iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotted Cedar

Started by REGULAR GUY, October 16, 2013, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

I cut some Cedar here in So. East Mo. and some of the center has some rot. I was planning on using it for window and door trim (2x4's). I am told that it's still good lumber cuz once it's cut it won't spread. I am at a stand still,  use or not? What do ya'll think?     RegulaR GUY

mesquite buckeye

As long as it stays dry the rot won't advance. In a wet, or frequently gets wet location, don't bet on it. Heart rotters are very patient beasts, and take advantage of any opportunity. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

In a living tree there is a much higher moisture level, and this allows even durable wood like cedar to gradually rot out. But once you get the still solid wood sawn and dry, it will be normal durable cedar.  So saw it, and just discard the punky looking parts. The rest will be fine.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

My cedar on my land in Maine is that way. But mine might be a foot across and I can shove my arm up into the hole in the butt log. takes at least 8 feet to use the whole log. hard to get many 2x4's from a tree. I built a porch out of it. I had a hard time to get 4x4 8 feet long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!