Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Quote from: teakwood on January 31, 2018, 06:30:31 AM
Mike, you build your own chains!? :o :o

Wow! thats ingenious smiley_thumbsup

Trust me, it was a fool's errand, like most things in my life! 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: firefighterontheside on January 30, 2018, 05:36:42 PM
A chain connected to each end goes over a farm jack and lifts log up level with the mill and then I can roll it on with a hook..

Thats a cheap, elegant solution id not considered, i like it. 

Be careful with those farm jacks, always have the handle up when you switch from raise to lower.  I had one knock my head half off years back.
Praise The Lord

Resonator

Are those rice patty tires on your Kubota?
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Hilltop366

The welder across the lake from me makes rings cold using a heavy pipe the size of the inside of the ring, weld the end of rod (full length) to the pipe then anchor the pipe vertically to something solid, slide some pipe over the rod and walk it around the heavy pipe keeping the pipe over the rod close to the bend (like making a spring) . After you are done winding, cut down the length of the "spring" to release the rings.

The guy that was doing this said he was going to make a electric ring roller so he did not have to wait for someone to stop by to help push.

Also know a bunch of vocational teachers that made their own chains using a large machine lathe to roll the rings on a piece of pipe, they also made their own wood boilers and logging winches.

Puffergas

The load is between the axles, so, it can not nose up. The engine sips charcoal gas.  😊

Here is a top view:

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Quote from: Resonator on January 31, 2018, 10:46:58 AM
Are those rice patty tires on your Kubota?

Yes, they dig extremely well.

Dumper worked flawless today, exactly what i needed to get up the hill ontop a muddy wet field.  It cut the number of steps down dramatically from previous technique, doubled production.  Very pleased. 

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Glad it all works for you Mike.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: mike_belben on January 31, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: firefighterontheside on January 30, 2018, 05:36:42 PM
A chain connected to each end goes over a farm jack and lifts log up level with the mill and then I can roll it on with a hook..

Thats a cheap, elegant solution id not considered, i like it. 

Be careful with those farm jacks, always have the handle up when you switch from raise to lower.  I had one knock my head half off years back.

Thanks Mike.  It works well.  I'm very careful with the jack and watch with each stroke of the handle to be sure each pin goes where it's supposed to.  The good thing is that when I lower it, it's empty.  I can just lift the chain off and lower it by hand.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Puffergas

A winch that I made for the tiny skidder. It worked well. Drum had a toggle latch. Further up in the gearing was the dog clutch, sprocket with two pins.

Now it is kind of a cross over machine, half skidder and half forwarder so I want a different winch system.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Didnt you have some vids of that machine up at one time.. Maybe on MTF?  Swear ive seen it with the gasifier on front.   

Would love to see more detail on the winch and how the takeoff power is achieved.
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

I made this rig for moving the mill and other trailers at a job where I had nothing with a hitch. 4" channel, a premade receiver blank, and some 1/4" x4" bar stock.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Puffergas

Looks like I lost what I posted. Below is the winch on the tiny skidder. Use a centrifugal clutch, chain goes to the dog clutch sprocket and also reverses the direction, from there the chain goes to the transaxle. If the dog clutch is engaged the chain on the other side turns the winch drum. the other drum side also has a sprocket that locks the winch with the toggle latch.

drum at the rear.

Jeff

Puffergas

This is the garden tractor with the gasifier in the front.

Video.

https://youtu.be/XZh7Quw1Rfc
Jeff

Mountain_d

Those tire chains look nice! Can you post a picture of your stove for heating the steel? Do you think sitting the steel on a bed of coals in an outdoor furnace would work? Do you tig weld? Do you think it could be practical with an AC stick welder? I don't have a tig yet. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

mike_belben

Wow, took me a few minutes to figure that one out.  Do you have to drop to idle to put the winch in and out of gear?

MountainD-  i used an oxyacetylene rosebud and it consumed a lot of gas.  It was just a hand torch clamped in a little scrap made holder, and a piece of angle iron that each rod layed in and i moved it every few seconds by hand while working the current piece.  Junk id tacked to the table then just knocked off after.

I would suggest hickory coals for a rod heater to save some money.  I do tig weld but that was mig.  No reason why stick cant work i guess. 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Yes, I had to drop to an idle. The chain has to stop before I could engage the dog clutch. I did not have a lever on the dog clutch so I would slide it in by hand. Even with a lever the engine would need to be at idle. I could release the winch any time.
Jeff

moodnacreek

A retired farmer friend makes ring chain rings from [car] coil springs.

mike_belben

Dozer lost reverse while pushing concrete slab demo up into a pile.  Then starter burned up.  So i guess im pulling belly pan and trans right here.  Stacked some rock under it to make some crawl space.

Praise The Lord

JesseA

I'd throw some short rounds under it. You could work it up a couple inches at a time and then get a hunk of plywood under it so you're not being rock tortured and water boarded with trans fluid at the same time. 

Oliver05262

Mike, I don't envy you one bit on that job. I'm sore just looking at that picture.
Tell us a little about that forklift? It looks like there's something missing at the rear of it??? More pictures as the job goes along would be kool.
I replaced the starter last winter on a 1010 JD gas crawler. Had to drop the belly pan to get the wires off, then take off the carburetor and sediment bowl to get the starter up and out. The fan belt broke while I was trying to pull the engine over to check the ring gear. I pulled the nose to move the hydraulic pump ahead on the front of the engine, and we found the radiator was rotten and needed a core. A very expensive job  in the end. All to replace a starter that had been on since the 1960's.
The dozer was new on that farm, and had only been used to spread manure in the winter and gather sap in the spring. Just like new, with only a bit over a thousand hours on it.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on February 06, 2018, 09:13:50 PM
Dozer lost reverse while pushing concrete slab demo up into a pile.  Then starter burned up.  So i guess im pulling belly pan and trans right here.  Stacked some rock under it to make some crawl space.

Mike is this a power shift, hydrostatic, or straight drive transmission?

mike_belben

Trans is a 3 speed powershift and i hope the issue is in the selector valve on top but i need to clear out the 5 inches of oil mulch and get to the trans sump strainer. Also think i may have a leaking oil cooler line buried in the dirt under there.

The fork is a 1960s or 70s nassco, made in alabama i think.  Detroit, 3 speed powershift, think theyre combine axles, its open dif with bald tires, gets stuck pretty easy.  Chains would help.  Its rated for like 16k and goes up maybe 18ft.  Heres best pic i have of the back, nothing missing, just wierd lookin.

Probably the best iron money i ever spent.  I have 6 or 7 of those containers and the free camper shed.. Theyre all full of metal stuff from my shop move across the country. 

Works on logs too, go figure.

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Might be worth throwing a gauge on the transmission just to see if you're even building pressure.

starmac

Mike, I am sure this isn't your first rodeo, but be careful with that belly pan. I had a comalong I was using explode holding a belly pan full of mud and grease on a 641 come within inches of making my wife a widow, and she didn't even realize it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

Wow, thats pretty heavy!   I'll use a chain and binder, unbolt it then dump it on the fork.

It pushes good going forward in all 3 gears, just not engaging reverse.  It was always slow on the first time reversing after startup, sometimes a few minutes then it'd catch and work fine all day.  To me, consistent with leakage in the control not shifting a spool to clamp the no1 clutch for reverse.

After a few months of sitting it finally quite.  Hopefully its some tired O ring.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!