iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer claw turner question

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 22, 2013, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Has anyone added a second hydraulic cylinder in place of the springs on the WM claw?  Those pineywoods turner/clamps are pretty slick. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

I haven't seen it done. I'm personally trying to figure out if I can turn my 40 into a 50. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all better leave well enough alone and focus on sawing lumber.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I don't exactly understand why you would want to add another hydraulic cyl to the turner unless it's to hold the claw out so you could engage a log a little higher up on the side instead of near the bottom.

MagicMan put a rope on his turner to hold it out manually until the turner was higher up.

Seems to work quite well for him!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I never have seen the need for an extra cylinder,  I have found that the clamp will turn faster once a decent flat has been made.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rmack

I have run into issues with big logs with a lot of sweep, but for the most part mine works pretty good now that I have figured out how to use it in conjunction with the dual plane clamp.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 22, 2013, 07:41:54 PM
I haven't seen it done. I'm personally trying to figure out if I can turn my 40 into a 50. :D
Easy.  Just feed it some grits.  (Okay.  I'll duck now...)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pineywoods

If you look at the pineywoods turner/clamp, you will see that it is very similar to the woodmizer claw turner, except it has a hydraulic cylinder where the mizer has a couple of springs. It indeed does make a pretty decent clamp, but it's nowhere near as nice as the mizer. There are some limitations that aren't present on the mizer. The big advantage is cost and adaptability to just about any mill. If I had one of the old wm flap type clamps, I'd replace the springs on the claw turner with a hydraulic cylinder.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

It works for me on odd shaped logs, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

My system's like Magicman's, only I don't have the fancy hook (yet) ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

Once you get the hang of it you can turn a log with a flat side lots faster with the clamp then you can with the turner. I even use the clamp on 40' logs lots of times.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on October 23, 2013, 04:04:03 AM
Once you get the hang of it you can turn a log with a flat side lots faster with the clamp then you can with the turner. I even use the clamp on 40' logs lots of times.

You can also use the clamp to reverse roll your log. It does it pretty quick.
Good point Jake.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

Quote from: nomad on October 22, 2013, 08:47:46 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 22, 2013, 07:41:54 PM
Easy.  Just feed it some grits.  (Okay.  I'll duck now...)
:D :D :D :D :D Good one-liner!

....also... Thanks Magicman and Brucer for the rope tip!
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Finn1903

Not sure how much more of an improvement adding a hydraulic cylinder in place of the springs will give.  For me, that would only work less than 5% of the time. 

Now I have wrestled with the claw turner.  One time I was milling a giant cedar for a guy, he didn't exactly cut all the limbs flush and when I went to turn that monster I could not get the claw to grip the log soon enough before it extended. I could only partially roll the log and when I released the claw the log back rolled and launched off the mill.  Pretty scarry, glad no one was standing on the side of the mill.   

My vote would be to add a chain turner.  The claw is better then a cant hook, but a chain turner would be the best.  MM's rope idea looks like an easy upgrade, going to try that one.

Like everyone said, I too use the clamp once I have 3 sides opened on the log.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

rmack

this is the most trouble I ever had with a log, probably less than 10 hours on the mill or the sawyer. wouldn't you know, caught it for posterity.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2CYrhkOXE
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

GDinMaine

Quote from: rmack on October 23, 2013, 10:35:37 AM
this is the most trouble I ever had with a log, probably less than 10 hours on the mill or the sawyer. wouldn't you know, caught it for posterity.  :D

A cant hook would have solved that problem in 10 seconds.  Sometimes we over-complicate things.  I have been in the same shoes.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

rmack

Quote from: GDinMaine on October 23, 2013, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: rmack on October 23, 2013, 10:35:37 AM

A cant hook would have solved that problem in 10 seconds.  Sometimes we over-complicate things.  I have been in the same shoes.

I was determined to do it just using the mill, I was vaguely cognizant of murphy's law at the time, much more in retrospect. I do have a 4' logrite, but I very rarely use the way I am setup now... my wooden handled hookaroon on the other hand... rarely start the mill without it.  :)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Finn1903

Quote from: rmack on October 23, 2013, 11:43:23 AM

I was determined to do it just using the mill, I was vaguely cognizant of murphy's law at the time, much more in retrospect. I do have a 4' logrite, but I very rarely use the way I am setup now... my wooden handled hookaroon on the other hand... rarely start the mill without it.  :)

I grab the hookaroon more then I grab my logrite.  Those things are just the best around the mill or around the firewood pile.  Lets just say the hookaroon is great to have around when working with large chucks of wood.

Your logs looks as ugly as the cedar I had fly off the mill.  Wish I had my camera set up to catch that one. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Finn1903 on October 23, 2013, 01:46:28 PM
Quote from: rmack on October 23, 2013, 11:43:23 AM

I grab the hookaroon more then I grab my logrite.  Those things are just the best around the mill or around the firewood pile.  Lets just say the hookaroon is great to have around when working with large chucks of wood.

Your logs looks as ugly as the cedar I had fly off the mill.  Wish I had my camera set up to catch that one.

Of course, you could buy a Logrite Hookaroon and have the best of both worlds!

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!