iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacation pics from mi homeland. Switzerland

Started by teakwood, May 27, 2018, 11:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

For a good month i went visiting my family and friends back in Switzerland. some pics

one of the most beautiful places on earth according national geographic, Rest. Aescher/Wilkirchli in the swiss alps (very touristy though, they have wifi )

Do i miss hiking in the alps

A friend of mine work over 25years as a master mechanic for this firm. they have some serious toys
I was like a kid in a candy store

Another friend is a state forester, those woods were awesome too!

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

nativewolf

Interesting forwarder trailer/skidder combo.  Why did you take a hatchet to that poor tree?  
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Some serious swiss beavers!

There is a walking trail near that tree so the foresters won't bother the beavers because its an attraction for the people  

50 Acre Jim

Lucky you.  That is indeed a beautiful place. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

What was the excavator for?  Im seeing a super short stick and a concrete grabber bucket in forward shovel config.  ??   Wierd setup.  

Nice pics
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I can't decide what I like best,mountains,equipment,woods??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

78NHTFY

To add to what thecfarm wrote: It's all good, really good!!!  Takes me back: went to Swiss grade school in Versoix.  First language =  French.  Eh oui mon vieux!  Spent a lot of time as a kid, and later on my own, in the mountains.  Skied Verbier 55 years ago (way before it became Verbier touristique).  All the best, Rob.  
If you have time, you win....

quilbilly

What area were you in? I loved Switzerland and plan to go back. Been to Lucerne, Zurich, Interlaken, gimmelwald, ticino, and a few others.
a man is strongest on his knees

BargeMonkey

coxy

thanks for the pics     i will only show the toys to the other half not going to let her see the other pics or ill never here the end of why we don't go on vaca  ::)

teakwood

teakwood

Quote from: quilbilly on May 27, 2018, 09:22:52 PM
What area were you in? I loved Switzerland and plan to go back. Been to Lucerne, Zurich, Interlaken, gimmelwald, ticino, and a few others.
We live in the german speaking part, St. Gallen. that's east Switzerland, near Germany and Austria.  About a 20-30 min drive you get to Appenzell were the swiss alps start, it's called the Alpstein region. Lots and lots of well marked hiking trails, for every one. wide and flat ones for families with childrens around the lakes you can see in the pics and narrow and steep ones high up in the mountains for more adventures trips.
Lucerne is very touristy and has lots of beautiful buildings to see. Ticino is the italian speeking part in the south of Switzerland and has very beautiful rivers and lakes and it's warmer there.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the virtual tour.
Very nice pics.
I am afraid the only way I will get there is if there is another world war and i go seeking asylum
Is that Norway spruce in the one picture?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on May 27, 2018, 05:11:04 PM
What was the excavator for?  Im seeing a super short stick and a concrete grabber bucket in forward shovel config.  ??   Wierd setup.  

Nice pics
Eberhard is a very innovative, modern, leading, big excavation, construction and mining company. they do lots of government contracts on the airport and city train work (replacing worn out rails). innumerable machines and trucks in very specialized configurations (most of them self made by trial and error) 
For the 2 CAT 385 excavators, they own about 5 different boom and stick configurations including a 45m long reach for demolition work. Pic 10 shows the railroad track planer. they invented this tool for exactly one application and the previous 8 inferior models where also there laying around. they tried with a 70ton excavator but needed to upgrade to a 100ton because the small one was too light and had lack of traction. the short stick is because of the low hanging train power lines
Caterpillar 395F Eberhard - Zurich [08.07.17] - YouTube
Eberhard Cat 395 F UHD - YouTube
CAT 385 C LME Part 2 - YouTube

teakwood

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 28, 2018, 08:27:57 AMIs that Norway spruce in the one picture?

Yes they are, they called different there though. i had to ask mister google

they had some exceptional douglas firs (not in the pics)

Ed_K

I was blown away with the picts. Rita said she don't want to live it that house in the mountains, afraid the rocks would squish the house ;D :o.
Ed K

mike_belben

Wow.. I bet their fab shop is something else!
Praise The Lord

samandothers

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. 
 I was breathing hard and light headed/dizzy just looking at the hiking pictures.  What is the elevation on the trail near the lake?

olcowhand

Teakwood,
I'm with everyone else here; I really appreciate you sharing the beautiful scenery and your knowledge here.
Now that you're back, how's that MS261 CM running? I hope you like it as much as I like mine... (I bet you've got a lot more hours on yours, though)
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Riwaka

Swiss beavers    smiley_devilish    can grow up to 66lbs.
There appears to be population of less than 2000 individuals.
https://www.myswitzerland.com/en/Biber.html

Imagine making an processor with the Cat 395, probably a bit slow on the swing.

teakwood

Quote from: Riwaka on May 28, 2018, 04:55:33 PM
Swiss beavers    smiley_devilish    can grow up to 66lbs.
There appears to be population of less than 2000 individuals.
https://www.myswitzerland.com/en/Biber.html

Imagine making an processor with the Cat 395, probably a bit slow on the swing.
Thanks for that link. i didn't know there are so few of them. know i know why they're protected

teakwood

Quote from: samandothers on May 28, 2018, 12:04:22 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
I was breathing hard and light headed/dizzy just looking at the hiking pictures.  What is the elevation on the trail near the lake?
The lake is at 1150m over sea, we (mi younger brother, i in the middle and a good friend from collage at the left) were at 1800m

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on May 28, 2018, 09:48:47 AM
Wow.. I bet their fab shop is something else!
It's like fantasy land. If my dad and brother wouldn't have hauled me away from that excavator in the shop i would a have slept beside her on the shops floor. if it's not in you blood you won't understand.
they have 30 full time mechanics. the yellow roof crane is rated 10tons. they buy 60-70 new trucks every 4 years. 
my friend told me when he still worked there: 
A truck came into the shop at 5pm with a busted wheel bearing, some mechanics stayed until the truck was fixed, and they always changed both sides on the axle although just the one side was worn, just in case. if they needed a part the called the truck dealer and he had to drove around at 10-11pm until the needed part was found and brought to the shop. the truck had to work the other day at 7am no matter what!  
if the 385 doesn't bill 1500$/h she stays home. they stock one set of new tires for each loader, the excavator attachments area had at least 70 diff. units for all sizes, i bet there was about 3 millions laying around in hammers, sheers, grapples,...
i will try to find more pics

Thank You Sponsors!