iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

triple six CLARK

Started by donny hochstetler, December 04, 2009, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

I just bought a 666B clark cable skidder, it has a 6bt cummins,with 1500 hrs.sombody changed out the engine ,seems to have been done professionally, overall the skidder seems in good condition I had a couple questions.The clearance between the blade and the tire is maybe 3 inches ,can a person run chains.Also brakes ? it has brakes ,but i"m used to j.d.s and cats,do they hold well,are they dependable? I"m looking forward to putin it under load it looks like a tough little skidder

Frank H.

Hi Don,
Three inches of clearance is kinda tight, but you probably could run chains (I think you'd have to be careful of what style of chain you would buy.)    I'd be darn sure to keep 'em on really snug, and prevent their walking around.  That is not a lot of room, but there is no substitute for chains.  Just my opinion.

Frank

Mark K

My timberjack only has 4 or 5 inches between the blade and tires and I think the chains are 9/16 and they are bear paws. Keep them tight and cut all excess chain off so it doesnt catch. should be fine.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

nhlogga

3" between the tire and blade? What size tires are on it? As for the brakes what is on it? Clark used different types. They used a drum type system like timberjack used, they used disc brakes, and they used a enclosed wet type brake. The enclosed wet type worked really good (most common on D models and newer). the later model disc brakes worked pretty good as well. That's what i had on mine till the calipers froze up and  darn near burnt the machine up. Haven't fixed them yet due to engine problems. Heads up the calipers are expensive. About $1,200 from the closest dealer to me. Found them for a fraction of the cost in the North West. The drum brakes were OK. Never really dealt with them, but older loggers that did told me that they were'nt that great. Good luck with your skidder. Clark made a tough machine.

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

donny hochstetler

Istill don"t have the skidder it"s scheduled to be picked up in mo. on Monday should be here by tuesday. I know the three inches is tight for chains I"d like to run ice chains they are 23.1x26,s Also it has the old styl drum brake >:( hope they work ,if not, i'll have to drag my swampers, we shall see to get my skidder to stop :D We shall soon see.thanks for the replys

donny hochstetler

she was delivered today all the way from Mo. over 600 miles. now if she"ll just be sound we" be alright 8)

aksawyer

Have had several 666Bs and have worked on alot more.Resons not to put chains on front.1-chains will rub engine covers with sticks and limbs(seen them even pulled off or bent baddly).2-as you are looking back at the log you are backing too next,the chains can and will pick up limbs and tree tops and shove them in the cab with you and hopefully not through you. 3-they climb much better with the chains on the rear axle.The larger machines have a brake at the back of the tranny output to the winch,and a brake at the mid mount bearing.most of the 666s had just the first.27 below tonite in Fairbanks      good luck with her it looks like a very nice B mobel

Thank You Sponsors!