iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker travel pin

Started by Magicman, December 18, 2009, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

So, lately I've been having trouble unlatching the travel pin.  The Dang thing just wouldn't come down far enough to turn and lock.  I slightly bent the roll pin trying to get it to turn.   Well enough is enough.  Out comes the hammer and pin punch.  I drifted the two roll pins out, lifted the travel pin and spring out and sure 'nuff.....caked with sawdust.  A little scraping, a shot of lube, and back in it went.  Now I have a happy travel pin...... :)

The pin is out

All cleaned up, and going back home

A happy travel pin.....and owner..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pnyberg

sawdust?? where did that come from??
No longer milling

Magicman

Quote from: pnyberg on December 18, 2009, 09:25:52 PM
sawdust?? where did that come from?? 

Sawdust can/will get any and everywhere on a sawmill.  My mill is 11 years old.  During this time, fine dust has "sifted" down and gradually built up a layer which prevented the travel pin from "bottoming" out.

My son and I commented after making this minor repair.  The purpose of the sawmill is to make sawdust.....we just get a byproduct called lumber...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Ain't it the truth everytime I pull change out of my pocket I get sawdust and funny looks.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

That's one reason that I wear a leather welder's waist apron when sawing and handling lumber.  Keeps "most" of the sawdust out of my pockets......and the DW happy.  And as I've said before;

Happy Wife.....Happy Life.

Chuck White

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 19, 2009, 08:19:37 AM
Ain't it the truth everytime I pull change out of my pocket I get sawdust and funny looks.Frank C.

One day last summer we stopped at the local convenience store to get a soda.
I knew I had enough change in my pocket to pay for them, so I got a handful of whatever was in that pocked and laid it on the counter.
The lady said "musta been sawin' today" !  I said yup, and counted out the change!
She dusted the counter and said thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I just bought four new pair of jeans because my old ones have shrunk up so much they don't fit any more. (that's my story any way) They are the only clothes I own that doesn't have saw dust in the pockets.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ARKANSAWYER

If I am not making sawdust I am not making money.  I got sawdust in places we can not talk about on the FF.
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

red oak sawdust in the back of my shorts causes chaffing :oI know this because...... ::)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Sawyers are not 'sposed to have a "plumbers crack"...... :D

LeeB

We don't. We got a dust collector.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

stonebroke

Magicman
did you try rustreaper before you took it apart?

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: stonebroke on December 21, 2009, 03:47:22 AM
Magicman did you try rustreaper before you took it apart?  Stonebroke 

I had "hosed" it down with everything that I could find.  Nothing would have helped.  It had a layer of sawdust that had filtered down through it and was packed solid.  It was keeping the pin from bottoming out.

As easy as it was to fix, I wonder what took me so long.... :-[  Just drifted out two 1/8" roll pins, and lifted the whole assembly out.  Probably had 1/8' of compacted dust that was easily scraped out.

Thank You Sponsors!