iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

safety chains

Started by dennishiip, November 17, 2013, 04:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennishiip

I tried out my brand new Husky 450 Rancher yesterday.  I was pleased with the saw. Powerful enough and it cut good. After about a half hour, it suddenly stopped cutting chips and was making sawdust. I did not hit the dirt. I sharpened the chain with no improvement noted.  Today I filed down the rakers a little and that improved it somewhat. Is this a SAFETY CHAIN(new saw) problem. On my other saw, I soon replaced the safety chain because it also cut poorly. Am I correct here, or imagining it.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Can't tell for sure, but the safety chain sharpened should still cut good.

Without seeing the chain, can't say why but would suspect nicked it or rocked it. But that is just a guess.

Some quality pics would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Something going on here. The "safety chain" may not be the most aggressive and fastest cutting, but as you say, it cut OK at first. You should be able to get it to cut at least that well again by sharpening it, and it should continue to cut "OK" until the cutters are pretty much worn away. Also, the rakers shouldn't have needed touching for quite some time, until a significant chunk of the cutter is filed away (reducing it's height).

I'm thinking you did hit something. Might not have been the dirt, but maybe a nail or rock embedded in the wood? That can do a number on your chain instantly, and would account for it suddenly ceasing to cut. I know you have sharpened, but what do the cutters actually look like? If they have hit something solid they can be rounded over or chipped on the top plate and hook area. In that case you need to file them back to clean metal again, removing all that damaged area. Have a look with a magnifying glass, if you can see a shiny rounded over area on the front top of the cutter, it's not sharp.

Lowering the rakers would make the chain more aggressive, and mask the dull cutters a bit, but it still sounds like they aren't truly sharp?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Philbert

As above. While some people have opinions on its performance, it should not change suddenly unless you hit something.

Would have to see the chain to check out the sharpening part of your post.

Philbert

Thank You Sponsors!