iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roasting Red Peppers

Started by 21incher, September 02, 2015, 03:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I love roasted red peppers. Picked a some today and roasted 1 batch of lipstick peppers to can some roasted red pepper spread.

And a second batch of Jimmy Nardellos to make some samwiches with.

Been a great year for growing peppers around here with all the rain. food6
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

I love roasted peppers, feta cheese and crusty Italian bread.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

drobertson

they look great, love to stuff them with shredded deer and pepper jack too,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

That might be good, I cannot eat them raw. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 02, 2015, 08:42:15 PM
That might be good, I cannot eat them raw. ::)
They are great with a whole different flavor. I like the flavor they get from being charred on the grill. Just get your grill real hot, char the peppers on all sides, put the charred peppers in a brown paper bag with the top sealed and a couple of minutes later the skins peel right off. Then break them open and scrape out the seeds. I just put them in a jar in the fridge with a little olive oil that gives you about a week to use them up. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Weekend_Sawyer

Absolutely! and they freeze well too.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

coxy

they look good   but I cant eat them cooked they give me bad heart burn but if I eat them raw im fine go figure  ??? :-\

Magicman

I am just opposite.  Raw = Heartburn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on September 04, 2015, 01:52:40 PM
I am just opposite.  Raw = Heartburn.
Try a different type of pepper. I find that the raw bell peppers sometimes bother me. The Lipstick, Jimmy Nardello and Peperone de Cuneo types are extremely sweet and do not bother me either way. :)

21incher

Picked some Mini Bells today.

We like to freeze them and use them in the winter to make bite sized super sweet stuffed peppers. We just clean them, put them on cookie sheets in the freezer to flash freeze and then place them in zip lock bags a couple of hours later.

The roasted pepper spread came out amazing. It spreads like peanut butter.:)

coxy

the peppers and spread look good   did you grow all them    I cant grow peppers they only get the size of a half dollar then die or the plant never gets flowers >:(

thecfarm

coxy,try some black plastic next year. You're in just about the same climate as me and mine do super. Well,not this year,2 hails storms slowed them down,but getting some now. Most times I can pick them like tomatoes. Mine never did much until I started to use black plastic.
I wet down the ground a little,don't make it muddy,but make it wet.Lay down the black plastic. Weight down the edges with rocks,or whatever you want. You know me,I have rocks.   ;D  Make an "X" into the plastic and plant the peppers. I also put rocks between each plant to keep the plastic from blowing up and over the plants. Mine stocks get real woody and as big as my thumb. I put tomatoes cages around mine plants because they get so much fruit on them they fall over. I prefer the Ace peppers for the green ones. Wife makes some pepper jelly to sell and some other stuff. We have 4-5-6 diffeant kinds of peppers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: coxy on September 07, 2015, 07:45:49 AM
the peppers and spread look good   did you grow all them    I cant grow peppers they only get the size of a half dollar then die or the plant never gets flowers >:(

I usually plant a dozen plants of 8 different types of peppers each year. We start them from GMO free seed in late March. I used to have problems growing them because my soil does not drain well. Then I decided to build raised beds that I filled with compost over a base of gravel for drainage and the plants are all over 3 feet tall and have been  loaded with fruit for a couple of months now. Peppers need alot of water after they set fruit to get  decent peppers and full sun. Just had sausage and peppers on the grill tonight and will start dehydrating a batch tomorrow. :)

coxy

3ft tall plants :o  i don't think all 12 of mine would be as high as one of yours  :D :D :D :D :D :D       thecfarm will do the plastic next year as I don't want to do as much weeding anymore  ;D ;D

21incher

Quote from: coxy on September 08, 2015, 07:09:35 AM
3ft tall plants :o  i don't think all 12 of mine would be as high as one of yours  :D :D :D :D :D :D       thecfarm will do the plastic next year as I don't want to do as much weeding anymore  ;D ;D

I was wrong coxy. I took a picture today and that is a 4 foot ruler leaning against my Anaheim's and they are over 5 ft tall. The rest are over 3 ft.

Picked some bells today and vacuum packed them for the freezer.

And started dehydrating some to grind up into pepper powder that can add awesome flavor to anything.

This has been the year of the pepper for me. food6

WDH

Just so you know, there is a little spalt on your countertop  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

I went shopping yesterday and with this thread in mind I asked for paper instead of plastic.

The bagger being young had no idea how to pack them as he just threw the groceries in like you would a plastic sack. The Cashier who is a older Lady looked at me with a I don't know what to tell you look.

I ended up packing them myself the old fashioned way, even had the front end Manager watching. She told me that she had never seen it done that way before as there has been plastic as long as she can remember.

Now I have to wait for peppers to go on sale.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

Those paper bags are getting harder and harder to find. Around here you can get great deals on bushels of peppers at the Rochester Public Farmers Maket right after the first frost.  :)

coxy

Quote from: 21incher on September 08, 2015, 04:31:57 PM
Quote from: coxy on September 08, 2015, 07:09:35 AM

I was wrong coxy. I took a picture today and that is a 4 foot ruler leaning against my Anaheim's and they are over 5 ft tall. The rest are over 3 ft.

Picked some bells today and vacuum packed them for the freezer.

And started dehydrating some to grind up into pepper powder that can add awesome flavor to anything.

This has been the year of the pepper for me. food6
5ft tall pepper plants   :o (are you shur there pepper plants)  :D :D sorry had to say it  ;D  what are you putting in the soil

21incher

We have a local company that makes red worm compost and sells it by the yard. I built raised beds and filled them with their compost. That stuff is like rocket fuel for plants. I planted some sunflower seeds in it and wound up with 12 foot high plants with a 21 inch diameter flower. The plants are now on their 3rd set of flowers and peppers. :)

Thank You Sponsors!