Charleston hardy got wet and my family south of Charleston got none.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

FLPINERAT

samandothers

Seen news 15 dead, Wilmington is flood bound.  Wind has not been as much an issue as water.

My brother had power back this evening near Sunset Beach.  I believe brdge opened this morning.

btulloh

Don P, it looks like you're gonna get some rain now.
HM126

samandothers

Yep, I noticed on AEP outage map that Galax area had quite a few power outages.

WV, looks like Hinton is gonna get wet!

Creek in our backyard was up 9 to 10' today.  No issues, but the second highest we've seen.  Opal was highest in the mid 90's.  We moved here 92.

kelLOGg

A week ago we were anticipating 80 mph winds and 10 - 20" rain then it turned south. We have not lost power (yet), got about 6 - 7" rain so far and no trees down. All the rain lucky people like me have gotten will flow southeast compounding their devastation. 

If you're not in its path no hurricane is very bad.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

We are getting nice breezes and steady slow rain. Nothing dangerous looking so far but if we get enough those hollers will fill and we may get flash flooding. I think our rivers are going to get some water from NC and such. 

We talked to a friend in Jacksonville NC last night and it sounds like a huge disaster there. She said the main road through town had flooded and some local communities may never recover.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

We did ok, winds were low and the rain not too bad. The main body blew out around 0400 this morning. Saw the sun for a few minutes today. I just got back from Galax, we've had no real problems that I've heard about. Creeks are at bankfull or a little out. Drove along the river road, the New is out of its banks, it cuts through the continental divide. It flows north to WV Sawmiller from here and then into the Kanawha, Ohio R and the Mississippi.

I'm sure y'all have heard about the Lumber River down in eastern NC, it brought to mind that General Sherman on his march into NC ran into it at flood stage, stopped him for several days. It typically is a 200 cfs river, its running at close to 15,000 cfs now. Dad is probably going to head down to Lumberton with their church group to help in the next few days.

And its pouring again. Michelle just got home from the western end of the county, near Mouth of Wilson where the New first enters from NC and Wilson creek comes in. Her boss lives on one of the low river roads, one of my clients is further up that road, its underwater and the power is out over there. All's good up here though.

Michelle took this 9/17, the New is on the other side of those trees, the road is in the foreground.

WV Sawmiller

The New River here below the Bluestone dam looked good about noon when I drove over it. It was reasonably full but not out of its banks here. We have been getting steady showers and periods of pretty heavy rain but no real toad stranglers. We even had patches of sun peep through. We will see how long it takes to get here from NC and hopefully it will give enough time to drain ahead of it. 

We have been getting breezes but no dangerous winds here. I got out a couple times a day and picked up a gallon or so of my small Fall peaches each time that are getting ripe. As a matter of fact I better stop and go peel and cut up a couple dozen more. When they are done falling I will make preserves out of them all at one time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Today was tornado day over our way.  One touched down south west of us a bit, then I got the watch notification on my cell that rotation was seen in a storm heading straight toward us, sure enough it came right over the farm and had some speed and rotation to it.  Hard to tell the height but my guess was between 1,000 and 3,000 ft the clouds were skipping by at 70-80 MPH while ground wind was under 10.  The north end of that cell stalled about 1/2 mile to the north and just sat there and swirled around back over the farm, she was pretty big which is probably why it looked like a slow swirl, luckily no funnel came down and it sort of dissipated.  

I know at least one other tornado one touched down to the north of us by about 25 miles, sadly that one was in a built up area, it destroyed a building and killed at least one person.  Hard to believe this storm is still having an impact.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Our place in  Floyd Va area faired well.  The area has a lot of flooding along the Little River.  Several roads are closed.
Today in Charlotte started clean up of all the debris. Just in time to prepare for yard seeding! 

btulloh

Quote from: Southside logger on September 17, 2018, 08:57:57 PMI know at least one other tornado one touched down to the north of us by about 25 miles, sadly that one was in a built up area, it destroyed a building and killed at least one person.  Hard to believe this storm is still having an impact. 

Only about three miles from me.  Most of the rotations passed just east or just to the west of me, so things were pretty good right here.  I think we got 5 or 6 inches of rain in a few hours though. Got standing water like I've rarely seen.  A new creek opened up across my main driveway.  Pretty good shape here compared to a lot of folks.  No complaints.

HM126

Roxie

We had a tornado five miles south in Fairhill, Maryland damage a barn yesterday, followed by a whopper of a thunderstorm at 2:30 in the morning. 
Say when

samandothers

I95 was closed in area from near Fayetteville to SC. I40 from Near Fayetteville to Wilmington.  DOT has open a route in Wilmington for emergency supplies. Hard to believe a town of over 100k people cut off.
 Hope guys out east N.C. are on high ground!

kelLOGg

It's pretty much over for me - 7.6" of rain, 40 mph winds, twigs and leaves on the ground - now I am waiting for the ground to dry out so I can put my mill back in the shed. Oh, poor me!. It's easy to lose perspective thinking it is over when so many downstream are suffering from flooding and will be for a long time. Some NC communities have not yet recovered from hurricane Floyd. I am thankful for those donating their time and resources in helping those impacted.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!