iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little too close for comfort

Started by Riggs, November 07, 2012, 10:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I can see you hunting, while I'm playing with my kids in my backyard, I think you need to move. This guy is maybe 150 yds from my backdoor with a muzzleloader. Today was the third time I've seen him. There is a little finger of land that separates my two tracts. He is one of four that lease the property, and he was on his lease by a good 18 inches, maybe even 2 feet.
It just makes me uncomfortable to have him that close and facing my house. Am I wrong?

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Okrafarmer

Hmm. A bullet can travel much farther than 150 yards, even for a muzzle loader. Now, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but just to play devil's advocate, how far away would you be comfortable with?

If you wish to press the issue, I know in some states, there is a law telling how far you must be from an occupied dwelling while hunting. In South Carolina, I believe you may not hunt within 1,000 feet of a dwelling unless you own it, or you have the specific permission of the owner of the house. 150 yards is less than half that. I don't know what the laws are in your state.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WildDog

Not sure about legally but morally it doesn't seem right to hunt that close to anothers dwelling. Our farm is a couple of miles long and the house is on the creek which is the boundary. The neighbours provide tourists (terrorists) with camping, fishing, fossicking and horseriding stays. In the past we've had a few get too close with firearms chaseing rabbits, foxs and deer. Normally the house dogs see them and start barking sending the prey running, otherwise I ask them to move on ;).

Another neighbour used to run a nudist camp. one afternoon  I was down on the creek spraying weeds with a back pack and next thing a shot gun goes off right near me, then a naked man wearing boots, an amo belt and carrying a shotgun walks out from a black-berry bush. Tackling a bloke with a gun is one thing but naked thats another thing altogether. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Chuck White

In NY, it is illegal to shoot within 500 ft of a dwelling unless you own it, etc.

Here, if you have public land or a neighbor who's land is within 500 ft of your house you can contact the D.E.C. and they will go to the adjacent landowner and will place "NO SHOOTING" signs on his property, 500 feet from your house.

It's still within reach of a rifle ball, but it makes one feel a little better about the situation.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

I would politely ask him if he would not hunt so close to your property & explain your concern for the safety of your children. If that doesn't work contact your conservation officer for advice.
Jim
Have a great day

chain

Most of those type hunters will often shoot a deer on your property and drag it to his area hoping you won't see. Which way is the prevailing wind? There are a few things you could do to make his hunting time not so pleasurable. Loud speakers with some good rock blaring; might as well entertain the dude.

Or, possibly he's the engineering type and likes to hear generators running early in the morning. :)

Magicman

I would simply contact your Conservation Officer because there are also laws that protect a lawful hunt.  He just could be baiting you with his very questionable "hunting" tactics.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

He might not know where the lines are.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Riggs

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on November 08, 2012, 07:46:18 AM
He might not know where the lines are.

But he can surely see my house and my family. I can see him from the time I turn in my driveway. He has a blind set up even closer than this.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Cypressstump

I agree, you need to check your local hunting regulations and perhaps have a friendly conversation with the guy about the close proximity to your house/kids. That kind of activity, especially him knowing how close he is, is purely unethical and unsafe to me.

The second conversation I would have is with the local game warden, while the guy is sitting in the stand for the warden to see for him self.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

Talk about a picture saying a thousands words.... I would not like at all. Even if it is so called legal. Just the idea of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dakota

No law against walking around your property banging a couple of pots together every time you see him.  Deer should love that.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

Raider Bill

Walk out and blast off your shotgun every so often.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Quote from: Dakota on November 08, 2012, 09:15:01 AM
No law against walking around your property banging a couple of pots together every time you see him.  Deer should love that.
Dakota

There is a law in Michigan about that. More serious than the guy sitting on the line. Something about the right to hunt.  I think I would just report him if you have the 500ft law there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Riggs

I have a fence probably less than 50 yards from him, no laws against maintaining my fence.
I have contacted the NC Wildlife Commission to see where I stand.
I have had several friends ask about shooting some skeet this saturday at my place since I showed them the picture.

Norwood ML 26

Okrafarmer

You could also go there at night and put a bunch of "No Hunting" signs on your side of the line, facing his way.

If I understand correctly, if he is informed that he may not hunt on your property, that also includes not shooting at an animal that he sees on your property while he is on an adjoining property. At the very least, he should be facing the other direction, hunting into the property he is on.

Quote from: Riggs on November 08, 2012, 09:28:55 AM
I have had several friends ask about shooting some skeet this saturday at my place since I showed them the picture.

Oh, that should be fun!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

Here in NY, it is legal for a person to hunt to the limits of their property lines, even if it's only 100 ft from your house, however it is against the law to shoot within 500 ft of someone else's dwelling!

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 08, 2012, 09:32:32 AM
You could also go there at night and put a bunch of "No Hunting" signs on your side of the line, facing his way.

No need to go in at night, if it's your property, you can post it at any time!

You could also get in trouble if you intentionally go out there and harrass the guy while he's hunting, there are laws against doing that!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BrothersMule

There are Harassment laws here in NC. But at the same time friends shooting skeet on your property does not sound like harassment, sounds like a good time. I think the law is you can not fire a firearm within 100 yards of a residence that is not yours. I'm about  90% sure this is the law but i was not able to find it in the regulations.

We had the same issue a few years back in Alleghany County. Neighbor to our property leased his property for the first time. He has a lot of Fraser Fur (Christmas Trees). The first blind the guy setup was within 50 yards of our house actually touching the fence. He was obviously hunting our property seeing how the tree field he was in had 6-8' trees in it and only a fence line to shot down. The second stand was also on the property line this time with a feeder. Not near the house this time the problem was his feeder was placed directly between his stand and my dads stand that has been there for over 30 years.. He had a down hill shot straight at our stand. Just not safe at all.

We got lucky by just talking to the land owner. He did not know where he had been hunting and had him move. I think they had some words about it so He no longer hunts their property. If the hunter or land owner will not reason i would just call the warden and see what options you have.

Riggs

I think it's alot about respect (and the lack of) for me. They have 95 acres leased and posted it last year which is fine, but is there no where else on 95 acres that he can get to?
I spoke with the NC Wildlife commission today and was basically told that other than ask him politely to move there wasn't much I could do. I didn't ask him about shooting skeet or cutting wood.
Maybe he will take it kindly and move. I guess we will see.

Norwood ML 26

MReinemann

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 08, 2012, 09:18:44 AM
Walk out and blast off your shotgun every so often.

I like this idea.  As a hunter I wouldn't set up somewhere even relatively close to a residence.  When I'm hunting I want to be left alone and enjoy being in the woods so to speak.  Not sure why you would want to be so close to someone's house.  However I am also a landowner and when I bought my property I went through and took down 5 tree stands and left them at the base of the trees for the owner to come and get.  (this was during hunting season).  Three of them disappeared and I never saw the hunter who was using them.  The other 2 I relocated and use them for myself and family members.  Hunters can be shady characters.  If I had a stand and someone physically took it out of the tree and set it at the base I would at least make the effort to make contact and get some details as to why.  I think owning land changes your mentality as far as hunting goes however. 
-Matt 

beenthere

If he has his stand backed up to your line, then he would be shooting away from your house. IMO best scenario.
If he moved his stand 150 yards from your line, then he may have a situation where a deer runs through that 150 yd strip and he shoots at it, towards your house. Not so good, IMO.
Might just be the safest place for him to have his blind/stand so he is shooting towards his leased land.

The way I see it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riggs

Quote from: beenthere on November 08, 2012, 09:27:32 PM
If he has his stand backed up to your line, then he would be shooting away from your house. IMO best scenario.
If he moved his stand 150 yards from your line, then he may have a situation where a deer runs through that 150 yd strip and he shoots at it, towards your house. Not so good, IMO.
Might just be the safest place for him to have his blind/stand so he is shooting towards his leased land.

The way I see it.

As I said in the OP, there is a finger of land separating my two tracts of land. He is backed up to the line on the second tract, facing my house, (worst scenerio) hoping something will come out in the finger he has leased (which is a recently harvested corn field). If you look at the picture he is looking in my direction.

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

QuoteIf you look at the picture he is looking in my direction.

Smiling for the camera?

Maybe just go have a talk with him, and get assurance that he is not shooting onto your land.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Since he is a "leaseholder" then there is a "landowner".  Maybe talking to the landowner is a solution.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Riggs,I noticed he was facing the camera too. That part I did not like at all. I own land around me,so no way that could happen,except on the garage side. I say again,I would not like that at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!