iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

southern yellow pine

Started by bandmiller2, February 03, 2008, 06:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I think I've got SYP to rebuiled my old Chase circular mill.The power co. replaced poles and crossarms on the highlines and left a big pile in the field I hay.Crossarms are 31/2X9"and 40' long a little weathered on the outside but solid on the inside,I'll true them up on the bandmill.How can I tell if its SYP ,it taint native up here in the northeast,it does have a pine oder no knots and came from a large tree??Their is no treatment on or in the wood I can detect.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don K

Kinda hard to tell but I bet pretty much it is a species of SYP. I think the South is the lightpole capital of the world. In my lifetime though I've seen them go from poles to Lightsticks.  ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Red pine and lodgepole pine, both northern hard pines, are used up here. They are usually treated here. You'll find the latewood in southern hard pines is much wider than the northern hard pines and no dimples when split. Red pine has no dimples either, but narrow latewood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

There's a good chance it's SYP.  Crossarms have been one of the most stringently graded products I know.  Companies here turned out trainloads and they were rejected if there was any fault or grain irregularity.  You probably won't find any better pine than in crossarms.

Captain

Frank, most of the crossarms in our area are Doug Fir. 

Captain

bandmiller2

Dougie or old yeller it going on the mill, thanks guys.Frank C.

SwampDonkey

Let us know if you see dimples coming off the mill. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Yesterday I trued up those cross arms on the Mizer,what a transformation from old weathered crap to real beauties.Probibly should have cut it into urban yuppie flooring and sold it and bought steel for the mill.Frank C. yea I approve this message.

Thank You Sponsors!