iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Another Day in the WOODS!!

Started by thatchipperguy, February 20, 2016, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatchipperguy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZUdw4yJEo

Friday night..... trying get home early......3 trucks waiting to get loaded and this happens!  Why is it when you want to bust out early something always happens?

beenthere

That is a tough place to work for sure. As you say, gotta do it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thatchipperguy

No one ever said chipping was easy!!!

Logger RK

We know the feeling. After doing a load with one left to finish current job,and temps in the high 30's,and a frozen ground landing.Son discovers his top feed roller has a bad bearing. Has a spare,but can't find it. Parts run Monday it looks. At least there calling for below freezing temps again. It was raining today.

thatchipperguy

Nothing worse than when you can't find parts you know you have! It was warm in central Michigan today.

Corley5

I'm tired of wrenching on logging equipment  :(  Really tired of it  :-\  I was going through my supply of 3/4 bar and chain parts for my Fabtek today.  I need to fix some chains.  I've got way too many that need a link or two spun in to make a good chain but I really don't like breaking and spinning 3/4 chain.  Anyway I found two chains that only needed a grind and as a bonus I found a brand new one  8) 8) 8)  So I've got three chains again.  I also found a bag of presets and three tips that I'd forgotten about  8)  Then we blew hose on top of the cab on the Franklin.  Needed a ladder to get up there and of course everything is covered in oil.  Got the hoses made up and ran out of daylight and patience ;) :)  There's always tomorrow.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

thatchipperguy, used to just about bathe in Hydro oil at O'neals in Clare (before you were born) and then Billsby's over a 20 year period between the mills and debarkers and such Never bothered me until the last couple years I was there. Seems you can grow into allergies and that is just what happened to me from over exposure.  If I get it on me now, I start getting red like a sunburn from the contact allergy I now have to it. Luckily, my computers don't ever blow hydraulic hoses so I've been safe for the last ten years since I left the sawbooth.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thatchipperguy

The computer won't spit hydraulic oil on you......but the wife gets upset when I'm on it to long! Lol I'm glad she doesn't get on here....... 8)

Logger RK

Ken

Breakdowns seem to come in spurts on my operation.  We lost some time late last week to hose and wiring issues.  Fortunately the downtime was at the same time as the coldest temps this winter to I parked things for a couple days.  The past few days went really well.  Putting the harvester on night shifts as well this week to hopefully get this job finished before break up. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thatchipperguy

Break up is coming quick!! County's around us are on...the big push is on!

David-L

Nice vid. Had to use 4wd to get to the landing today for some Sunday wrench turning. Not Good.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Logger RK

In your state are chip's considered raw forest products? Like round wood is here. In Wi they are not. Meaning the 98,000 frozen road limits for 5 axle chip rig's don't apply. 5 axle one's you can buy a 90,000 permit. If it's 5 axle with round wood you can haul 98 with no permits. Which is good on log side of the job,but it'd be nice on chip side if it was the same.

thatchipperguy

We have 53ft chip vans with 7 axles. They have to be on class A roads. We have two  flail chippers and they can't be moved once weight restrictions are on. Our new flail is 53ft long and weighs 60 tons on 3 axles. Always something fighting you in the wood business.

lumberjack48

When we were running two trucks, two skidders and a faller buncher, there were many nights i worked on equipment, so we could run in the morning. When your self employed your on duty 24/7 ;D  I had many hydraulic oil baths, diesel fuel and antifreeze to. I think gear lube is the worst, the smell is sickening.
You have to be a special bred to be a logger 8)             
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Jeff

In the Frozen Northwoods, it is far different than in warmer locations when it comes to break downs. Things are not better left until morning. Things get worse. A stuck log truck can become a "frozen in might as well be concrete" log truck". Everything gets works as the temps drop, and if you wait until morning or the next day, hard jobs become next to impossible.   Kinda reminds me the old story I put on here years about "Nemo". When one of the guys running Billsby's skidder, working up at Mid Forest Lodge, broke through the ice on a beaver pond, and didn't tell anyone until the next morning.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,217.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

James Arsenault

I've come to notice that if I'm going to have a breakdown for which parts need to be ordered, the breakdown will always happen late Friday afternoon prior to a long holiday weekend.

I wish I could say this was a joke, but it's actually been true on several occasions.

Corley5

Clean out tracks every night  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Logger RK

Another,not good time for a break down is,in the summer when the Tent Worm's are at there  peak. However many years that is. But last time it's was bad around my place.They covered the tires on everything. Rubber must be easier then steel to climb for them?And usually a machine will break down that needs to be worked on underneath. :(l They go for Aspen leaf's around here. Usually after leafs just come out they strip them bare. On a 40 of mostly Aspen I  was on last time they were around,you could pick out every maple on the job almost. Must not like them much. Till every Aspen leaf was gone,then over night the maples leafs were all gone also. Don't think they can live off of clover though. They come to a clover field & striped it bare,but only about 50 feet in the field & they stopped.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!