iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wire strippers and Homeland Security

Started by Kansas, May 19, 2012, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Only thing I bought at the Richmond show that day was wire strippers. They seem to be neat as heck. I am not an electrician, so when I had dinner with Cedarman and the crew Friday night, I mentioned it. With only a carry on bag, really couldn't fit much else in there, although there was a nail gun I sure thought about trying. Turns out most at the table bought the wire strippers too. They had some powerful salesmen.

So I hit airport security at Richmond, and they pull me aside. Have me sit down. Go through the bag, and ask, what are these? I told them. Guy took one of them out of my bag. Some time later, he brought it back. They determined it was not a threat.

So much for my free trip to Guantanamo.

Slabs

Kid I worked with had his Leatherman confiscated at the Ft. Walton Beach, Fl. terminal several years ago.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Dan_Shade

Glad to hear you made it home, and had a good story to tell too!

It was nice seeing you yesterday, dinner was a hoot.  2 hours is a long ways off for me to go for dinner, but I'd definately be doing it if I had gotten the "stud muffin" receipt....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 19, 2012, 09:41:09 PM
Glad to hear you made it home, and had a good story to tell too!

It was nice seeing you yesterday, dinner was a hoot.  2 hours is a long ways off for me to go for dinner, but I'd definately be doing it if I had gotten the "stud muffin" receipt....

This story seems to insist that more is told...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kansas

A whole lot more to be told. But a certain cedar sawyer is apparently a "stud muffin".

Dan_Shade

we didn't swear to secrecy, but we should have...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

scsmith42

Tell us about this cool wire strippers.....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kansas

All the box says is Automatic Wire Stripper type B. Says, for all types of wire from 12-24 gauge. Self adjusting. No damage to the inner core. With cable cutter.

I'm guessing I paid with credit card, so when that bill comes in, I will look for a company name. One of the other guys may have gotten information on it or the company; I don't see anything in my bag of stuff collected from the show that shows I got anything.

scsmith42

Steve, thanks for the info.  Is it the type of stripper that when you squeeze the handles, it clamps down on the wire first, then a pair of strippers clamps down on the insulation, and then as you continue to squeeze it strips the insulation off?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pigman

I bought a pair of wire strippers at a woodworking show a few years back. The only thing that got stripped was my wallet. :( When the salesman was demonstrating the strippers, they worked perfectly. I think he had special wire with soft insulation. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kansas

After work tonight, a bunch of us were sitting around enjoying a beer.Everyone had seen them. My business partner remarked that "you can never have too many strippers". Then I remarked they tossed in a free stripper. Someone else remarked "Even better, a free stripper". At that point the conversation deteriorated.

This thing seems to have one set of clamps that grabs the wire, and a second set that clamps down over the insulation.

Thank You Sponsors!