iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Damaged white oak veneer trees!!!!!!

Started by midwestlogger, July 21, 2013, 08:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestlogger

Guys i have been walking a patch of timber today and found wire in every white oak of any size at all! Who the heck would do such a thing? There is well over 100,000 dollars in damage on this track. Single strand of wire wrapped around the tree and twisted 20 or so times and hanging out of tree 6 to 8 inches. Been on it long enough that only the twisted part is sticking out and the wrap around tree is in the tree! Such a cowardly act!
2-JD 440's, 2-W14 Case Wheel Loaders, 518 CAT cable skidder, JD 540D cable skidder 2-390XP, 2-660, 1130 gear drive homelite

thecfarm

Maybe someone lost the land?? That is too bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shortlogger

Could it possibly be tree huggers trying to keep anyone from harvesting the trees ?
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

John Mc

Quote from: shortlogger on July 21, 2013, 11:44:41 PM
Could it possibly be tree huggers trying to keep anyone from harvesting the trees ?

Isn't there a chance the full wrap of wire around the tree would kill it eventually anyway? So much for "protecting" the tree.

A previous owner on our land installed some barbed wire fencing by wrapping the wire around the trees.  Once the trees grew into it, a number of them died. Not sure why he didn't just staple it, as he had in other areas.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

QuoteIsn't there a chance the full wrap of wire around the tree would kill it eventually anyway? So much for "protecting" the tree.

Tree huggers, or the enviro whacko ilk, work under the guise of "protecting" when in my opinion they just don't want others to have something nice, like veneer quality trees.

Not saying that is who (or why) wrapped wire around the trees, and maybe it was even some weird thought that the wire would fend off disease or bugs. Was it steel wire or copper?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sreigel

Sorry about your problem and unfortunately whether they stapled the wire to the WO, wrapped the fence around the WO or nailed it....  The tree is done for sawlogs.  Pulpwood possible if there isn't any metal in it above the fencing.  The metal will "Blue Stain" the wood a long way up the stem and any log scaler will see that and reject it, regardless how much you try and convience him you cut the metal out of it.  Depends on where you are as for the quality of your WO, but $100,000 worth of WO is a lot of volume.  But you know...  They still will produce acorns and nothing better to serve for wildlife's dinner!
CCFM is your forester!

midwestlogger

Steel wire is what was used. Easy 100,000 dollars in damage. 500 nice big white oak trees at 200 a tree is a very low figure. Alot of these trees have 330 bf or better in just the butt cut. This property boarders a state park so tree huggers could have seen the next door place being logged and got together to keep these from being cut? Must have been 15 to 20 years ago cause the wrap around the tree is not visable any more, just the twisted part hanging out. Glad they didnt cut the wire off at the trunk! By now none of the damage would be visable and that would have been a big hit on my pocket book!!! I have got pics of the trees and damage but im not good on the pc and cant figure out how to post them.
2-JD 440's, 2-W14 Case Wheel Loaders, 518 CAT cable skidder, JD 540D cable skidder 2-390XP, 2-660, 1130 gear drive homelite

OneWithWood

There are a number of trees on my property that have wire in them.  The wire was placed there to keep cattle or other livestock in.  Another real problem for a wood lot but at the time no one was thinking about the commercial value of the trees.  I use these white oak trees to make outdoor staircases and what not.  In hind site it is a shame but it is hard to put yourself in the shoes of a subsistence farmer who sees immediate cash flow in his livestock and not much in the trees.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Nemologger

I saw a bunch of walnut trees up on the Skunk river in Iowa several years ago that someone had drove rail road spikes into. It worked...they are still there.
Clean and Sober

ga jones

How far up. I cut lots of trees with barb wire in them. Most of the time three strands. The stain usually comes out in a foot or two.I have had stain go up to 20 feet or so but not from just wire. Usually from an insulator.I had one with an 8 foot sign post inside the tree.that ruined some chains.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!