iDRY Vacuum Kilns

New section need on the Forum - Foods

Started by Bibbyman, March 02, 2005, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I think with the constant chatter about foods on the Forum.  We need another whole section just for food topics.

Suggested categoryies:  Meets,  Drink, breads, soups,etc.

Grits would surely be a candidate for a category by itself. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

tnlogger

gene

L. Wakefield

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

redpowerd

backstraps, doe backstraps for a category
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Bibbyman

Here is Pro-Sawyer Mary's Alabama Biscuit recipe that was handed down from her mother. (I don't know where Mary's mother got it as I don't think she'd ever ben in Alabama.)

The biscuits are "low fat" and light as a feather so you can eat plenty of them.
Warm ....

1 Cup milk
1 Tablespoon shortening
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ Teaspoon of salt

Add ...
2 Cups flour
2 Teaspoons baking powder

Let rest...

Kneed lightly about 20 times on lightly floured bread board
Pat out and cut
Let rise until double
Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees

Can also be used for cinnamon rolls or pizza dough, etc. and goes well with doe backstraps!

Sawing since '94

Stephen_Wiley

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 02, 2005, 03:04:30 PM

Suggested categoryies:  Meets,

Hey Bibby,  we already have a topic for places to "Meets"  :D  :D

Might be nice to talk about 'Meats" however !  :D ;D

Must be all them grits your eating, makes it hard to spell  :)  ;)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Bibbyman

Steven...  You when the prise.  I bett no one elce nooted that I used the rong ward.. ;)
Sawing since '94

Stephen_Wiley

:) Does that mean Pro Sawyer Mary is making me a batch -O- them biscuits !!!!  8)

Stephen_Wiley

Tom

This whole Forum is a Food Topic. :D :D

We have a section on recipes and food in the old knowledge base.  One of these days that stuff will find its way back and there will be a food place again.

Organization and categorization is a good thing if not over done. We have a lot of fun talking about food all over the forum.  Looks to me it would be a shame to make everybody go off to a special room to talk about it.

Lots of folks live by "A place for everything and everything in its place".  I have a relative who thinks that way.  Here whole house is static.  She cringes if you head for the living room.  The front door is for special occasions.  The house is entered through the back and you go to the kitchen where you sit at the table. and don't touch anything.

I'll bet, if we categorized everything we talk about here, the list would be pages long   :D

I don't want anymore cubbyholes. ;D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kcpalmer

Bibbyman thanks you for telling the recipe for biscuits.  Thanks to Pro-Sawyer Mary for the recipe.  Charles will actually eat my biscuits now thanks to this recipe.  I have not been fixin biscuits worth a hoot for 23 years.  They are really good.  What Charles said about my biscuits not being good is true  what is really bad the dogs would not even eat them just bury them   some day somebody will be moving dirt and find buried biscuits :D :D.  I never put the baking powder in my biscuits before and it makes a lot of difference  Thank you!  Thank you!  Kim

Roxie

Kim it's good ta see ya!   :)
It took me what seemed like forever to learn to make biscuits that were actually edible.   They ended up being used as spacers for a concrete project.   :D
The other thing that seemed hard to me early on, was brown gravy from pan drippings.  It was so bad that I lied when asked what was in the pan..... I said, "paper mache for a craft project"....and he believed me!   :D
Say when

asy

I'm gonna give them a go!

No idea what to do with them once they are made...   But hey!

I've PM'd bibbyman with questions as to what 'shortening' is etc...  I suspect its sorta like lard?

Have printed the recipe out, now I just have to go shopping to buy all the stuff.

Oh, And, figure out how they are eaten, I have heard people eating them for breakfast, and with gravy, etc...  I guess they are ambidextrous?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Roxie

Asy, since you are a beginning biscuit maker (or BBM).....I recommend that you start with the most basic way that biscuit's are eaten.  You bake them, and while they are still warm,  split them open and put some butter and a spoon of jelly in them.  You can eat them for breakfast or with any meal if you just do the butter and jelly.  We'll graduate you after that to the sausage gravy application.   ;)
Say when

asy

hehehe Thanks for that Roxie!

I am thinking that these sound SUSPICIOUSLY like what we call SCONES...

http://www.joyofbaking.com/SconesIntroduction.html

And here's a heap of differrent scone recipes:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/breadscone/breadscone.html

I will make Mary's Biscuits in the next few days. Gotta go shopping first...

And I avoid shopping at all costs...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

Over in Maine, I've seen them called scones in the stores.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paschale

I agree with Tom.  I think the food comments just pop up from time to time, anyplace and anywhere, and it's kinda fun.  If we were to have just a food topic, well, then I don't think people would be as comfortable just dropping in a mention of food that comes to mind, and then feel like they had to pop it over in the food section.  I think we'd find much less mention of food than we do now.  I'm all about the food, let like Tom said...I like the number of cubbyholes we have already.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

fstedy

8) I agree with Tom and Paschale  on dedicated food topics. But with this hungry bunch an area for recipes would be great and easy to access. We have such a wide variety of  smiley_chef_hat smiley_chef_hat smiley_chef_hat cooking talent  smiley_chef_hat smiley_chef_hat smiley_chef_hat it would be a shame to let it go to waste. 
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

tnlogger

fstedy i think you can go in the forum extras at the top right on the page.
and there is a section on  food you can submit a recipe  8)

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?Food!
gene

sawguy21

Hot scones with butter and jam. OH YEAH :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Homemade strawberry jam is the best!  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I prefer strawberry preserves. Just had some yesterday on some fresh made whole wheat biscuits. mmmm mmm ;)

Ernie

Anyone want some prairie oysters, I cut a pile of them out yesterday.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Roxie

Quote from: Ernie on April 16, 2005, 05:00:56 PM
Anyone want some prairie oysters, I cut a pile of them out yesterday.

Ernie
:D :D
You have my complete sympathy!  Cowboy Bob is dehorning today too, he did the bull/steer conversion last week!   :)
Say when

Patty

I remember dehorning the cows when I was a kid. What a nasty job; especially on the older cows. I have vivid memories of looking down into the head of the cows through the hole that was left.  :o Yep, life on the farm... :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

tnlogger

:D :D :D :D :D :D  and you have to remember to do the back end on the soon to be steers before the horns
or ya might get kicked too  ;D
gene

Ernie

When I am hunkered down behind a soon to be steer with my knife at the ready, I really appreciate Alf's strength.. He pulls the tail up over the beasts back and it will never kick.  So far :D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first