iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress?

Started by minesmoria, October 19, 2008, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

Here on the  pacific coast some people call yellow ceder, cypress, is yellow ceder willy a cypresss tree or whats up with the names like alaska yellow ceder.

beenthere

minesmoria

Whereabouts along the coast are you located?

A quote from a USDA bulletin says

Alaska-cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis), also known as Alaska yellow-cedar, yellow-cedar, Alaska cypress, and Nootka cypress, is an important timber species of northwestern America.

So you have a list to pick from.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

minesmoria

I am in wet prince rupert,  the wood sure is nice when it is split its seems to be way different then of red ceder, its very hard and will last longer then red as well.

There does not seem to be lots of this slowing growing tree out there.

Dodgy Loner

The tree most people know as the Alaska yellow-cedar is actually a member of the Cypress family (Cupressaceae).  The true cedars (such as cedar-of-Lebanon and deodar cedar) acre members of the Pine family (Pinaceae).  Common names can be confusing :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Yellow cypress are up in the mountains above 400 meters. Around Prince Rupert you have red cedar down on those coastal flats. On your neighboring Charlotte Islands I've seen some nice ones over 4 feet on the but, but mostly around 2 feet. A lot of those hills have been logged quite hard.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!