iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bowl turner question

Started by xlogger, June 14, 2019, 07:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I mainly get larger logs like ambrosia maple to make live edge slabs and cut the top waste slab off thicker than someone cutting lumber. Lots of this slabs have nice marking in them. I was thinking how I might get turning blanks out of them. Is this something that might interest a turner? Not sure how the best way to cut them. Also do turner want green wood or KD and what would be an average price be? 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GAB

xlogger:
I have sawed some logs for bowl blanks and this is the way I do it.
Since I have never turned a bowl I go by what some turners have told me they wanted.
First: load the log and adjust it so the top is parallel with the bed and take a cut to get a flat spot*.
Second: Rotate the log 180° and repeat step 1.
Third: center the pith to the bed.
Fourth: saw just above the pith and then saw just below the pith.
Fifth: remove the perfectly quarter sawn center board and place where you can watch it misbehave.
Sixth: Saw the upper and lower halves into pieces 2" longer than they are wide.
Seventh: Coat them real good twice with anchor seal.
Eighth: For me - consign them to a specialty wood supplier.
* the flat spot makes it easier to saw them round on a band saw.  It does not need to be very wide.

Most of the turners I have dealt with prefer green wood that they rough turn then partially dry and then turn again and continue drying.  Depending on the turner some blanks may get placed on the lathe numerous times.

Can't help you on selling price as to many variables to consider when pricing.

My experience with tuners is that generally they want it for nothing and expect you to deliver it also.
Hope this helps you and good luck,
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

low_48

I've found woodturners to be extremely "frugal". The only place they aren't, is in big metropolitan areas where tree arborists won't want to take time to let a hobby guy hang around, and also not interested in loading a big cookie in the back of a compact SUV. Around me, almost no one will buy wood to turn and more than half seem to drive a pickup. It would be extremely hard to know what to cut it to, and each person that shows up will likely want it a custom size. I much prefer green wood. You might try Facebook marketplace, or Craigslist. On Craigslist, you'll see how much free wood shows up as people can't get rid of trunks left by the Uncle who came buy and dropped the dead tree.

xlogger

In the past I've told turners I don't have anything, the couple times they have come out they do hang around too long looking for something free. I had one go to my firewood pile and I told him just to stay away. I looked at  this slabs I cut the other day and figured they would like them but I'm not in the business in giving things away and spending much time with them. Probably not a good idea trying to make $15-20 with them and could cut a $100 of wood in the mean time. Maybe I'll hold on to the slabs and maybe whole sale them.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

doc henderson

I will start by I am a hobbyist.  My turner buddy takes 1/4 inch thick scraps off my floor before it goes into a barrel to go to the fire pit.  I think if they are doing solid stuff and specify wood type and size, MC, that you should charge a fair price, and I would base it on the value of the wood otherwise and how much time it takes.  This works for me as these are scraps I would burn, not worth anything to me, and were made in my process of woodworking.  My Neighbor then turns bowls for me, gives a hand unloading logs, ect.   If it is unique like a burl, or hard to find wood, they should pay.  if it is common they can find it themselves.  My buddy Jimmy makes segmented bowls.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

I quit fooling with the bowl turners.  They don't like to pay money, just scrounge around. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Jimmy just came by for me to mark some bowls.  i make coasters from thin maple and the figured stuff tends to warp and wrinkle.  he uses it.  he will now make bowls for my wife's mother and aunt from the spalted oak tree that stood in the front of their childhood home.  they are twins and i think will be about 150 this july.  i do not think they read this forum.   :D  sent wood for those bowls and have pics of his latest segmented bowls.  Again, i am a hobbyist so it is not about the money for me.  cheers.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

low_48

These are the style of bowls I make most often, but hardly ever this big. This was only part of a big order from a patron. Paid for my Oneway 2436 with large outboard extension. All fresh cut soft maple, some with a little ambrosia marking. All 18" diameter.

Thank You Sponsors!