iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band mill Router Plane

Started by Kbeitz, January 25, 2018, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I am really surprised after you put the bit in you didn't run it right then and there. I would not have been able to avoid doing that :)

Kbeitz

I want to make sure I smile the first time I run it... I put to much work into it to have it not work right the first time.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

catalina

KBeitz, good thing you don't live closer to me-Id have to stop in and introduce my self and then Id never get anything of mine done. I love gadgets, dohickies, whatchmacallits  and anything else custom made for a purpose-sometimes even if it doesn't have a purpose, lol. 

Kbeitz

You'r not that far away. Stop in...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

First cuts today.... I'm smiling... Video coming soon.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

8)
From the looks of the shadows, that wasn't a real flat slab to start with?  Was hard to tell before.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

that looks great. how bout some close ups of the finish?

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 15, 2018, 02:05:03 PM
8)
From the looks of the shadows, that wasn't a real flat slab to start with?  Was hard to tell before.
I was cutting at least 1/2" off at the high spots.  I took it all all with one pass. 1/2"to3/4" wide by 1/2" deep cut all at once. Take about 10 minutes to do one side of the slab posted in the picture.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

thats nice. now you going to get a sanding pad for it? :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on March 15, 2018, 03:43:53 PM
thats nice. now you going to get a sanding pad for it? :)
I make one...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Under cut worked so much better than over cut... Tried both.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Is that the same as up cut and down cut? 

Kbeitz

My best cut is when the bit digs in from the bottom of the cut. Not the top... I use the one on the left.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

ok that makes sense now. climb cutting is really hard on tooling to cause the router is being pulled through and depending on how much slop there is in the feed it could jamb the router taking to big of a bite. I have the same problem when milling steel. But with steel I do get a nicer finish climb cutting.

Kbeitz

Yep climb cutting can snap a bit real fast on my Bridgeport.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Nice job and a great project.

starmac

Kbeitze, how wide is your bit? The reason I ask is it looks like the bit on the woodwizz is 5 inches and even an optional 6 in bit. It looks like your outfit is built heavier than the factory one, do you think yours would handle a bit that wide?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

starmac

I have no experience in anything like this, so don't laugh at my question.

I see you are having to take off up to a 1/2 inch in the high spots, would it pay to cut your slabs a little bigger and resaw them after drying before planing? 

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on March 15, 2018, 07:05:43 PM
I have no experience in anything like this, so don't laugh at my question.

I see you are having to take off up to a 1/2 inch in the high spots, would it pay to cut your slabs a little bigger and resaw them after drying before planing?
I think it would help it I would stop using junkyard blades but that's not going to happen. The price is right.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on March 15, 2018, 07:01:24 PM
Kbeitze, how wide is your bit? The reason I ask is it looks like the bit on the woodwizz is 5 inches and even an optional 6 in bit. It looks like your outfit is built heavier than the factory one, do you think yours would handle a bit that wide?
My bit is 2-1/4" wide. If I buy the right cutter head I'm sure I could go bigger. The one I bought only cost $30.00. The 5" with the insert bits cost $502.05.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Unless you wind up with the need for speed, then I think your plan is outstanding with that kind of price.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 15, 2018, 08:42:31 PMThe 5" with the insert bits cost $502.05.

We all know you are just waiting to find one in the junk yard for a couple bucks...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

I am not sure about the junkyard bands. I know of sawyers that sets nd resharpens their brand new blades, claiming it is better, especially setting them. I don't know if sometimes a tooth gets off some in the packaging or if it is just an assembly line thing.
I have read several times that guys thought their blades cut better after they have sharpened them than they did when new.
I would think your junkyard blades would probably be as good as new once sharpened. I bet someone is trashing them after one use, instead of having them sharpened.

Thank You Sponsors!