iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leaning tree

Started by trapper, May 18, 2019, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Will either of these ash make decent boards or will there be too much stress to dry straight? 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

John Bartley

If you mark the "lean" and cut your boards so that the width is across (parallel to it) the lean and your thickness is perpendicular to it, you have a good chance of getting some boards.  The boards will bend in the direction of the stress and then you'll cut it out when you go to use them.

That said .... with so much nice straight ash dying from the ash borer ... why choose to cut these?

cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Autocar

Times two what John said but saw them where she will bow and sell sled runners  :D
Bill

trapper

If the wind would take the one  on the right the direction it is leaning it would land on my pole barn.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Southside

Being an ash and a leaner you had better bore cut it or it for sure will barberchair.  That being said, I am not sure how you are going to change the direction of that lean and not have it fall onto your barn.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Put a good rope up in the tree as high as you can, hook it to a tractor, truck, etc and put some good stretch in the rope and you should be able to tip that tree straight back as you have pictured!

I agree with John Bartley, you should get some decent boards out of that tree!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tmbrcruiser

Sorry to disagree but ash will split very easily. Way to dangerous to pull that tree. Have the top removed by someone with a bucket truck, then drop the log. Make sure the heart is cut before the back cut is started. Please be careful, you only have to make one mistake to be your last.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

SawyerTed

If a building is involved I would have a tree service put it on the ground. No clean up, I'd do that myself.  I have a feeling my insurance wouldn't be interested in repairing the barn knowing I was on the chainsaw if something went wrong.  The cost of the tree service would be less expensive than the repair of the barn if I figure in lost time in addition to the time and material for repair.  Plus the tree service is insured for damage.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Andries

The last two posts were bang on. 
Bucket truck, top down removal, and do the clean up yourself.
Maximum safety plus lower cost = the best combination. 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Bartley

I can't see the right hand side of the picture that shows the barn and the rest of the tree, so I can't say for sure whether I'd attempt the felling.   If it could be swung without risk to life or limb and for sure wouldn't touch the barn I might try it.  A good fellers rope with a snatch block at ninety degrees and a solid pull by a good tractor might do it safely ..... but I'd have to see it in person.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Southside

It has been said here already,  but I am going to say it a bit stronger so the OP does not get himself into a serious jam. This is an Ash and a leaner. You pull on it with a rope to try and force it over and it will explode. You would have better luck putting the pin back into a grenade after the spoon has flown off. 

Get a bucket man to drop the top off then bore cut the bottom once it is clear of the pole barn. That is the only safe option in this scenario which does not endanger the building or the guy on the saw. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!