iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do I start to learn about the value of trees on my farm?

Started by Les Stewart, May 04, 2019, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Stewart

How do I start to learn about the value of my trees on the farm, in Ontario, Canada. 

Sorry, I am sure the answer is here somewhere, but I can't find and would appreciate a long-term member's help.

I have a family 100-acre farm that is half woodlot. How do I go about finding out what the trees are worth?  

Someone came to us and said that we have 60 good white ash trees and offered $2000 (CAD). for them.  We also planted 30,000 white pines 40 years ago, and I'm looking to harvest some. 

There are not many people around for me to get multiple quotes to see that is fair and reasonable. 

Q: How do I find out standard prices for the logs?

I have searched online, but I must not be using the correct search keywords.

Any insights to helping me learn would be appreciated. 

Southside

You would do well to search for a consulting forester that you could hire to help you with those questions.  You want a forester who works for you, not one who is working in a procurement role for a buyer, they will give you the good, the bad, and the ugly about what you have there, what the market is, what management options exist, etc.  

Hiring a consulting forester should be like hiring any professional, lawyer, surveyor, etc.  Do your research, speak with several, and find one that you are comfortable working with.  In the end the money you pay to the consultant will be less than the additional value you receive from your land, so it's well spent.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Les,welcome to the forum. Trees are hard to price without seeing them. Follow Southside advice. You will hear the stories from some how they had their land cut and made small fortune. Sell to this mill and make money. Hard to say that without seeing the trees.  ::) I've heard many stories when I had my land cut,3 times so far. Some people have all the answers.  ??? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ID4ster

Why do you need to know the value? Do you need to know it for estate planning, property tax purposes, forest management decisions or salvage purposes? Several factors go into determining the value of the timber. Size, quality, density, type of ground that it's on, distance from a mill that processes your species of timber, time of season, forest practice laws and right of way issues. There are simply too many variables to tell you what it's worth from cyberspace. You need to contact someone that knows the markets, taxes and players in your area. As mentioned, that will be a private Consultant Forester. The biggest mistake I see is from folks that think they can do this on their own or are seduced by the first offer of money that comes along. If you want to keep the property in your family for the long term then you'll be better off determining the value of your timber in conjunction with your objectives and a written forest management plan. Sounds expensive? Not if you're interested in building your wealth. Good luck, welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask more questions.    
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Les Stewart

thank you everyone for the welcome to the forum! Appreciated!

Ive appreciated the advice: I have tried twice to engage professional help. People say they will come the next time they are in the area, but both times no one shows.  And now someone shows up and makes an offer. (This person was just walking around on our property, I guess).  

anyone in the forum from SW ontario? Advice on a professional to guide us?

Good question re: why?  1)  to sell the ash before they die from disease, so far it hasn't hit us. 
and 2) the white pine bush needs thinning, and some trees harvested.  -it seems it might be time to cull some as they were planted in 1979.

If the income is $2000 for 60 ash trees, to pay a professional to come will reduce this minimal profit, non?

If 60 trees = $2000 it seems that there is not much money in tree farming! 
Is there a place that I can look up what ash logs are worth in Ontario, Canada?

Bandmill Bandit

Get in contact with the Ontario Woodlot Association. They are an organization of woodlot owners in the province. 
https://www.ontariowoodlot.com/woodlot-marketplace

And Ontario Forestry which is a division of the ministry of the Natural Resources and Forestry.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/forestry

That  should set you on the right track.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OntarioAl

Les
Very good advice
I will offer several more
1/ What County are you in some Ontario Counties have regulations dealing with harvesting.
2/The fees you receive are not "found money" you will have to declare some of it as income you will need the advice of an accountant familiar with timber sales
3/ This chap that offered you $2000 for 60 ash trees it is highly unlikely he stood on the county road and saw your timber, it is as you suspect he trespassed and broke the law on your land and conveniently forgot to mention Black Walnut, Black Cherry, White Oak,  Red Oak, Sugar Maple and Red Maple.
To me this sets off the red lights he has crooked written all over. Put the Bums rush on him.
Follow the links provided by Sawmill Bandit hire a competent Forester who should cruise your woodlot and write up a management plan tailored towards your goals .
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

Ron Scott

Yes, follow the advice given to seek out the services of a professional consulting forester serving your area to determine the volume and value of the timber on your 50 acre farm woodlot.
~Ron

alan gage

Quote from: Les Stewart on May 09, 2019, 09:59:41 AM

If the income is $2000 for 60 ash trees, to pay a professional to come will reduce this minimal profit, non?

But if the income should be $6000 for those 60 ash trees the money paid to a professional would result in maximum profit.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Les Stewart

Quote from: OntarioAl on May 09, 2019, 07:51:41 PM
3/ This chap that offered you $2000 for 60 ash trees it is highly unlikely he stood on the county road and saw your timber, it is as you suspect he trespassed and broke the law on your land and conveniently forgot to mention Black Walnut, Black Cherry, White Oak,  Red Oak, Sugar Maple and Red Maple.
To me this sets off the red lights he has crooked written all over. Put the Bums rush on him.
Follow the links provided by Sawmill Bandit hire a competent Forester who should cruise your woodlot and write up a management plan tailored towards your goals .
Cheers
Al
would you say this is NOT common practice is very rural small town areas? 

Les Stewart

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on May 09, 2019, 10:20:47 AM
Get in contact with the Ontario Woodlot Association. They are an organization of woodlot owners in the province.
https://www.ontariowoodlot.com/woodlot-marketplace

And Ontario Forestry which is a division of the ministry of the Natural Resources and Forestry.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/forestry
thank you! I would "like" this - but I don't see the "like" button! 

Thank You Sponsors!