iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flannel lined pants

Started by momark, December 05, 2013, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momark

Has anyone ever used the flannel-lined pants made by Arborwear(sold by Bailey's)? Are they plenty warm enough to wear without long underwear, etc/ And do they hold up well? Looks like a good product if they can be worn alone at 20 degrees and above. Thanks for any reviews.

beenthere

momark
Don't know where you are located. But everyone is a bit different to what is comfortable in cold weather.

I have a flannel-lined pair and have never worn them. Have been in the drawer now for at least 20 years.
Friend gave them to me as he ordered them too small (36 - 32). 

If I go out to deer hunt, I put on long underwear because I will be sitting all the time.

If I'm working, then I will have the chainsaw chaps over my Levi jeans and that is plenty warm down to below zero F. Don't go very often if the temps are below zero F. 

I bought some of the BadAss jeans from Bailey's but have not worn them either.. going on a couple years. Stick to my Levi's. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

I like mine.  But, I like the fleece lined one better.  Much warmer.

Bruce

chucker

with the recent cold snap were having here in the upper Midwest,i am wearing mine as the temp was only 4 above all day.... wont go with out them or my gaiters to keep out the wet snow! dry feet, warm lined pants and gaiters are a combo that's hard to beat! as far as wear ability time will tell as there only 2 weeks old ! wash easy and stays about the same as when new! out of 5 stars ===== I will go all 5*****!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

John Mc

Is the flannel cotton, or some other material?  If it's cotton, it's going to be pretty worthless for adding warmth if you sweat at all.  Once cotton gets damp, it doesn't insulate worth a darn, and it holds the moisture right against your skin, which suck the heat right out of you. (There's a reason that there's a saying among winter campers: "Cotton kills")

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

celliott

+1 to what John Mc said. If you're working outdoors and get it wet, it won't do you much good.
When cruising timber this late fall\early winter (October through November) I wore lightweight wool pants. Polypropylene longjohn baselayer. Kept me warm, and I would get wet, whether rain, or snow, or sweat.
I have flannel lined jeans, and don't often wear them. I'd rather wear a polypro baselayer under something else.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Oliver1655

While I agree in wet/moist conditions wool is hard to beat, I have fleece lined jeans I wear a lot for temperatures 30 - 50 degrees.  When I sweat it is generally the upper body which is layered so that is not a concern for me.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

plt

Layers are always warmer than bulk one piece.
Duty, the the sublimest word in our language.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E Lee.

DeerMeadowFarm

I have 2 pairs of fleece lined Cabela's jeans. I wear then to work at the plant when it's wicked cold. The windows/walls in my office are'nt very well insulated. Long johns are better for true cold outdoor work IMHO. Being able to tuck the long johns into my socks eliminates drafts that you still get with flannel/fleece lined jeans.

thecfarm

I wear a pair of the green so called wool pants,I think some wool and a bunch of man made stuff. Than a pair of long johns and I am warm. I don't have to be out in the weather,so I head for the house when it gets down to 10-12°. My upper body gets a bunch of layers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdkStihl

Flannel lined pants are a PITA to break in. Theyre just like a pair of work boots.
I'd much rather throw on my UnderArmor base layer and wear loose top layers.
J.Miller Photography

webgal

I have a pair of Berne's flannel lined pants that I drag out when I want to do some work in the shop. I'm pretty happy about them and they don't wick away any heat especially at the knees. My shop is uninsulated and the woodstove does take its time bringing things up to the low 60s in there while I'm working. I plan on dragging those lined ones out for some woodworking I need to do tomorrow in fact. We've had about 10 degree mornings of late.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

John Mc

Your body is always giving off moisture, even if you don't notice that your skin is wet (even during periods of inactivity, such as when sleeping). If your legs are staying dry, that just means that the moisture is evaporating faster than it is being produced.

If you are mostly stationary, or working in a shop, you may not have a problem with cotton.  If you are out hiking/hunting/cutting trees, odds are you are losing a lot more body heat than you need to if you are wearing cotton, especially if it's the layer closest to your skin.  You'll also notice it a lot more if you are engaged in stop-and-go activities (huffing in to your favorite hunting spot through tough brush or deep snow, then sitting motionless, takig a long hard ski run, then sitting on the chairlift back up the mountain).  It may not be an issue in many cases, but if you are out in a remote area or for a prolonged time in cold weather, it's something to be aware of.

As a kid, I used to go downhill skiing with just my blue jeans over a pair of the old cotton/wool blend duofold long underwear in -10 or -15˚F weather  (I coming in for a break and finding that even my thighs were just about completely numb). I don't know how I did it, but I know I sure can't get away with that now (even with the ski lodge conveniently near by for a quick warmup).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Windy_Acres

I spend most of the winter outside in FLEECE lined jeans, although I have probably 10 pairs of FLANNEL lined, the fleece is much warmer. I cant stand to wear them inside, and it needs to be at least freezing or colder to wear outside and work. Its pretty windy here, daily, so our 32 feels more like 20. If the wind didnt blow, I would probably not wear them until it got down to 20.

If it gets REALLY cold, like below zero F, I put on my insulated carhartt bibs over my fleece lined jeans.

As far a brands, I wear several different.

momark

After reading some of the responses I thought the fleece-lined pants did sound better. After a little research I found some from Duluth(out of Wis.) called fleece-lined fire hose pants which sounded warm and quite rugged. Is anyone familiar with these are any of Duluth's other products?

luvmexfood

I have also wondered about the lined jeans. I once bought a pair of 100% military surplus pants from I think it was sportsman guide or something like that. They were military surplus from an eastern europe country. Gave a little of nothing for them. They were warm and if it was raining water would bead up on them. Now have to remember what I did with them. They may be in a rubbermaid tote in an out building.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Stinny

My wife bought me a pair of lined pants years ago, and I had never worn them until about a month ago. It was about 15 degrees and windy, and I was just wandering down in the woods. They were very comfortable and warm. If I was working however, I can tell they'd be too warm and would get ruined quickly. Chaps and jeans with a Carhart coat are what I'll wear when stirring up a mess to roll around in. (My wife is convinced I've got a lot of dog & hog in me, with the blitz of dirt and debris I carry into the house sometimes.)
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

thecfarm

That reminds me,My wife wanted to wash my chaps when they got dirty.  ::)  Than I have certain sweat shirts I only wear outside.I can wear a sweat shirt for a month and it will look like it's a couple years old from being so dirty. And,yes,see does get her hands on them and they get washed quite often. She will let them soak over night and put in her homemade soap and try her darnest to get them things clean. Than she complains she can't get them clean. It's only ground in sawdust and ground in dirt from me picking up rocks and wood. I can't under stand why it don't come out.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stinny

Now that you mention it, after my stuff is "magically" cleaned up, there's nothing like getting my head down into those ole rotten stumps and mounds of sawdust/dirt... rolling on my back. Takes about 5 minutes to get those ole "clean" clothes just the way I like em again.  Guess I might have a bit of dog in me after all...
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

beenthere

Stinny, good one..  :D

I prefer to double layer, putting on a second un-lined layer of coveralls for outside and be able to shed it easy when coming back inside.
With the wood fire going and not wanting to change clothes, I'll stick to the un-lined jeans and add something outside. As mentioned, often it is just adding the chaps over the jeans.

If I am going out to a deer stand, then I go to the trouble of adding the long underwear first, then the jeans, and then likely the heavy wool pants. But takes forever to strip down when I come back in to the warmth inside.

One very comfortable outdoor outfit is my old army WWII thin wool jacket and pant set. A hand-me down and I find it very comfortable in the cold.
Reminds me, probably going to put those on shortly as a friend is having more trouble getting his old Ford 600 running and it is 6° outside where the tractor sits.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cheeves

Have a pair of L.L. Bean ones on right now!! Bought them at Saver's, a discount store here, for like $4!!
Was just out in the woodpile splitting wood, and believe me you need them up here on this hill this afternoon!!!   :laugh:

thecfarm

Those same pants would be about $15-20 around here at a store like that.  Good deal.  :)

SwampDonkey

I wear Stanfields under my work pants/shirt most of the time. But in the extreme stuff I dig out the wool pants. I've never warn out none of the wool items. Wool is warmer and tougher than cotton.  I could survive a night in a snow bank. 8) :D :D

I liked the little outpost up at Hyder, Alaska. Heavy wool pants for $20 bucks. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dusty Rhodes

Guess I am the only one who likes his flannel Jeans. IMO they have there place.  Have two pair, one pair are denim and the other canvas.   I wear Gaiters when in the snow with them so getting them wet trudging through snow doesn't happen.  Mind you I am probably not spending the day outside in them, maybe running the tractor for a few hours or moving some wood. If I am spending the day out there then I am in my long johns and quilted bibs. I also wear the flannel jeans when I am in the pole building puttering around,  no heat out there but its dry inside the building. Maybe I am just lazy, its easier to throw the flannel jeans on than to get into the long johns and put the bibs on.  Wearing long johns under regular jeans would not work for me.  My regular jeans are snug enough as it is. Trying to squeeze myself into them with long johns on wouldn't be pretty.   

Dusty Rhodes

Wool pants for $20.  Around here they would cost well over $100.  Wool is a luxury for me.  I love wool, but it usually is not in the budget for bigger clothing items.  Couple of my children chipped in a few Christmas's ago and bought me a wool vest. That sucker ran them about $120.  I have some wool sweaters and lots of wool socks but wool pants that have any heft too them would set me back a bit I would think. Tell me how I can order heavy wool pants for $20.  I will gladly pay for the shipping!:) 

Thank You Sponsors!